Thread: Looking at an RS6 in Portland

Looking at an RS6 in Portland

I just headed down to Milwaukie, OR tonight to take a look at a Daytona Gray RS6 with my buddy tonight. He found it posted online and is considering buying it. You can see it in this ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/5186991758.html. Last four of the VIN are 905344. Just wondering if anyone has any information on it. It's listed once in the VIN thread, posted up for auction in CA in 2013. That's all the information I could find on it.

Anyway, from what I could tell tonight it seems to be a pretty good value for the price. Exterior is fairly clean, interior is decent. Scuffs on all the normal buttons, missing trunk pop button (the one beside the driver seat), some aftermarket accessories here and there related to the aftermarket stereo system. The foglights (both front and rear) don't work, or at least don't turn on with the light switch. Wheels are a bit beat up, no major dings but the finish is peeling pretty badly. The little "cleco" clips for the front engine cover are missing, which seems to be a common theme, but all of the front exterior trim pieces are still firmly attached. Brakes are pretty worn. We weren't able to take it for a test drive so I can't attest to the trans or DRC (it is still on DRC). Engine sounded good. I did a scan and got three engine codes:

18393 - Coolant Control Module 2 (J671)
    P1985 - 002 - Malfunction - Intermittent
    17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
    P1455 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
    P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent

I know the EGT one is common and not that big a deal, the EVAP one doesn't concern me too much either since it won't have to pass emissions, but I'm not sure about the coolant control module one. Anyone have any experience there?

Trans has no codes, but as has been proven that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. There were a few codes pertaining to the missing stock radio, but that was it.

It has white and wood interior, Audi all-weather floor mats, and non-SE exhaust. Not sure if it's tuned, the dealer didn't know and I wasn't sure of any way to verify with VCDS short of driving WOT and checking peak boost.

Anyway, what did I miss that should be checked? What do folks think of the price?

Also, one very cool side story: after looking at the car, my buddy and I headed down the street to Dutch Bros Coffee to grab some drinks for the drive back home (as anyone in the area can attest, they have the best coffee around). While we were waiting for our drinks, I was talking with the barista and mentioned we had just looked at an RS6. Turns out her dad just bought a red RS6 recently! Gregg, would that be you? Or is there another red RS6 in the area? Considering how few RS6's there are, it's definitely a small world.

Here's a pic of mine and the gray one nose to nose. You'll have to pardon mine, it needs a wash..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	16668
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

As of right now you can get better cars for the money or maybe just a bit more. Biggest thing is checking the carfax to see if an audi dealer got to the tranny yet or not. Why wouldn't they let you drive it?

In comparison I'd let my car go for 17,900 and everything's already done and fresh.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Man you still haven't washed her? Btw- I ran into someone from battleground, said he ran up against a black rs6, but it was an auto. Is there another one in battleground?
    I was under the impression it was just you and me in the NE vantucky battleground area.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Price is about right...just be prepared to drop $5-10k if things go south, lots of miles and many other items could pop up. Spend more and get a cleaner one with newer trans.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

We weren't able to test drive it because we got there pretty late.

Hmm, I haven't seen another black one around, I suppose there could be one but not that I've come across. And I still have every intention of doing a thorough detail on mine but I've been busy with remodel work on the house I just bought. Excuses, I know, but I will get to it!

As for the trans issue, since I didn't drive it I can't say if it's good or bad, but we know that can change in a hurry. However, I have another 5HP24A sitting here that can be rebuilt at leisure and held in reserve for if (when) the tranny goes bad.

Back to s8prtotype, your car is for sale for $17,900?
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

even tho it would suck after all the money/time i dumped into it, i'd let it go for that, i kinda need a truck for my business and i wouldn't want anything slow if i got rid of the rs lol.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    even tho it would suck after all the money/time i dumped into it, i'd let it go for that, i kinda need a truck for my business and i wouldn't want anything slow if i got rid of the rs lol.
    Didn't you just join us last year? Bummer, your car seems to be well updated...the trans should go at any moment!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

My car has had the the converter done by Audi already, it's also on fresh redline D4 and shifting perfectly

Both owners of my car are on this forum.

Yes, that was my daughter at Dutch Brother's, definitely a small world!

Just FYI, I ran the CARFAX for that car and it looked OK, but not a lot of recent detail, I don't recall anything about the trans. I don't have it in front of me, but I remember the car sold from a local dealership a year or two ago. Let me know if you want more info, my unlimited CARFAX is still active for few more weeks.

Gregg

I figured it was too much of a coincidence not to be! We actually got the car fax from the dealer, looks like the front DRC components were replaced, which is a plus, but yes nothing about the trans. Again, I have a spare so it's not the end of the world. It does seem to have been passed around a bit, but still in good shape for the miles.

I'm not sure what my buddy will end up doing, but I'll pass on the info I'm getting here. Thanks all for the feedback.

I just wanna say, this small RS6 community is awesome. Everyone always seems to be willing to help everyone else. Maybe it's the comradery we have in owning such a small production car.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd