Thread: New ride....

New ride....

So, after 4+ years in my tuned/lowered B8 S4, I decided it was time to move on. Sold it to a local(-ish) German car enthusiast and replaced it with this:

CPO 2013 S6, Glacier White over Black, all options except B&O. What an amazing car!

SO fast, SO comfortable, SUCH COOL tech (even if only 3G hotspot capability).

Really enjoying it, even if it did start steering itself the other day (stoopid lane-keeping-assist button, be less hidden!)

I'm grinning like an idiot anytime I'm driving it.

Very nice! I think a newish S6 is next on my list...mind me asking miles and amount paid? Condition looks great, share some more driving impressions down the road.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Very nice! I think a newish S6 is next on my list...mind me asking miles and amount paid? Condition looks great, share some more driving impressions down the road.
    Thanks. 30K miles. Basically pristine condition. New tires (Pilot Sport A/S), dealer replaced the front pads and rotors as part of the CPO process. CPO warranty through 01/2019 or 100K miles. Mid $50s.

Those are some good numbers, glad to hear it, great warranty too.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Those are some good numbers, glad to hear it, great warranty too.
    Thanks again. There are quite a few of them available in the 60s, but it took some looking (and negotiating) to get this one at that price.

Nice seats. Look comfortable.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Very Nice, what's the Launch Control Counter up to?
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Very Nice, what's the Launch Control Counter up to?
    Thanks.

Haven't had time to check yet, though the total may have gone up by a few clicks since I bought the car.... ;-)

I will say this, though: I thought the LC on my S4 was pretty brutal, but it pales in comparison with the S6's. S4 allowed ~3200 rpm at launch, while the S6 settles at 5400 (!!!). Combined with the big-time torque, releasing the brake basically punts you into the next county in, I dunno, NO seconds...

Glorious! I recently chatted with a guy who traded his B8 S4 for an S6 Prestige. It sounds like one hell of a car; I'd love to get one someday!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

...share some more driving impressions down the road.
    OK, so I think it comes down to this: It's fairly evident that Audi intends this car as the "tweener", not the all-out performance car that the RS6/7 is. The default "automatic" settings lean towards the softer side of the spectrum, while the "dynamic" settings firm things up and wake things up to make the performance that's on offer obvious. That said, even in dynamic, it's not as locked down as the RSs I've driven.

It's about the perfect blend of attributes for me, but it's not an RS competitor except in a straight line, compared to older RSs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    it's not an RS competitor except in a straight line, compared to older RSs.
    That's an interesting comment considering straight line acceleration is exactly what the RS6 is well knownn for.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    That's an interesting comment considering straight line acceleration is exactly what the RS6 is well known for.
    I understand - it's just that the performance bar has been raised substantially since the C5 RS6 was new:

0-60: C7 S6: 3.7, C5 RS6: 4.4
    1/4 mile: C7 S6: 12.1 @ 115, C5 RS6: 12.7 @ 108

Great specs for sure. I'm of the appreciation these are attained entirely due to improvements in the tranny (more gears that improve acceleration and launch) coupled with some general weigh savings. Engine power output for both HP and TQ on the new FI powerplant are less than most members cars here (tuned of course). Wish we could benefit from swapping in the improved tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I'm of the appreciation these are attained entirely due to improvements in the tranny (more gears that improve acceleration and launch) coupled with some general weigh savings. Engine power output for both HP and TQ on the new FI powerplant are less than most members cars here (tuned of course)...
    Since we don't have same day/same dyno test results from both engines (4.2 TT and 4.0TT), a 1/4 mile HP calculator like this one is about as close as we're likely to get to true numbers:
    http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-...power+Estimate

Even allowing for the quicker launch and shifting of the C7 by adjusting the ET up by .5 seconds still calculates 489 chp for the 4.0TT.

Stock 4.2TT calculates out to 434 chp.

The respective trap speeds point to the difference in the power being produced.

(shrug)