Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: My brand new second hand RS6

Got the baseline runs done today. Run one did 374hp and 377 tq, second run did 388 hp and 367 tq. Both runs the car ran 11.8psi and by the 3rd and 4th run the computer pulled the max boost down to 9psi which is the stock limitations. That gave me a true number of 336 whp and 353.5 wtq.
    ECU is now getting remapped and the TCU is in route to be redone at 034 Motorsports. Should run 18 psi when done. Its a bit lean on the top end where it goes to 13.1:1 A/F. Thats with a tailpipe sniffer and with the high flow cats an exhaust which I think may be causing the little bit of lean on the top end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm-K...ature=youtu.be
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

It also appears to have had some sort of trans tune.

Interesting, sounds like your ECU is tuned after all as stock will never go above 8-9psi, but still a mild tune. Tough to tell what kind of TCU tune it is, MTM was just flashed onto stock chips usually, GIAC would put a brand sticker on. Still might be nice to use the 034 products though, certainly for more boost.

Your boost and hp/tq numbers are dropping due to heat soak. Get that water meth!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The IATs on all the runs were 110-117*. The lowest one was the third run. Normally on the street the car only sees 9.2psi at WOT. Every once in a while it would give me 11psi for a second and then almost instantly drop to 9.2
    Guy running the dyno does a lot o VWs and said thats normal on a stock tune to run a little extra boost for the first run and then go to stock limits after.

Also after much research it seems the RS6 is supposed to be 9-10 stock with the ocasional ability to spike to 12. Found that in several threads on here as well as all the other Audi forums.

Couple that with my free flow cats and exhaust and I can see it spooling the turbos harder.

It was tuned but we will never know what crappy tune it had.

Data logs are used to evaluate requested vs actual on key items. And clue to what tune it had

It was running lean. All the good tunes run lots of fuel up top

At 18psi, you are not leaving yourself a lot of room. My car was out of fuel at 17-18 psi, with a stock fuel system. Ended up around 16 psi. Also, even if it runs 18 psi, it will likely drop off to 12-13 anyway up top. The turbine housing is tiny and can't support that kind of boost duration, let alone the heat soak. So if you're over boosting by 2-3psi now, at 18psi, you'll be over 20psi...yanking timing and heating up that intake air something fierce. It will feel good for a few seconds, but it will fall on it's face fairly quickly...been there done that...

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    It was tuned but we will never know what crappy tune it had.

Data logs are used to evaluate requested vs actual on key items. And clue to what tune it had

It was running lean. All the good tunes run lots of fuel up top
    It still has the computer in it. I could always data log whats in there when the TCU gets back. For the ECU they are sending me a hand held tuner with the files. But when I saw the 13.1 afr I thought it MAY have had someoes early half ass attempt at a tune and just wanted it gone. Now I am thinking of waiting till I can data log it just to make sure the fuel pump isnt at 100% DC already with those 11lb spikes and then know I have a weak pump.
    Cars tail pipes always stay soot free. Seems like every other turbo car I had ran rich enough to keep them dirty.

But then again in my experience on dynos, tail sniffers usually read leaner than a wideband closer to the engine.

There are lots of things to worry about when modding a car. Thats why I went with a tuning company that many suggested and after speaking to seem to know these cars. I will be using the same tune many othrs are and everyone with that tune says they love it and have run thousands of miles on it.
    Car will be strapped back on the dyno after the tune and we will watch the A/F closely and if it gets too lean we will just shut down and look at replacing the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    At 18psi, you are not leaving yourself a lot of room. My car was out of fuel at 17-18 psi, with a stock fuel system. Ended up around 16 psi. Also, even if it runs 18 psi, it will likely drop off to 12-13 anyway up top. The turbine housing is tiny and can't support that kind of boost duration, let alone the heat soak. So if you're over boosting by 2-3psi now, at 18psi, you'll be over 20psi...yanking timing and heating up that intake air something fierce. It will feel good for a few seconds, but it will fall on it's face fairly quickly...been there done that...
    Yes, it will drop to 12-13 up top and only hits the 17.5 right in the middle. Here is their dyno run:

I know I sound like a broken record but

Without the damn data log...you have no f'in idea wth is going on with the engine sensors and boost control valves.

I mean come on man. You have no business throwing any damn tune on this car until its data logged.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    It still has the computer in it. I could always data log whats in there when the TCU gets back. For the ECU they are sending me a hand held tuner with the files. But when I saw the 13.1 afr I thought it MAY have had someoes early half ass attempt at a tune and just wanted it gone. Now I am thinking of waiting till I can data log it just to make sure the fuel pump isnt at 100% DC already with those 11lb spikes and then know I have a weak pump.
    Cars tail pipes always stay soot free. Seems like every other turbo car I had ran rich enough to keep them dirty.

But then again in my experience on dynos, tail sniffers usually read leaner than a wideband closer to the engine.

