Thread: RS6 that's been sitting for over a year will turbos leak oil into the outlet pipe?

RS6 that's been sitting for over a year will turbos leak oil into the outlet pipe?

I'm selling my RS6 and it's been sitting in the garage for over a year (maybe close to 2yrs). I start it form time to time just to warm it up and get things moving. It was brought to a shop for inspection and they said that the turbos are toast. They said that the turbos are leaking from their seals because when they pry off the turbo outlet boots that leads to the intercoolers, oil poured out (maybe about 4 oz).

I was told by another mechanic that owned a few RS6 that this is normal for these cars if it sits for a while. Even if it has a small leak from the turbo seals you would probably never know since it would blow through the system, but if it sits, then it'll just collect at the low point.

The car runs well. The shop that inspected it did say it ran strong and well too. Car pulls strong. No hiccups. No rough idle. Before I took it off the road, I drove it for about 4 years and never had a low oil issue. Never had to add oil in between oil changes. Car has 51K on it. It sat in the same garage spot for over a year with no oil drips on the floor either. Yes, I have a splash guard on, but oil will probably drip through the splash guard.

So I'm not sold on the fact that the turbos are toast. The car just drives way too solid! What do you guys think? How would I check if they turbos are indeed good or bad? Use Vagcom to read boost while driving?

Hogwash. Your turbos aren't 'toast'.... I can show you a photo of a bad turbo as I lost the passenger one on the one car here. Having oil come out of the lower intercooler hose is NORMAL on a FI car as the oil vapour will condense once it cools and it collects at the lowest point on the pressurized area - which is - yep, the lower intercooler hose. Now, that said, how much collects there and over what duration of engine use can be important in determining if you are experiencing increased blow-by from a turbo that is starting to show signs of wear. Any authorized Audi tech will be able to confirm what volume is common on all the cars they service. I remove the lower hose on my cars every time I change the oil to clean out and there is a nominal table spoon or so in each. A turbo that is "toast" will deposit a couple of cups of oil vs. a couple of ounces. Butt dyno speaks well as does visible observations in the rear view mirror at night (dusting of headlights). Clear view along with strong performance speaks well to overall condition without getting in to costly diassembly and micrometers to check end play.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; August 5th, 2015 at 05:52. Reason: typo
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I agree. Your Intercooler hoses probably should have been cleaned a long time ago. I can't remember the cleaning interval but Audi specifies every other oil change I believe which entails removing the lower Intercooler hose and draining the oil. I also use non-chlorinated Brake cleaner and spay up into the Intercooler and onto the inside of the hoses to wipe them down. Helps to degrease/de-oil the hoses so they don't slip off under boost.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I have always used lacquer thinner to clean off the hoses at each service interval.

Normal to get some oil and if you never clean out the hoses...there will be more.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I agree. Your Intercooler hoses probably should have been cleaned a long time ago. I can't remember the cleaning interval but Audi specifies every other oil change I believe which entails removing the lower Intercooler hose and draining the oil. I also use non-chlorinated Brake cleaner and spay up into the Intercooler and onto the inside of the hoses to wipe them down. Helps to degrease/de-oil the hoses so they don't slip off under boost.

Would you happen to know where I can find where Audi states to clean the lower intercooler hose as part of the service? Owners manual? I don't have the owners mania anymore. The car has transfer hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Hogwash. Your turbos aren't 'toast'.... I can show you a photo of a bad turbo as I lost the passenger one on the one car here. Having oil come out of the lower intercooler hose is NORMAL on a FI car as the oil vapour will condense once it cools and it collects at the lowest point on the pressurized area - which is - yep, the lower intercooler hose.
    i did start the car once a month and let it idle for about 10 mins for as long as it's been off the road. I didn't drive the car at all. Just let it idle. On the rare occasion that I did drive it, was only to buy a 1/4 tank gas 2 blocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Hogwash.
    I concur, it is complete HOGWASH!

I had about the same amount on my intercooler hoses.. nothing to worry about here...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Sorry, but I've got the .pdf somewhere but maybe this will do for now:
    Audi MY 2003 RS6 Maintenance Schedule
    Vehicle
    RS6
    At 5,000 Mi (8,000 Km)

Engine Oil / Oil Filter - Change the oil and replace oil filter. (Caution: RS 6 uses only oil fulfilling the VW 50501 specifications and with the viscosity 5W40)

Windshield Wiper and Washer - Check fluid level. Add fluid if necessary.

Tires and Spare Wheel - Check for wear and damage. Rotate tires. Check the pressure.

Service Reminder Indicator Display - Reset the display.

Brake System - Check for damage and leaks. Check thickness of pads and brake fluid level. (Visual inspection)

At 15,000 Mi (25,000 Km)

Engine Oil / Oil Filter - Change the oil and replace oil filter. (Caution: RS 6 uses only oil fulfilling the VW 50501 specifications and with the viscosity 5W40)

Engine - Check for leaks. (Visual inspection)

Cooling System - Check the coolant level. Add coolant if necessary.

Exhaust System - Check for damage and leaks. (Visual inspection)

Engine, On-Board Diagnostic - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory. Purge if necessary, (where applicable).

Doors - Lubricate door hinge mechanism.

Battery - Check electrolyte level. Add if necessary. Magic eye.

Windshield Wiper and Washer / Headlight Washer - Check adjustment and function and add fluid if necessary.

Tires and Spare Wheel - Check for wear and damage. Check the pressure.

Check renewal date of tire repair set (where applicable).

Brake System - Check for damage and leaks. Check thickness of pads and brake fluid level. (Visual inspection)

Drive Shafts - Check boots. (Visual inspection)

Lights - Check lights.

