Thread: New tranny refinements

New tranny refinements

Hello all...new tranny through dealership installed last June/ July- stock AOA imported as a re-build from Germany.

So, what is now noted is a different animal from the older tranny - no slip and all rock solid with no oil leaks etc.

However, the big question is this: premature up-shifts that resemble a 'mule kick' when in drive and allowing car to go forward in almost idle in first gear with slight increase in speed on level or sloped surface- car lunges forward into second gear almost instantaneously- this may happen between 0 and 5 to 10 mph and then into third at 20-30 mph and if I don't accelerate it can go into 4th. even below 40 mph. Another scenario is upon normal acceleration or strong drive it performs more normally but this pre-mature 1st. to second is killing me...as I drive around a parking lot or up a driveway/ ramp etc. it is constantly kicking into second quite abruptly???

Say you are cruising looking for a parking space and in first gear/ it will constantly up-shift into 2nd. at very low speeds- under 5mph.

Is this a function of the TC??? Computer regulated- I am to make a stink at the dealership but want more info to feed them so that they don't deem it normal- the older tranny was nothing like this. Car is stock.

Any insight as usual is appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by orcars6; August 28th, 2015 at 16:11. Reason: spelling

Sneaky reset

Then drive for a day

talk to service advisor today and he said that the tranny control module??? was reprogramed....taking it in for a look and investigation...any more feedback guys?

I think you're doing the right thing by taking it back to them. Sounds like its hunting for the right gear for some reason...

Everyone I've talk to says the control module cannot be flashed, not even at the dealer lever, must be re-coded as a repair attempt initially and if that fails then replaced.

As far as the sneaky reset goes, the $hit works. I don't know how exactly yet but it does.

Dont hold your breath. I call bs on the service advisor.

Nothing to do with TC lockup. They will be ordering a new trans.

Did you sneaky reset yet?

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    talk to service advisor today and he said that the tranny control module??? was reprogramed....taking it in for a look and investigation...any more feedback guys?
    Last edited by DHall1; August 29th, 2015 at 02:03.

TC not locking up, Valve Body not working right, or trans not holding the gear due to misplaced seals during rebuild. My guess is trans is bad, that sounds like slipping then finally being able to grab a gear.

I got a steering rack refurbed from AoA once, died after two weeks, junk, second one worked.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Well, its going back in and on them this time! Here we go again and again and again!

lswing, I agree with you now- after an quite evening test drive around the hood - I slowly moved forward from 1st. and then the newly noted rattle and then abrupt kick into 2nd. is perhaps a notorious 'SLIP' rather than a pre-mature shift but the tranny is shifting early....once twice- every time - a rattle and a kick 1st. to 2nd. and more noticeable in sport mode! back to dealer next week! Remember this is the new tranny with only 2 months and 2000 miles on it???

Yes, leave it with the shop and don't accept it back until it's functioning perfectly. I don't trust Audi refurb parts after getting hosed by the faulty steering rack.

I've gone through one TC failure, and two trans failures. Here is my input on those. I'm also tuned putting out about 75/125 more than stock, so you being stock there should be NO issue with the trans lasting.

TC - Couldn't really feel the problem unless I was trying to. CEL, and had the code for it.

1st trans - complete failure similar to your symptoms. Would spin in first or second, revs rise, then grab hard like being hit with a hammer. Fluid full of clutch material.

2nd trans - felt a bit soft under power, then started to jump out of gear and to the next available with the same hard hit when under WOT. Fluid clean, so maybe a bad seal or glazed clutch.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com