Thread: fan on when engine stopped

fan on when engine stopped

I have noticed that my fan and water pump do not stay on after a trip... Is there a way to test this?

Better term is "After-run Auxiliary Coolant Pump" is not on ...

Quote Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
    I have noticed that my fan and water pump do not stay on after a trip... Is there a way to test this?
    I'll trade you problems - I get a random P2181 code and fans going full blast from key-on to 400 seconds after shutoff. Replaced water pump, thermostat, ambient air temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, checked all wiring related to engine temp, never see a temp spike or sensor signal drop, but the car decides I need full blast cooling at -10F anyway. Logging shows no problems anywhere I can find, and dtc reset is good for 50 miles...

I wouldn't worry about after-run not coming on unless your engine temp is up there when you shut it down.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Did you check the Fan control unit ??

The thing I do not like is the water temp gauge. I know it is biased to stay at 90C . I would rather see a more sensitive reading , now i do not know if its a 100C or 85C.. I fear head warpage when you stop, these turbos cook the engine compartment pretty good, which is why I liked the water circulating the coolant to cool down the turbos. I am thinking of wrapping the turbos and exhaust piping..,

Quote Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
    What temps are you driving in? Most anything above 80-90 degrees and the fans will run for a moment for me. I always give the car a minute or two of running cool down time and pop the hood when it's hot.

You could check coolant and oil temps with VAGCOM and see if the levels look dangerous. Some have talked about adding a turbo timer, you could just do that.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com