Thread: Any way to confirm TCU chipped?

Any way to confirm TCU chipped?

Original owner had APR EMCS installed way back in 2004. It didn't work when I bought the call so I called APR and spoke with Justin (i think). Anyway, when they agreed to do a warranty transfer, he said all of their ECU upgrades came with TCU upgrade as well and he wasn't sure if I should send that in along with the ECU. They determined they were "confident" the TCU tune was fine and I only sent in the ECU.

I've had my suspicions that the TCU was stock since i bought it so i pulled it out tonight and cracked her open. No soldered chip installed at all so i have a couple questions.

Are all TCU upgrades (MTM, Viper, Revo, etc.) a physical visible chip, or can they be flashed?

Any way to confirm via vagcom?

Could a stock TCU intervene with power from a tuned ECU, such as TCU sees too much torque and somehow cuts power?
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Same question I have wondered myself. I do not wish to derail but where is the TCU? Under the ECU? I have been thinking of pulling mine and checking to see whats what. Trans holds gears to 2500 no matter how gentle (or off) I am with the throttle and is always eager to downshift.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

If you are sitting in the passenger seat, it is under the carpet under your left knee.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

APR asked me to send in TCU and ECU (in case they need it to "marry" together). No hassle when i called, hopefully I'll answer some of my own questions.

I'll check if the shift points are higher/faster by comparing old/new data logs once I get it back.

I'll also crack it open to see if there's a soldered chip.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Soldered chip is the only way to do it. Just check your TCU, if the label is cut, someone has been in there. No other reason to be in there...