Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro and some Massachusetts emissions help

Intro and some Massachusetts emissions help

Hello everyone.... name is Dan, from Boston/Cambridge area. Been lurking here for a bit as I looked for the perfect "next car".

I purchased an RS6 from a fellow forum member. Daytona/Black.

Picked it up last week, just off a fresh TB service. I got it registered and last Friday and went to get it inspected today (Friday). Car passed inspection but emissions was not "ready" to be read. They asked if I had any work done on the car recently... I said the TB service was done. They said I have 60 days to being it back and that it should be fine.... just drive it a couple hundred miles and being it back in, no charge. I don't drive that much (no daily), so I might have put 300 total miles on since I picked it up, given I bought it in Albany... 220+ of those miles were that trip back.

So, technically it didn't fail... but pardon my ignorance, this is the first car I have had post 1995 (OBD-II compliant) in a long time.

Does this sound reasonable? The car just passed NY full inspection in June of this year and nothing on the car is anything that I would expect to give emissions a problem.

Modifications are:

10sec tune (mark)
    milltek resonated exhaust
    gutted DPs

All the O2s are still there, in working order... no codes/etc. And to be clear, again, it didn't *fail*, it couldn't be read. I have to admit, sweating a little bit here, but no modifications on the car raise any flags with me... and based on the research I have done here, I don't see any reason for emissions to fail once it can be checked.... but wondered if this made sense to others.

Thanks in advance for any input.

For those that want to know what else has been done to car:

104k miles
    Trans replaced at 75k CPO'd
    DRC replaced with Koni
    H-sways front and rear
    19" OEM RS4 wheels
    complete stack of receipts came with the car

love the car... had an 2002 S6 and while I liked it, I didn't love the 5AT. With all this power, I can't say I mind it. (maybe I am just getting old)

Are the rear O2 sensors coded out?

I just asked the PO and he said that Mark's tune would have coded them out. (I should PM Mark to find out more information)

I should add that car just passed NYS inspection/emissions on June of this year... no changes (other than TB service) since then

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Are the rear O2 sensors coded out?
    nice username BTW

Much harder in MA. That is probably the issue. Not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Much harder in MA. That is probably the issue. Not allowed.
    hmm.. so if they were coded back in... would they need spacers to be compliant/ not throw codes?

If you don't already have an OBD2 scanner, get one. Then you can go to the I/M Readiness section and check if the monitors are complete or not ready. Once they are complete take the car in for the test. BTW I think you are allowed one monitor to be incomplete for 2003 models.

Dan, we met before. John. I had Ray's old car. You are allowed one readiness monitor to be not ready. But I don't think it can be one related to the cat. You can force readiness monitors to reset quickly with VCDS. But i'm pretty sure they will detect coded out rear O2 sensors.

The new system in MA is crazy and i'm pretty sure they can detect code-forced readiness monitors by checking, then resetting the readiness and seeing what gets forced back on right away. Do a search for the MAC or Motorist Assistance Center. Scary. Forget any of the old tricks to get through inspections. They gave me the Marcellus Wallace on my 6-speed swap. Basically said put an auto tranny back in or you will never get the car inspected until it is 15 model years old. No way around it. Be very careful if they tell you you need to go to the MAC. Contact me first.

Hey John... that really sucks about the 6sp... Mike L (Swordfish) was telling me about it..(I bought his car). I have a laptop with VCDS tied to it (my buddy has it)... going to grab that and see what Readiness Check isn't good to go. I sent Marc (10sec) an email about any issues, and possible coding the rear O2s back... what effect would that have on the overall tune? Would I need spacers to make them not throw a code? The car passed full NYS emissions a month ago... I knew MA was more strict... but I didn't realize how much. PITA.

On a positive, only 2.5 years until it is 15 years old.... are they still moving the goalposts and keeping the 15 year old rule, or are they screwing with that as well and leaving it where it is now.

Just read through the bottom of the paperwork I was given by inspection station:

Catalyst Monitor: Ready
    Catalyst Heater Monitor: Not Supported
    Evaporative System Monitor: Not Ready
    Secondary Air System Monitor: Not Ready
    A/C System Monitor: Not Supported
    O2 Sensor Monitor: Not Supported
    O2 Sensor Heater Monitor: Not Supported
    EGR Monitor: Not Supported

Should all of those listed as Not Supported be that way?
    Last edited by urs6ville; August 1st, 2015 at 06:07.

Not supported is supposed to be stuff your car doesn't have. I think you have some stuff listed as not supported that should say ready or not ready. That's going to be a problem I think. The googles should be able to tell you what's what. I can scan my car on Monday and let you know what I have. All of mine work properly now.

Looks like you should have the Evap monitor and Secondary air system monitor ready, but for whatever reason they aren't. I feel like there should be four monitors total, but I'm not sure.

Wish I could be more helpful but I've never modified the emissions equipment on anything that wasn't old enough to be exempt. Only 3 more years!
    Last edited by Turbowned; August 1st, 2015 at 16:39.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Looks like you should have the Evap monitor and Secondary air system monitor ready, but for whatever reason they aren't. I feel like there should be four monitors total, but I'm not sure.

Wish I could be more helpful but I've never modified the emissions equipment on anything that wasn't old enough to be exempt. Only 3 more years!
    Thanks, yea, those should be ready, and from what I have read, the fact that I had the TB service done and certain items were unplugged, those two items could still be pending getting back to ready state. (I haven't driven the car much as I wanted to get it registered/inspected).

So, once those are "ready", then the emissions test can happen... but as UrS6 has pointed out, most likely they will fail then because the O2 stuff should be READY and currently they are NOT SUPPORTED because the tune has them coded out. So, probably have to see if Marc can code them back in... perhaps get spacers so they don't throw codes... or I have access to the original DPs... put them back on and just leave it that way for 2.5 more years. I might take it back once the other two items are "READY"... grabbing a VCDS that I had lent out to a friend so I can check all that to see when I have done enough driving to get it them READY. The car just passed NYS in June, so I don't think there is an issue with those two checks getting READY.

Your SAI is coded out also it seems. You've got a fairly modified car there, could be tough, it's built for no inspection. Add SAI back in along with stock exhaust, then adjust tune to match. Expensive and time consuming though. Most who have inspection leave these emissions parts alone for this reason.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

My experience was that SAI took the longest to reset by driving. I did mine with VCDS because it still hadn't reset after a week.

Guessing his SAI system is removed...common, especially if you're bothering with gutting cats and getting a custom tune.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Guessing his SAI system is removed...common, especially if you're bothering with gutting cats and getting a custom tune.
    no, the SAI is not coded out.... and I still have it. The previous owner didn't want any chance of no pass in NYS. I believe the SAI just needs to reset... gonna do some cycle driving this weekend and next week.... have VCDS as well so I can check on it.

I am not as worried about this as I was yesterday.... seems like I need to drive more.... get those controllers to reset to READY... then give it a go.

If they are READY and they fail me for o2 NOT SUPPORTED, then I'll see if Marc can code the O2s back in and I will deal with putting the OEM downpipes back on or using spacers so I don't get codes.

Not ideal... but learning a lot about OBD in the last 24 hours (hah). counting the days until 15 years....

Glad to see such a lively community willing to assist. Thanks!! Coming from the UrS community which is very active it is nice to see.

Sorry I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but be glad you're not trying to get it passed through VA's emissions tests - same deal as what you're going through, but no 'Not Ready' allowed.
    Tuned out O2's? Fail. Replace, come back, and pay again.
    SAI not ready state? Fail. Fix, come back, and pay again.
    Anything reading "Not Supported" when car database says it should be? Fail.
    Lather, rinse, repeat. And no exception for >15 years until...

25 years since production date? No emissions inspection necessary, just have to register as an 'Antique' (and pay higher registration and insurance)

All enough to make me want to buy an old beater that burns oil and stalls out every other stop light, but that market is cornered by the El Salvadorians here in the Herndon (Hernandez) area. At least they're keeping AutoZone and Advanced Auto alive with their purchases of 1-1/4" pipe to 7" exhaust tip mufflers and chrome flaming skull stick-on decals, gives me a good source for any part that doesn't need a VAG P/N engraved.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)