Thread: RS6 C6 engine stock (BCY)

RS6 C6 engine stock (BCY)

Hey,
    I'm new here on the forum since few days back.
    I have tried to search as much as I can before I put out this thread.

I go in thinking about buying me an Audi RS6 engine. But I tried to get the facts on the engine.

What I wonder about is the following:
    How much can I put out of the engines without replacing pistons and rods?
    How much boost?
    What is the max RPM?

I read somewhere that the pistons and rods are forged from the beginning. Is it true?

How's the heads?
    How much is flowing them?

What breaks first? I will not go with the standard transmission.

As much technical information as possible.
    Who delivers the best things to motors? In the form of gaskets and the like.

BCY is the engine code for the RS6 C5/4B engine.

Without replacing pistons and rods, software can get you to 550ish HP, after that it's more efficient turbo's and larger turbines to whatever power level you could dream of. Stock boost is ~14psi (2atm), and the turbos are capable of what, 18-19 psi? Again, more efficient turbo's will net you more power. Max RPM is in the 7500 range, but you're more likely to thrash the trans shifting that high, stock redline of 6800 is pretty safe but you don't want to slapshift that high either. Pistons and rods are forged from the factory (thank you Quattro GMBH, for that!). Heads flow well, but can usually do with a quick clean, maybe a polish if you're feeling adventurous. Flow numbers are not impressive, but the RS6 heads have an integrated water jacket with coolant flow to hold temps down under boost - it's not all about the CFM's, it also has to do with air temps as they enter the cylinder - dropping 20 celsius give you higher volumetric flow at lower CFM.

What breaks first - the transmission and/or torque converter. Period. If you won't go standard, don't expect longevity from a stock transmission/TC combo. There are a few things that can be done with a fresh transmission to hold a bit more power a little bit longer, maybe... Check out RS246.com for a writeup one of their members did on full rebuild of his transmission. He went with clutch packs/friction disks that were marginally thicker, new gaskets, so on.

Who delivers the best? Victor Reinz does good seals and plugs, OE Gaskets are great so long as you change them regularly and check for leaks often.

One of the known weak points of the BCY is the oil cooler mating tube - 9 hours or so of labor to R/R, and pull the silly plastic 2" long pipe, replace with a milled aluminum pipe from Bufkin Engineering.

I've yet to see any dyno sheets from before/after any of the mods associated with the BCY, but some of the more popular ones are:
    Wagner Intercoolers (~$2k + labor) for more efficient air/air cooling
    Pick a tune, any tune - $500-$3k, depending who you go with, have heard to avoid GIAC.
    Forgot the maker of the tube intake - ~$1500-2250 used
    Miltek Downpipes and exhaust - wide variance depending whether you're required to keep front catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, etc...

All of the big power builds that I've seen done here have been in conjunction with a swap to manual - it's just a matter of how much room you have in the engine bay. You can't stuff bigger turbochargers under the hood without changing the transmission over, there just isn't room.

I've looked into an R/R of my engine and associated bits to have a chance to change old sensors, replace my stage-1-leaking(seeping) rear main seal, and wrap my exhaust from the headers back to the rear cats, but even a professional shop you're talking 20+ hours of labor on their part if I bring it in with the front bumper cover pulled off. Everything is jammed so damn tight in the bay, it's a nightmare to work on, and pretty much anything deeper than valve cover gaskets requires an engine pull just to have room to work.

If you haven't already taken the plunge on it, I'd highly advise to stay away from the BCY engine as a modding platform. You'll have better results for less with the newer 3.2TFSI engines, and be able to cram them into damn near any C6/C7 body you could want.

I'm no expert, but I am learning!
    O_E
    Last edited by Other_Erik; May 11th, 2015 at 14:54. Reason: dammit bobby
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Hey Erik,

Thanks for the great information.
    Maybe I was a little unclear with some things.

That is how I got hold of such a motor for about 500 $.
    Along with that I'm thinking about going 2 pieces gt28 or GT30 turbos and a manuel gearbox from BMW 530D. Will also go with a standalone control systems. Probably LINK or AEM. Going to run it on E85.

Will it go in a drifting car.
    I wonder if it's a good idea or will it just go broke? And what will break.
    I wonder if anyone has done something similar with the engines.

Sorry for my English. I'm from Sweden so it is not my first language! : D

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hey Erik,

Thanks for the great information.
    Maybe I was a little unclear with some things.

