Thread: Emissions quandary: Help needed!

Emissions quandary: Help needed!

Ok guys, I need some help. My car won't communicate completely with the VA emissions DEQ computers. It will go through 59 of 60 seconds of the test then disconnects. It therefore does not pass or fail so cannot be reregistered. If it fails, I have to spend a minimum of 780 bucks in repairs to get a 2 year waiver. My Indy and the dealer are stumped as my vag tool, snap on obd2, and Audi scan tool cannot find any errors and show readiness. Anybody in the braintrust have ideas? All fuses and modules have been checked without help. The DEQ is also stumped but will not issue a waiver. They told me there are 6 other RS6 in Virginia and only mine has this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovegt100 View Post
    Ok guys, I need some help. My car won't communicate completely with the VA emissions DEQ computers. It will go through 59 of 60 seconds of the test then disconnects. It therefore does not pass or fail so cannot be reregistered. If it fails, I have to spend a minimum of 780 bucks in repairs to get a 2 year waiver. My Indy and the dealer are stumped as my vag tool, snap on obd2, and Audi scan tool cannot find any errors and show readiness. Anybody in the braintrust have ideas? All fuses and modules have been checked without help. The DEQ is also stumped but will not issue a waiver. They told me there are 6 other RS6 in Virginia and only mine has this problem.
    Dropping you a PM - my beast had the same trouble at one local shop, I found another shop that was able to make it work. If you head in there today, there's another member's car there, and I'll be stopping by to drop off his replacement alternator and hopefully pick up the core to have it rebuilt for Turbowned

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Dropping you a PM - my beast had the same trouble at one local shop, I found another shop that was able to make it work. If you head in there today, there's another member's car there, and I'll be stopping by to drop off his replacement alternator and hopefully pick up the core to have it rebuilt for Turbowned

O_E
    Ditto this. My car 'timed out' on the wireless dongle version of the OBD readiness inspection system and passed on the wired setup at another shop. The shop that passed it said that it was the longest he'd ever seen it take to run an OBD inspection.

I wish I could explain it, or someone could explain it to me . . .
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Rudy sold his old inspection tool. Failed to connect to total of 12 different machines. Audi scan tool still has no faults and all modules have been checked. I am planning on changing garaging locations and or selling car. Out of options. Sux...

Spending $780 in labor/parts for a two year waver is easy

I shouldn't talk, I've got to deal with emissions soon. I think it's $250 labor for an attempted fix and one year waver.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

On the plus side that means it is time for some new cat less down pipes... Anybody got a lead on some? These cars seem to sound better with that mod in place.

On the plus side that means it is time for some new cat less down pipes... Anybody got a lead on some? These cars seem to sound better with that mod in place.
    So no plans on passing emissions in the future eh? You'll need a custom tune to code out the CEL for the O2 sensors. Not sure if you can get away with spacing them back to not get a CEL, works on some cars.

Edit; It can be a 6-10 hour job, motor needs to be lifted, turbo bolts are nasty, fyi.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Rudy sold his old inspection tool. Failed to connect to total of 12 different machines. Audi scan tool still has no faults and all modules have been checked. I am planning on changing garaging locations and or selling car. Out of options. Sux...

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, one viable option is to establish a LLC in the state of Montana & transfer the asset (title) from your personal name to the LLC which is based in Montana.

Folks who purchase high end cars new prefer the Montana LLC option b/c Montana has no sales tax! IE 6% sales tax on a $200,000 car = 12k in most states = $0 in Montana. While this aspect does not apply to your RS6, you could maintain the LLC and take advantage of this on your next new car purchase.

Furthermore proponents of the Montana LLC method enjoy low licensing fees, no personal property tax, (which I suspect your getting tagged with in VA), no annual inspections and a ONE TIME FLAT FEE REGISTRATION for all vehicles over 11 years old. Also you can keep your existing state drivers license.

PM me for additional details....
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Can't resist....

Have you tried using another ECU?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I am planning on changing garaging locations and or selling car. Out of options. Sux...
    I have a few cars registered in Fredericksburg, no emissions there.