Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My brand new second hand RS6

Hope that's not an A3 diesel haha
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

I have no problem turning wrenches. That's what I do for a living. We were just getting ready to drop the rear end ourselves and just plasti-weld the valve when Audi called and said they would cover it all. I expected a week or so but now its been 3. Not complaining as they are doing a lot, I just miss my car. I miss the hand of gawd pushing you into the seat when you nail it. I miss flying around corners like they were not even there.

BTW its my 4th Audi and I was the manager at Audi of Maui from the day they opened until I started at University of Hawaii a dozen years ago. We never had a car down more than 4 days. Man was parts shipping outrageous! LOL
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Hope that's not an A3 diesel haha
    LOL. She almost gave me one thinking I requested it. Nope. Its just a base 1.8T. Think its sole option is the huge glass sunroof. Nice car. Turbo downpipe was a nice silver when I picked it up. Has a good blue to it now. LOL

Argh. Audi service writer called me just now. Good thing shes so nice. She was smart enough to mention it was her birthday before she dropped the bad news. Pumps on backorder. Coming from Germany.

This blows as my buddy that is going to do the timing belt is gonna be out of touch after the 17th for a month or so and with the cars current mileage its a tossup as to if the belt was done or not and I dont want to chance it. Wish this car had better maintenance history paperwork.
    The American distributor for an Italian speaker company wants to send me a few thousand dollars worth of speakers to try in it but wont send them until the car gets back. If it dont get back soon enough they will end up going to another guy. Hate to miss out on that opportunity.

What pump?

Got it...fuel pump. Wth backordered...its only tge lift pump and most likely not rs6 specific

Some days.......
    Get a call from Audi this afternoon. Well knowing they wouldn't overnight the pump I was ready for more bad news. I get told my lug studs are too long. They rub. O'rly? They rub? Something that's been on there for years and a part I have removed 7 times myself and torques to spec, they grew? So they want me to buy $260 in bolts. I tell her I will call her right back. Hoped in the loaner and made the 97 mile drive in 58 minutes. She was surprised to see me. Now I know its not my service techs fault. Mechanic told her, let her hear the constant "whirrshhhh" sound as the wheel is being spun so she called me. I told the mechanic spin the wheel. Heard the familiar sound of a ceramic pad on a drilled rotor. I have my tech with me and he goes under the car and sees the lug bolts are 1/4" away from hitting anything.
    Seriously? You are the guy working on my car? I can see every Audi in the shop has drilled rotors, lets see what happens on this new RS7 in the air. Oh look, they must have too long of wheel bolts too because it makes the same sound.
    So since the tank is installed I wanted to take the "Swollen pump" and see if it fit but instead had 3 techs explain the issue as nobody offered up the pump. Turns out the fuel sending unit for the lift pump plastic case is what has swollen and I could see the deformed hole on the old tank where it had ovaled a bit. So I assume that wasn't BS.
    Those lug bolts though, that pissed me off.

Thank you ethanol

End rant

Lug bolts? You got to be fin kidding me

That's a new one for the books.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

She sent me a picture and mine are about 2mm longer than the OEM ones so they had been changed. After we heard the noise the tech started saying how they at Audi like to make sure its perfect to spec etc etc etc. I said "Yet you offered to remove the rest of the DRC stuff since I had coilovers. Tell ya what, take those new lug nuts and throw them on. If the noise stops, lunch on me for the week. If its still there, you throw in the filter and shaft seal for free." There were no takers.
    I was thrilled with them until that point. That was just stupid. If he really thought that he should have taken the new bolts and installed them and tried it. He could have save a lot of face.

Last edited by LaserSVT; October 10th, 2015 at 19:21.

Yes! Found the dealer that took care of the car the last 7 years. Service writer who also owns 4 RS cars said the car was only worked on by the tech he uses for his. Car was very meticulously maintained and he is sending me all the paperwork. He was familiar with the car and let me know it had the new cats installed last year as well as new O2s but the best part is at 65k it had the full timing service done with pump and all pulleys and tensioners plus had a power steering leak repair and replaced a worn out Bilstein shock. Was over $8000 on its last service. This saves me a ton of money and gives me great peace of mind to know there is proof of its history.
    Last edited by LaserSVT; October 10th, 2015 at 18:20.

beautiful mugello blue brother enjoy it!

Audi dealer is such a tease! "Your fuel pump is installed. Tech is going to go get some gas and test drive it and you can come get it." Getting gas? Had about 12 gallons in it. "Tech said gas smelled old so they want fresh gas for it." Car hasnt been at your dealer THAT long. LOL Oh, its that special $7 a gallon Audi gas. Fine, can I have my car? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? "Tech said your gas gauge isnt working so ill call you tomorrow." Tell the tech to go on driver side of tank cover and remove ring for sending unit and rotate it counter clockwise 1/8 turn so the arrow is pointing forward. "Gonna be tomorrow."
    I keep having that scene from Ferris Buelers Day Off with the two garage guys jumping the Ferrari playing in my head.

They always seem to give the car back on a Friday for the 2 day weekend buffer...;0
    210K miles rolled

Fuel problem solved. They didn't plug it in. Now the car vibrates bad when it accelerates.

Who are these idiots?

Has dealer service really dropped this low?
    Last edited by DHall1; October 16th, 2015 at 20:59.

Said with the car in the air they can spin the rear tires and see the drive shaft moving. Tried adjusting carrier bearing position with no change. Awaiting leed tech to finish meeting and inspect car. Sounds like they damaged the carrier bearing when they removed everything.
    That car didn't have the slightest hint of vibration before. Not at any speed or accelerator position.

It sounds like they did something wrong when re-assembled the rear subframe assy.

Good golly, you're a patient man. You've female service adviser must be a real looker.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Shes a pretty gal. Shes a nice person too. Problem is they have a 20 year old kid fresh out of UTI working on it. When I went down for the "You lug bolts are too long" issue and saw this kid working on my car I was ready to tow it home right then. But then it seemed the leed tech was supervising him at that point so I thought it MAY be okay. Now...... I dunno. I do understand the statement "It made my blood boil." It was 61* and I started sweating like I was in the Sahara and thought I was going to stroke out I was so pissed. I am contemplating closing my shop early again and just driving down there. Drive it home or throw it on a truck. I should have just plastic welded the damn valve myself and then I could have enjoyed the car the last 3 weeks.