Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polar White RS6 Avant build

So to add some details to this thread

What were some of the changes needed to swap instrument cluster and steering wheel?

Did you relocate the battery to the rear? How did you run the cables?

Rear subframe? Did you swap the RS6 subframe with diff?

What about fuel tank and pumps?

What about the coolant after run pump and wires. Did you have to run new wires?

I have feelers out for a S6 and could be doing this soon. Must need head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    So to add some details to this thread

What were some of the changes needed to swap instrument cluster and steering wheel?

Did you relocate the battery to the rear? How did you run the cables?

Rear subframe? Did you swap the RS6 subframe with diff?

What about fuel tank and pumps?

What about the coolant after run pump and wires. Did you have to run new wires?

I have feelers out for a S6 and could be doing this soon. Must need head examined.
    Nothing needed to swap cluster and wheel, except immobilizer stuff. Plug and play on my car (I had sport steering wheel with shifters in S6)

Battery will be in the front so as to not take up any room in the trunk. Either where the SAI pump was, or next to coolant tank

RS6 avants used the same aluminum rear subframe as the the RS6 so I left it rather than swap with the steel sedan one. Swapping RS6 rear diff and center driveshaft over.

Using stock S6 tank with AEM in tank pump. Swapping over all the RS6 larger lines though.

After run pump wiring is part of the engine harness. The after run coolant valve located at the bottom of the radiator is getting deleted.

It's actually a lot easier than you would expect. Just time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by canyon View Post
    Battery will be in the front so as to not take up any room in the trunk. Either where the SAI pump was, or next to coolant tank.
    Will be interested in seeing exactly how you manage this. I deleted my SAI some time ago and I feel confident in saying I certainly wouldn't be able to get a battery in to the front passenger area. There is some room in the cowling area, but it requires a full revisit of the air cabin filter, coolant tank, brake booster and ECU locations IMO. Anyway, pics will show all and look forward to seeing those ones.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks

Yep on the dash pin to convert.

I was thinking about the rear hubs...may be needed for caliper mounting

Nothing needed to swap cluster and wheel, except immobilizer stuff. Plug and play on my car (I had sport steering wheel with shifters in S6)

Battery will be in the front so as to not take up any room in the trunk. Either where the SAI pump was, or next to coolant tank

RS6 avants used the same aluminum rear subframe as the the RS6 so I left it rather than swap with the steel sedan one. Swapping RS6 rear diff and center driveshaft over.

Using stock S6 tank with AEM in tank pump. Swapping over all the RS6 larger lines though.

After run pump wiring is part of the engine harness. The after run coolant valve located at the bottom of the radiator is getting deleted.

It's actually a lot easier than you would expect. Just time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Thanks

Yep on the dash pin to convert.

I was thinking about the rear hubs...may be needed for caliper mounting
    You have to use the RS6 rear hubs for the brake swap. God knows why they chose to use the stupid ones that are on the S6. RS6 and Allroad are the same.

You have to use the RS6 rear hubs for the brake swap. God knows why they chose to use the stupid ones that are on the S6. RS6 and Allroad are the same.
    I wish I had the time to figure out how to adapt the RS6 rear calipers and rotors to the S6 carriers. It's about 4.25 lbs unsprung weight savings per side with the aluminum carriers.

I won't have to diet as much, too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I wish I had the time to figure out how to adapt the RS6 rear calipers and rotors to the S6 carriers. It's about 4.25 lbs unsprung weight savings per side with the aluminum carriers.

I won't have to diet as much, too.
    I'm sure it can be done, but it won't be easy. You'll have to fab a new caliper carrier. The S6 uses a goofy caliper carrier. Then there's the whole dust shield being sandwiched between the bearing and the bearing carrier.

I actually have a spare set of RS6 rear calipers and carriers I'd sell if anyone needs them. No pads or rotors.

You don't by chance, have the power switch to the steering wheel height/telescoping do you? Mine stopped moving up. I know it has to be the switch, as when I take my key out the wheel moves up. I'm guessin the contact inside is going bad.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    You don't by chance, have the power switch to the steering wheel height/telescoping do you? Mine stopped moving up. I know it has to be the switch, as when I take my key out the wheel moves up. I'm guessin the contact inside is going bad.
    I might. Let me check when I get to work tomorrow.

I've been slacking. Finally back at it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (13).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	16972

Exciting!

You're gonna take the bumper off before putting that thing in, right?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yes the front end will come off before the RS6 engine/trans is installed so that the lock carrier, radiator, and electric cooling fans can all be installed.

Since I don't see the subframe on the engine stand, do you lift the engine place and then hang it from the unibody to get the subframe in place?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I bolted the subframe back into the car so I can push it in and out of the shop and not clog up one of my bays for work. Plus I need to push it over to detail and pressure wash the engine bay.

More progress today. Almost everything needed out of the donor car, and all the unwanted parts taken off the avant.

Name:	image1 (16).jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	17074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2 (7).jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	17075

More progress today. Almost everything needed out of the donor car, and all the unwanted parts taken off the avant.

Name:	image1 (16).jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	17074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2 (7).jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	17075
    Aren't swapping the fenders and hood? What about the front uprights? Did the wahon already have the same aluminum parts as the RS? w'hat about the fule lines, pump, etc? Wagon have the larger lines?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Hood, fenders, and steering knuckles are all the same on the S6. Larger fuel lines are being swapped from the sedan to the avant. Running the S6 fuel tank with single in tank pump with larger wiring to support it.