Thread: Car wandering over bumps and dips

Car wandering over bumps and dips

Just put my summer tires on for the first time since I got the car....car is showing strange behavior over bumps and dips....seems to wander or move laterally on its perch so to speak. I don't think it is the tires per se but more the KW V1 coilovers the car came with. I never liked this setup but thought I would stick with it for a year or so. I am having second thoughts now even though I am in the process of replacing a leaky strut.

Anybody have the same experience with base coilover systems? I may just go with Koni Yellows and stock springs given the current sale that is going on.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

consider larger roll bars....Hotchkiss makes a nice pair. The KW V3 version is a bit better for the RS6's weight.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Platform is weak on three legs.

If you have a leaking shock....you're on three legs.

Koni swap is a good choice

True Dave..however I think there is an underlying problem with the KW V1 setup (rebound and damping). I think I will switch to Konis sooner than I expected
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Do the Konis come with shock mounts or do I need to order them? If so, anyone has part numbers?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Do the Konis come with shock mounts or do I need to order them? If so, anyone has part numbers?
    Thanks
    The Koni's do NOT come with mounts... It's a good time to replace them, but not entirely necessary unless they are shot.

The symptoms you describe are either from one or more bad struts (mine was due to a bad foot valve in the right rear), or from one or more struts being set-up (adjusted) differently.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Do you have the stock springs? If not consider the HR Coilovers for $1,200. Or someone should have a set of stock. Koni setup is great, could use a bit of fine tuning in ride height.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I am still waffling back and forth (waiting on strut replacement for KW..almost 5 weeks now!). I have ordered the Hotchkiss Sway bars and will probably replace the leaky KW strut for now and raise the ride height a bit and see how it feels. I am also getting this digital boost gauge from P3cars..

http://www.p3cars.com/audi-a6-s6-rs6...tal-interface/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5 VIDI Gauge.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	16314

I had a question though...as per KW instructions the height B in the picture below is a minimum of 14" (hub center to fender). Mine is lower than that unless I am reading this wrong. I also thought the stock measurement for that was 13.xx"?

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWGFwEA-h68610053.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KW Var 1 Settings.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	16313

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Do you have the stock springs? If not consider the HR Coilovers for $1,200. Or someone should have a set of stock. Koni setup is great, could use a bit of fine tuning in ride height.
    I do have the stock springs and DRC system

Glad to hear it. The Hotchkiss sway bars do wonderful things for keeping the car level around corners. I set on full stiff for the rear, seems plenty good. Really no different feel in direct line shock function.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

True Dave..however I think there is an underlying problem with the KW V1 setup (rebound and damping). I think I will switch to Konis sooner than I expected
    KW V1 (aka ST Coilovers) have lack lustre rebound and dampening.... I have run a set for the past year on the one car here and they will be replaced with something different shortly.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks Bigglezworth...it was one of your posts that mentioned the issue you had with STs that got me thinking about this pogo effect the car is showing

Thanks Bigglezworth...it was one of your posts that mentioned the issue you had with STs that got me thinking about this pogo effect the car is showing
    I liken the feel of the ride to that of a plastic boat in the tub that your kid plays with. When the water is calm, the boat is nice and flat, but as soon as you introduce a wave, the boat rolls all over the place clumsily.... A crude teeter totter affect if you will. Spring rates with the ST's were fine, but the damper itself sucks compared to DRC and the KW-V3 versions of it's bigger brother.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That's the perfect description of what it feels like

I purchased the Koni and H&R spring setup for my car. I also picked up a new front control arm kit and front strut mount kit. They will all go on the car this Saturday.

By the way, I have the P3 gauge in my RS4 and love it. I plan on adding it to my RS6 in the near future.

The sway bar upgrade is on my list too.
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +