Thread: RS7 - RS6 sprint

RS7 - RS6 sprint

The old boy had a surprise visitor earlier today with a near new RS7 pulling up beside it at the light. Driver and I smiled and we went on green.... The weather was perfect and things were running fantastic. In the back of my mind I had this nervous feeling about not wanting to be wallopped and thankfully the old beast held it's own. After a solid sprint to 130'ish I ended up beingonly 1 car length behind. Respectible in my eyes considering the older technology of the 5Tip vs. that of the new 8sp sequential tranny. I was hoping to chat with the owner, but he and I were heading in different directions.

Still can't get past the looks of the fastback, but it certainly bodes well from a performance perspective. Not $80K better, but that is just my opinion. I'm totally happy with my 13yr old ride that aside from the DRC and 5Tip woes has been a great addition to my stable.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Glad to hear! The RS7 is a bit miserable looking on the outside, sad really...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Nice sprint! Sure he was a little surprised.
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus blacked out headlights, emblems and tinted tails, 10 sec tune, K&N, gutted precats, deleted SAi, aux rad and sec cats, MTM TCU, Venair hoses, Miro 112 with 255/35/19, Odessy 925t. Soon to come meth injection and new brakes to slow it back down. :)

Quote Originally Posted by RKturbo View Post
    Nice sprint! Sure he was a little surprised.
    For certain. I well believe we would have run neck and neck the entire way if the transmission was a stronger performer. You never know these days if you're running against something sporting OEM specs or one that's had some massaging. I was envisioning a half dozen car lengths plus if he had a tune installed, but I would guess he was running OEM spec which has similar power values to what I'm pushing with the modified tune and other incidentals.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I could only buy a RS7, if I could figure out how to get in it, without seeing it...oh the horror...

I have friend with one. Orange. Trans is like butter and interior super nice. I don't mind the looks, but I cant get past the cheesy plastic engine cover with the fake plenum molded into it... its like "really!!?? why bother". Actually he just sold it for a S63 coupe... about one of the only cars I'd say wasn't a mistake to trade for. Actually guy I bought my RS6 from was orig. owner and he got RS5.... its nice but he really misses RS6 and thinks if RS5 is faster its just barely.... and he is a chief instructor with Audi Club and PCA... he has basis to know.

I actually love the look of the A7, but the S7/RS7 don't look great to me. The A7 looks elegant, like it ought to be parked next to a yacht. The RS7 just looks weird.

I was just thinking on the drive to work this morning how I'd rather tune the RS6 to keep up with an RS7 than upgrade to one...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Yea i saw a gray one this weekend, first outside of dealer, and i have to say that it looked awesome.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The old boy had a surprise visitor earlier today with a near new RS7 pulling up beside it at the light. Driver and I smiled and we went on green.... The weather was perfect and things were running fantastic. In the back of my mind I had this nervous feeling about not wanting to be wallopped and thankfully the old beast held it's own. After a solid sprint to 130'ish I ended up beingonly 1 car length behind. Respectible in my eyes considering the older technology of the 5Tip vs. that of the new 8sp sequential tranny. I was hoping to chat with the owner, but he and I were heading in different directions.

Still can't get past the looks of the fastback, but it certainly bodes well from a performance perspective. Not $80K better, but that is just my opinion. I'm totally happy with my 13yr old ride that aside from the DRC and 5Tip woes has been a great addition to my stable.
    Now the $$$$ question is this: would you have faired differently with a 6 speed?

Also, did you brake boost? And which RS6 did you drive?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Now the $$$$ question is this: would you have faired differently with a 6 speed?

Also, did you brake boost? And which RS6 did you drive?
    I did brake boost yes. I was driving the one I purchased 1.5 years ago (black one) that as of this summer has received all the same goodies that my gray one has over the previous 6 years. I believe I would have been able to keep it neck and neck with a 6MT yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I did brake boost yes. I was driving the one I purchased 1.5 years ago (black one) that as of this summer has received all the same goodies that my gray one has over the previous 6 years. I believe I would have been able to keep it neck and neck with a 6MT yes.
    I am wondering if he braked boost, 3.2 to 60 going to be more than a car length.
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    I am wondering if he braked boost, 3.2 to 60 going to be more than a car length.
    ...but I'm running 3.5 to the same point. Rest assured he wasn't "light" on the pedal and gave it his all. As I mentioned, I have no reason to believe he was anything other than stock while I'm not stock. I wish I had the dash cam in the car, but it was still mounted in my NSX so unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it.

Bigglezworth, are you running more than a Tune? or other mods?

Mike

(I like the RS7, just not the price tag)

CBeau,

RS5 close to RS6 for specs? I am considering getting an RS5 Cab.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,