Front Axle - Check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends. Check tie rods.

Automatic Transmission and Final Drive - Check for leaks. (Visual inspection)

Dust and Pollen Filter - Replace filter.

Sliding roof - Clean guide rails and lubricate.

Intercooler Hoses - Clean internally

Air Cleaner - Clean housing and replace filter element

Engine, On-Board Diagnostic - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory. Purge if necessary, (where applicable).

Windshield Wiper and Washer / Headlight Washer - Check adjustment and function and add fluid if necessary.

Drive Shafts - Check boots. (Visual inspection)

Lights - Check lights.

Sliding roof - Clean guide rails and lubricate.

Fuel Filter - Replace

Spark Plugs - Replace

Timing Belt - Check for wear (visual inspection)

Ribbed Belt - Check for wear (visual inspection)

Road Test - Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating & ventilation

systems, air conditioning, (ASL) Automatic Shift Lock and power accessories.

At 25,000 Mi (40,000 Km)

Perform the 5,000 Mi (8,000 Km) Maintenance Service. Except: Rotate tires.

At 35,000 Mi (55,000 Km)

Engine - Check for leaks.

Battery - Check electrolyte level. Add if necessary

Brake system - Check for damage and leaks. Check thickness of pads and brake fluid level. (Visual inspection)

Drive Shafts - Check the boots. (Visual inspection)

Lights - Check the lights.

Ribbed Belt - Check for wear (Visual inspection)

Timing Belt Drive - Replace belt, tensioner assembly and idler pulley

Fuel Filter - Replace

Automatic Transmission and Final Drive - Check for leaks (Visual inspection)

Power Steering Fluid - Check fluid level. Add if necessary.

Intercooler - Clean externally

Radiator - Clean externally

Condenser - Clean externally

Spark Plugs - Replace

Sliding Roof - Clean guide rails and lubricate with grease spray.

Road Test - Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, (ASL) Automatic Shift Lock and power accessories.

At 45,000 Mi (70,000 Km)

Perform the 5,000 Mi (8,000 Km) Maintenance Service

At 55,000 Mi (85,000 Km)

Engine Oil / Oil Filter- Change oil and replace the oil filter (Caution: RS 6 uses only oil fulfilling the VW 50501 specifications and with the viscosity 5W40)

Engine, On-Board Diagnostic - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory.

Purge if necessary, (where applicable).

Battery - Check electrolyte level. Add if necessary

Windshield Wiper and Washer / Headlight washer - Check adjustment and function. Add fluid if necessary.

Check renewal date of the tire repair set (where applicable). Exchange tire seal solution. (If expired)

Brake system - Check for damage and leaks. Check thickness of pads and brake fluid level. (Visual inspection)

Drive Shafts - Check the boots. (Visual inspection)

Lights - Check all lights. Check Headlight adjustment.

Air Cleaner - Clean housing and replace filter element.

Spark Plugs - Replace

Fuel Filter - Replace

At 55,000 Mi (85,000 Km) - continued

Sliding Roof - Clean guide rails and lubricate.

Road Test - Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, (ASL) Automatic Shift Lock and power accessories.

At 65,000 Mi (100,000 Km)

Perform the 5,000 Mi (8,000 Km) Maintenance Service. Except: Rotate tires

At 75,000 Mi (115,000 Km)

Engine Oil / Oil Filter - Change oil and replace the oil filter. (Caution: RS 6 uses only oil fulfilling the VW 50501 specifications and with the viscosity 5W40)

Engine, On-Board Diagnostic - Check Diagnostic Trouble Code Memory.

Purge if necessary, (where applicable).

Windshield Wiper and Washer / Headlight washer - Check adjustment and function. Add fluid if necessary.

Check renewal date of tire repair set. (where applicable).

Drive Shafts - Check the boots

Drive Shafts - Check the boots.

Lights - Check all lights. (Visual inspection)

Front Axle - Check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends. Check tie rods

Power Steering Fluid - Check fluid level: add if necessary.

Ribbed Belt - Replace belt

Timing Belt Drive - Replace belt, tensioner assembly and idler pulley

Spark Plugs - Replace

Fuel Filter - Replace

Condenser - Clean externally

Radiator - Clean externally

Intercooler - Clean externally

At 85,000 (130,000 Km)

Perform the 5,000 Mi (8,000 Km) Maintenance Service. Except: Rotate tires

At 95,000 Mi (145,000 Km)

Engine Oil / Oil Filter - Change the oil and replace the oil filter. (Caution: RS 6 uses only oil fulfilling the VW 50501 specifications and with the viscosity 5W40)

Check renewal date of tire repair set. (where applicable).

Drive Shafts - Check the boots.

Fuel Filter - Replace

Sliding Roof - Clean guide rails and lubricate.

Front Axle - Check dust seals on ball joints and tie rod ends. Check tie rods

Lights - Check all lights. Check Headlight adjustment

Spark Plugs - Replace

Road Test - Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, (ASL) Automatic Shift Lock and power accessories

Every 2 years regardless of miles/kilometers

Brake Fluid - Replace brake fluid.

Every 14 years regardless of miles/kilometers

Airbag - Replace (All Audi models except A8 L)

Copyright © 2010 Audi of America, Inc. and Bentley Publishers. All rights reserved.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Sorry, but I've got the .pdf somewhere but maybe this will do for now:

THANKS!

I asked for the intercoolers hoses to be cleaned and run the car and checked again. After all of the forums input I really think that starting the car and letting it idle without running it for years is the real for the large amount of collected oil.

Sounds normal; my RS had the same thing when I pulled the I/C hoses for cleaning at 75k.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold