Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LiFePo4 Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Do you know stock gauge?
    Just by eyeball, I'd say Zero gauge, possibly double-zero. But those wacky germans may not have used AWG gauging...
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Dmb408,

I do not know but I would guess to say it's somewhere in between 1/0 to 2 AWG.

Doubtful they used AWG standard, that would make sense and be too easy.

Seems to me the Germans "underwire" these cars electrical systems from the factory, esp the charging system. I have repaired a few Mark 4 Jettas and B6 A4's charging leads due to huge voltage drops, like 1 to 1.5V in some cases. I have yet to check the voltage drop on the RS6, kinda don't want to...

This is what I'd like to use as my template... http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170...3-bs12-281386/
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

There is a company that I have been talking with that are making lightweight batteries http://www.getohm.com We aren't sure if they will work with the RS6 and probably are about a year out in shipping. If someone is interested they can test the car.

Sounds like similar tech with the super capacitors to do the cranking.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Just weighted my car on the way home this morning (Truck scale so not sure of the accuracey +/- ?). Without me in the car, 4120# with fuel gauge right on the 1/2 mark. Others??? Optima battery (925T), Forged BBS wheels, no spare, KWV3's (Less than DRC), Aux radiators removed, Front foglamps gone but Wagner Intercoolers probably just about make up for the weight savings. Thinking that after the manual trans goes in and I look real hard to shave a little I get her under 4K.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Rian, they don't appear to have much of any Reserve capacity though. I would be more afraid of parasitic drain in those than my Odyssey or a Li-Ion battery.
    Roy, WA

It's funny I think one of my high school friends' buddies is actually involved in this Ohm thing, maybe I need to ask to be a guinea pig.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

If I recall, my anti gravity was somewhere around 80-90% of both amps and capacity of the stock lead acid monster. There are 2 issues with these:

1) Lithium amps go way down in the cold. My snowmobile needs a pull to help it's first start on cold days. Supposedly, you can warm the battery by leaving the lights on or using the starter a few times to help warm it from the inside. I had the Audi down to about 22 degrees last year, and could not tell.

2) Do not leave a standard charger on a lithium battery. I've used one at home, but disconnect it once the charging is done. Trickle charges kill a lithium battery. A good lithium charger will completely stop once it's charged (so I'm told).

Just food for thought

...3850 on a third tank last weigh-in. I think I've added around 45 pounds back for the roll bar and harnesses though.

3850# on your RS6? Is it stripped for track use?
    Roy, WA

A few creature comforts are left, but she has become a fun toy...more so than I originally planned

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Rian, they don't appear to have much of any Reserve capacity though. I would be more afraid of parasitic drain in those than my Odyssey or a Li-Ion battery.
    In theory they will "unplug" themselves via the circuitry if it detects that it is getting too low to start the car. They definitely don't have much reserve though, you cannot use your lights, radio, etc. without the car started.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I use EarthX lithiums in my Ducatis. They have a built in regulator so you can use any standard tender on them, not that they really, really need it - lithiums are better at holding charge over long periods of time than other types of batteries.

Maybe it's because the battery is more exposed to the elements during winter in a motorcycle, but when even a lead-acid will barely work, forget about a lithium putting out any juice. It is true that running the battery will heat it up enough to wake it up - like running as many accessories as you can, before trying to start the car. A car's accessories may be enough to run the battery enough to heat it up to the point where it can put out enough juice to start a car - on my bikes, not a chance.

I use dual PC925s; on a car this heavy, the weight savings of lithium just isn't worth it to me. Using two PC925s means I only need to top off the batteries every month or two with a charger, just to be sure. I rarely/never drive my car during any kind of weather where riding a motorcycle is possible.

If I had a Lotus though, I'd be looking into lithiums. Saving weight in a car like that is the whole point.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo