Thread: Spark plug flew out and cracked coilpack

Spark plug flew out and cracked coilpack

Long story short,

cylinder 7 spark plug somehow flew out and cracked a coilpack.

Ordered new parts, but now, the spark plug would not tighten anymore, not even a mm. After a couple of attempts, I realized there is no thread on the inside.

This is another cylinder, for comparison

Searched for similar problems online, and I guess it happens, i am not the first one
    There are even kits that help your repair everything, without taking apart heads.

Had anything like this happened to anyone? Trying to see what i should do now

I know that on my UrS6 I check the plugs every oil change or so..... if you don't get them in to the right torque they are known to back out and eventually cause failure like you have seen here. I speak with no experience with RS6.. I am only here as I am finalizing details to pick up an RS6... so am I getting my learn on.. heh.

It does look like the plug broke in reviewing your post more cafefully...so, I should add, there have been certain Bosch plugs that have been failing lately.. meaning they come apart like you have seen. The URs guys were running F5DP0R and have moved to FR5DTC because of bad manufacturing QC on the original plugs. Again, just informational since these aren't the same plugs you are running, but just noting we have seen QC issues with bosch as of late.

What plugs are they?

You are going to have to get the rest of the plug out in order to put one in.

That is an OEM NGK in the pic. I would agree that it wasn't tightened to the right Tq, I think 22 ft/lbs. Check the others. Find a good shop that can do Timecerts inserts since your threads are gone, not a Helicoil. They might be able to do it in-place with the piston at TDC or close to it and vacuum the bits. I'm very sorry, that has the potential to be a head pull.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by urs6ville View Post
    It does look like the plug broke in reviewing your post more cafefully...so, I should add, there have been certain Bosch plugs that have been failing lately.. meaning they come apart like you have seen. The URs guys were running F5DP0R and have moved to FR5DTC because of bad manufacturing QC on the original plugs. Again, just informational since these aren't the same plugs you are running, but just noting we have seen QC issues with bosch as of late.

What plugs are they?

You are going to have to get the rest of the plug out in order to put one in.
    I don't think there is anything left. The plug looks fine, just smashed from both sides, even thread is semi normal.

hahnmgh63That is an OEM NGK in the pic. I would agree that it wasn't tightened to the right Tq, I think 22 ft/lbs. Check the others. Find a good shop that can do Timecerts inserts since your threads are gone, not a Helicoil. They might be able to do it in-place with the piston at TDC or close to it and vacuum the bits. I'm very sorry, that has the potential to be a head pull.
    They were replaced about 35K miles ago, i was going to get new ones but didn't make it... We will try to take valve cover gasket off tomorrow, to get a closer look, to see if it could be fixed without pulling the engine, with timecerts.

P.S. I've been running on 93 octane since i got this car. Couple of days prior to that, i had to get a full tank of 91 (in WI), would this have to do anything with my situation? Just curious

Hopefully that didn't rip and mess up the threads as it backed itself out. Ford 5.4's are known for that and it destroys the threads and it's not always fun to fix that.
    2003 Audi RS6, 1991 Audi 200 20VT
    1982 Honda CB900F, 1985 Honda VF1000R, 2004 Honda RC51

Car is fixed, thanks to my friend, who is also a member here.
    Ended up getting special kit from Napa ( $35), fortunately everything went smooth. Made new thread for the spark plug.

Also, about 2-3 weeks prior to all of this happening, I started noticing louder ticking noise, coming from the engine, thought it had to do with an oil change, that I was a little overdue. Right after the fix, everything was gone and car feels much smoother. It's gotta be related.