That is how I got hold of such a motor for about 500 $.
    Along with that I'm thinking about going 2 pieces gt28 or GT30 turbos and a manuel gearbox from BMW 530D. Will also go with a standalone control systems. Probably LINK or AEM. Going to run it on E85.

Will it go in a drifting car.
    I wonder if it's a good idea or will it just go broke? And what will break.
    I wonder if anyone has done something similar with the engines.

Sorry for my English. I'm from Sweden so it is not my first language! : D
    You got a BCY Engine for $500? Very Jealous. Even a used shortblock here in the states costs ~$1300.

If you're dead-set on using the BCY, check out the 01E transmission, SteveKen here makes kits that mate straight up. 6MT, harden it with better clutch packs, and hoon that bad boy all you please.

E85 requires a lot more than just a tune. Fuel pump(s), lines, higher flow filter, injectors, etc...

Will it go in a drifting car? Technically yes, but I would not recommend. For all that it's not the heaviest engine ever made, it is not the lightest either. What kind of chassis are you thinking for the drift mobile? I've seen some sick builds here in the US, most memorable being an '86 Pontiac Fiero with an '06 Pontiac G8 GXP engine crammed into the rear-engine bay. That thing could kick the 305-wide rear tires loose in a straight line up to 70, and kick out at .25 lateral G's with proper application of the go pedal.

Personally, if I had into it what you did (Seriously, $500?!?), I'd look at exporting the engine to a buyer in either the UK or the US for a quick double-your-money profit, and look to a different powerplant. Not trying to crap on your dreams, a BCY powered drift wagon would be unique for sure, but I think it's not so much the engine, as the owner, that would go broke. Just my opinion, again, I'm no expert.

Your English is better than many US-born citizens, no need to apologize

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Ill buy it back at 500 that BCY..

I would also suggest selling the BCY for a profit, and purchase a more simple engine to modify. I don't think it will be very cost effective to run a BCY engine in a drift car. They are very reliable but generally speaking are costly to run. I have noticed that certain Scandinavian countries are known for making pretty crazy engine conversions in different cars, so if you have a good budget to work with, it could be a lot of fun!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Same short block is run in the 800hp Gumpert Apollo.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I do not believe these engines are expensive to run... Quite the contrary.. when did you hear of a BCY launhcing a piston, or smashing a crank, anyone for bent rods.. These are extremely well crafted engines that require the same minutia when assembling.. If one respects the engineering limitations and understands how this puppy was put together, then this can a very very interesting platform to work from..

Quote Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
    ..when did you hear of a BCY launhcing a piston, or smashing a crank, anyone for bent rods..
    Have never seen personally, but I have heard of it occurring. Have no details/specifics on what caused it though.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I do not believe these engines are expensive to run... Quite the contrary.. when did you hear of a BCY launhcing a piston, or smashing a crank, anyone for bent rods.. These are extremely well crafted engines that require the same minutia when assembling.. If one respects the engineering limitations and understands how this puppy was put together, then this can a very very interesting platform to work from..
    It's everything around the engine...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

if you found a BCY for $500 there must something wrong with it, i'd very circumspect about that engine being sold so cheap...or perhaps is a bare motor? even so, it's still cheap...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    It's everything around the engine...
    I'm not sure that your statement is correct. If we take into account that this car is 11 or 12 years old, that it is a high performance car , actually playing in the super-car arena, the Audi RS6 is actually a real bargain and extremely cheap to operate if I dare compare oranges to oranges. Now yes it is more costly than a Toyota Camry, but that is not what an RS6.

I have mine for just about a month, and I must say that this is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven, it give me 20+ miles per gallon on highway and spanks anything that gets in its way, ( A collection of WRX, Porsches, and a whole bunch of American new muscle ). The car drives like a dream, comfortable, and very nimble for its weight. Ever drive English cars ???

I'm not sure that your statement is correct. If we take into account that this car is 11 or 12 years old, that it is a high performance car , actually playing in the super-car arena, the Audi RS6 is actually a real bargain and extremely cheap to operate if I dare compare oranges to oranges. Now yes it is more costly than a Toyota Camry, but that is not what an RS6.

I have mine for just about a month, and I must say that this is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven, it give me 20+ miles per gallon on highway and spanks anything that gets in its way, ( A collection of WRX, Porsches, and a whole bunch of American new muscle ). The car drives like a dream, comfortable, and very nimble for its weight. Ever drive English cars ???
    Pretty sure it is...give it a few years of ownership and you find more hidden costs. Parts are easily more than many other engines, and if you add in labor it much more.

I agree with the rest of your statement. Awesome performance car and well worth the cost!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com