Thread: Center diff rear seal leak-Repaired!

Center diff rear seal leak-Repaired!

Just got the car back from having the rear seal on the center diff replaced. I went from having a dry garage floor to having a significant pool of fluid in about 3 days. This was different from the usual leaks I have experienced in many cars over the years, where a small leak worsens over a period of months and reaches a point where it can't be tolerated.
    Good news is that the dealer had the seal in stock--I guess it must be the same for many other Audis.

Question is whether the harder mounts I had installed a few years ago might have played any role here. Any thoughts? Just never had a drivetrain leak like this before.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Apparently this seal is a very common fail point on all audi/vw's and C5's. Had mine done recently, but proactively as it was only weeping.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

DO you have the P/n? i need to replace mine.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I have the PN at work and will post it Monday. Any auto parts store has it in National and National is a good brand. I think it was like $7 and took all of 20 minutes to replace. Its super simple as long as you have an impact and a T45. I went from a drop one night to an 8" puddle the next. Also remember to top off the center diff with 75W90 gear oil with friction modifier in it. That diff only holds a tiny amount of oil and mine took nearly a half bottle and they dont even take a full bottle when empty.

But just get the nose or whole car in the air, unbolt the center section of exhaust, mark (to make sure you put it on in the same spot as thats how they are balanced) and then unbolt the driveshat from the yolk and loosen the carrier bearings mount and just rest the shaft on the exhaust. Impact with a T45 on the yolk, slip out and then pop the seal out with a seal puller. I dont like screw drivers as you can scar the housing and seal pullers are like $5. Then just smear grease on the inside and outside of the new seal and pop it in and use a socket thats the same outer diameter as the seal and GENTLY tap it in. It slips in real easy. Then reverse everything else and you are good for a few more years.

I could use that part number well, looked under the car and its seeping a little.