Thread: 86k and its time to do some maintenance on her

86k and its time to do some maintenance on her

I bought the RS6 about a month ago and when I got it home I found a oil leak, it wasnt bad but was hitting the passenger exhaust manifold and the smell went straight into the cabin filter so I just put her up on jack stands last weekend and its pretty filthy under the front dust panel. The plastic panel has 2 small holes from rubbing on things the prior owners hit so the oil was coming out of both side but looks like I have a few leaks that need to be addressed.

The one that appears to be coming from the LS valve cover gasket (which has been replaced before) might be one of a couple leaks, I also have oil on the starter and found a nice power steering fluid leak but Im not sure where its leaking from yet.

The timing belt and water pump job were already on the list of things to do but looks like it will be a little more than expected. I hope I dont need to yank the Engine and Transmission, that doesnt sound like fun.

BTW, the smaller carbon Fiber panel that uses the aircraft panel releases looks like it just sits on the other pannel's hardware, should there be a rubber grommet on either panel where the two meet?

Yes. There should be a rubber piece, mine were mostly gone so I ended up buying some rubber grommets from the miscellaneous hardware section at Wilco, should be able to get grommets or even just surgical tubing from a hardware store.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

I noticed the top of my smaller cover doesnt go high enough on the studs so Im assuming the studs had something screwed into them to extend them towards the smaller cover. Ill see if i can find a OEM parts picture and see if it shows something.

I can get a pic for you when I get home tonight, I have the airbox off anyway doing some valve cover and EGT work.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

It it is more than you'd think. If you like that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
    I hope I dont need to yank the Engine and Transmission, that doesnt sound like fun.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

This is what mine look like. Sorry about the upside down pic, it seems posting from my phone doesn't work as well as from a computer..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	16756

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    This is what mine look like. Sorry about the upside down pic, it seems posting from my phone doesn't work as well as from a computer..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	16756
    I thought something screwed into the threaded end, my cover won't be able to use a grommet like that. Thanks for the pic!