There are lots of things to worry about when modding a car. Thats why I went with a tuning company that many suggested and after speaking to seem to know these cars. I will be using the same tune many othrs are and everyone with that tune says they love it and have run thousands of miles on it.
    Car will be strapped back on the dyno after the tune and we will watch the A/F closely and if it gets too lean we will just shut down and look at replacing the pump.

I know I sound like a broken record but

Without the damn data log...you have no f'in idea wth is going on with the engine sensors and boost control valves.

I mean come on man. You have no business throwing any damn tune on this car until its data logged.
    Isnt that what the first part of what you quoted was pretty much saying? That I can data log it before I put the engine tune on there? Car already had a trans tune and I am just getting a better one but like I said, I can wait to load the engine tune on it. I have tried to borrow one locally but he keeps flaking. I have tried to order the cable and software twice but both times the transaction was canceled for some reason. The last time was late Friday so I have to call them tomorrow to see what is going on with it. There is a member coming through tomorrow and he may let me borrow his for a bit. If he does then I can get the data at the end of the week.

What data numbers is it that you want (i know you said before but I cant find the post). I assume we want to see commanded boost vs actual and commanded fuel vs actual and if there is any knock sensor activity. I know the IATs are staying fairly cool. So what other data is wanted/needed?

I assume all of this is because you suspect there may be an issue with the vehicle that may become more pronounced with more power commanded? Or is it just to make sure it is healthy before the wick is turned up?

Okay, found your other post Dave. Didnt realize it was so early in the thread:
    "Vagcom data log 3,31,115 in turbo mode. 3rd gear 2500 to redline and post the log. This will ensure things are running well."

What are those three data points for?

BTW, here is the cars dyno run from where it held 9.2 psi max. It did two runs that were perfect copies of each other so we figured this was the cars true number. Both runs started with the IATs at 129* and by the end of the run they were under 119*.

Requested vs actual is what you need

Boost
    A/f

Then look at timing

3 31 115

More if there is any problem with the above. The car is lean but why is the question.

After 2 data logs....do sneaky reset and do 2 more.

Results may surprise

Dyno chart tells very little

Sorry to jump in on lazer's thread but after finally figuring out I had 2 bad MAFs that were kicking out wacky codes and pointing no where near a MAF code Im getting ready to take a data dump myself.

Boost, and blocks 3,31 and 115 are what everyone's is looking at? I noticed my hex-net has 3-4 boost blocks to measure, amongst plenty of other things and wanted to make sure Im getting the ones I need.

Funny, the car runs much better at half throttle than if I pin it. I have 2 MAFS inbound and hoping the car runs much better than before. The car was jerking and downshifting, giving me ECU and TCU were not talking. Unplugged the MAFS and all went away...other than the MAF code now.

Requested vs actual is what you need

Boost
    A/f

Then look at timing

3 31 115

More if there is any problem with the above. The car is lean but why is the question.

After 2 data logs....do sneaky reset and do 2 more.

Results may surprise

Dyno chart tells very little
    I think (or hope) that the issue was due to it being a tail sniffer or to it being an old and crappy tune. But my friend is coming out with the computer in hand Friday night after my TCU gets in so we can do those runs with the vagcom. If all looks good and the fuel pump isnt near max and the tune is actually commanding a leaner condition (or if it is right on just the dyno sniffer was off) then I will go ahead and load the new performance tune that same night. There are some things happening Saturday and I need to make back some of this money from some unsuspecting Evo and STi drivers.
    I took them down once. Next time they are supposed to have their 100 shot bottles loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
    Sorry to jump in on lazer's thread but after finally figuring out I had 2 bad MAFs that were kicking out wacky codes and pointing no where near a MAF code Im getting ready to take a data dump myself.

Boost, and blocks 3,31 and 115 are what everyone's is looking at? I noticed my hex-net has 3-4 boost blocks to measure, amongst plenty of other things and wanted to make sure Im getting the ones I need.

Funny, the car runs much better at half throttle than if I pin it. I have 2 MAFS inbound and hoping the car runs much better than before. The car was jerking and downshifting, giving me ECU and TCU were not talking. Unplugged the MAFS and all went away...other than the MAF code now.
    Do NOT boost the car without MAF's or with known or suspected bad MAF's.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Do NOT boost the car without MAF's or with known or suspected bad MAF's.
    The only reason I found out I had bad mafs was looking at them on teh freeway, and they were not really responding as they should, I never got a MAf code, just ECU and TCU not talking and car running lean which those codes came and went a few times. Im not sure how else one would find out what was wrong with the car. The car bucked in a turn, which is why I started troubleshooting and dont see any other way to find and fix other than throwing expensive parts at it.

I wasn't suggesting that your MAF's were not your problem, I was just responding to your post above (#230) in which you declared you were still driving the car hard; "Funny, the car runs much better at half throttle than if I pin it." I was just saying that you should never "pin it" once you know your MAF's are BAD. Unfortunately, bad MAF's usually don't throw a code, but when the car starts driving like crap and hesitating, etc...that is usually a sign, so I think you are barking up the correct tree. Your MAF's are the only thing telling your ECU how much fuel to provide under boost...