Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rotors front and rear - it's the easiest thing to do on an RS6 besides Driving it

Mech New Rotors front and rear - it's the easiest thing to do on an RS6 besides Driving it

Fronts done at 45k miles under warrantee
    Fronts again at 96K miles myself, $820 for the parts from Audi.
    Fronts and Rears at 138,000 miles. $1000 for all four, partsgeek.com

Brakes done at 73 k and 116 k miles. The dealer must have done them some time around 35k ,but I did not see a record of that, I'll have to check again.

That is not bad life on the brakes and rotors.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 rotors 1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	16411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 rotors 2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	16412  
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Wish I could get these. They won't ship to Hawaii and I've emailed them multiple times about a quote to Hawaii and they wont respond.
    2003 Audi RS6, 1991 Audi 200 20VT
    1982 Honda CB900F, 1985 Honda VF1000R, 2004 Honda RC51

ship to a friend and then have them ship them to Hawaii....
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Ship to a friend at frozenrotors.com and have them ship to Hawaii...

And they say the RS6 is expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Fronts done at 45k miles under warrantee
    Fronts again at 96K miles myself, $820 for the parts from Audi.
    Fronts and Rears at 138,000 miles. $1000 for all four, partsgeek.com

Brakes done at 73 k and 116 k miles. The dealer must have done them some time around 35k ,but I did not see a record of that, I'll have to check again.

That is not bad life on the brakes and rotors.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    And they say the RS6 is expensive to maintain.
    This car is expensive - for an Audi Stealership to maintain..... That can be said about a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Rover, etc. steapership too. Still not clear in where a blue collar job like mechanics became deemed worth of rates that match that of a lawyer or dentist? sSolo work and patience looking for reasonable prices on parts resellers nets you affordable maintenance for sure.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    This car is expensive - for an Audi Stealership to maintain..... That can be said about a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Rover, etc. steapership too. Still not clear in where a blue collar job like mechanics became deemed worth of rates that match that of a lawyer or dentist? sSolo work and patience looking for reasonable prices on parts resellers nets you affordable maintenance for sure.
    It's the shop and dealer overhead, manager salaries, car companies cut. Most of the mechanics seem to bring home $15-30 per hour depending on location and experience. I will avoid a stealership at all costs for these reasons.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Better to pay an independent mechanic $50/hr to do it; you pay less and he gets paid more.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Were all rotors directionally correct, Left, Right each side?

Any rotors have Audi engravings/emblems? (appears not)
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

They are right and left, the match the old ones completely accept for the Audi logo. The fins are directional.

And a good independent mechanic is worth the cost. The rates for auto work have been going up for years, the overhead for equipment is substantial. Just buy a few of the special tools and you will see. My indy has many tools, has everything he needs to rebuild 911 turbo engines, etc. So I am sure there was a substantial start up cost in equipment. I don't begrudge a guy making a decent living especially when they do great work.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    It's the shop and dealer overhead, manager salaries, car companies cut. Most of the mechanics seem to bring home $15-30 per hour depending on location and experience. I will avoid a stealership at all costs for these reasons.
    I work for a German company that charges $14,500/week plus travel expenses for my services. More than 80% of that DOES NOT go into my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    I work for a German company that charges $14,500/week plus travel expenses for my services. More than 80% of that DOES NOT go into my bank account.
    Sounds like you're getting hosed. Let me guess, Siemens?

Standard contract rate around here is a 65/35 cut for vendor/contractor dispersement. At that rate, you'd be making ~$5k/wk plus travel expenses...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I was getting great independent work done at two small Eugene shops, owners did all the work, $75 per hour seemed very reasonable due to their overhead and operating costs. I had to pay $100 per hour down in Austin which adds up after 20 hours, but they were a mid-sized shop, with owners taking a bit more off the top I would say. Always glad to see money going into the hands of those doing the hard and skilled work.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I don't "like" dealership shop rates, but understand their overhead structure. What ruffles my feathers is that I'm charged a predetermined number of hours for any given work regardless of the actual time it takes. And their project doesn't drool or move while they work.... Jim, a dentist

PS: I use an independent audi master mechanic the dealership let go to cut their overhead.
    Last edited by Amulet-S6; May 22nd, 2015 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I was getting great independent work done at two small Eugene shops, owners did all the work, $75 per hour seemed very reasonable due to their overhead and operating costs. I had to pay $100 per hour down in Austin which adds up after 20 hours, but they were a mid-sized shop, with owners taking a bit more off the top I would say. Always glad to see money going into the hands of those doing the hard and skilled work.
    Agreed, wish I could find a good indy here in the DC area. AoA set price for this region is $140/hr at the stealership, most indy's charge ~$110-120 to cover overhead thanks to real estate being so costly. Was nice to find one that "Only" charges $95/hr, but they do by-the-book hours, so it ended up way cheaper to get VC gaskets done at the other indy who bills $120/hr but follows the "don't remove the engine unless absolutely necessary" route to wrench on Skuld. Makes me wish I had a garage I could fit her into, much less work on her at the same time.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Charged the book time when I know it takes less is what pisses me off too. When I bitch about it though they are good about applying coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    I don't "like" dealership shop rates, but understand their overhead structure. What ruffles my feathers is that I'm charged a predetermined number of hours for any given work regardless of the actual time it takes. And their project doesn't drool or move while they work.... Jim, a dentist

PS: I use an independent audi master mechanic the dealership let go to cut their overhead.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Agreed, wish I could find a good indy here in the DC area.
    Have you tried my recommendation and weren't happy?

CW

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Have you tried my recommendation and weren't happy?

CW
    You mean NGP in Lorton? I could give them a shot if I'm ever in that neck of the woods, but getting from the western 'burbs to Lorton during business hours means taking a day off of work and trying to hit that slim margin between rush hour and lunch traffic (10-11am)

O_E