Thread: Stern & Apikol mounts

Stern & Apikol mounts

Looking to confirm model numbers and place of purchase for any owners that are running Stern Motor Mounts, Apikol Tranny Mounts, and Apikol Differential mounts. In enquiring about the Stern mounts through a trio of on-line vendors/resellers, I was not successful in guaranteeing a specific model number as STern doesn't list any specific for RS6. I know a few members are running them and wanted to confirm the model # you purchased as there are different heights.

Thx
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Bought these for my RS6 and loved them. Come with the sensor deletes as well.

http://www.purems.com/Products/ST-B6...t-Motor-Mounts
    2004 Sportec RS600 + 6MT + e85
    Fastest RS6 in the USA

Same link on the engine mounts as Corbett posted above. I went with the soft. At idle there is a little vibration felt that goes away if you bump up the RPM's by a couple of hundred. I also have the Apikol tranny and Diff mounts. Had the Diff mount in there a year before the other mounts and no change felt but I'm sure the stock rubber mount was getting soft. The Apikol tranny mounts at the same time as the Stearns motor mounts so the combo probably causes the little vibration at low idle but other than that no noticeable changes other than the drivetrain slop seems to be reduced. I would definitely do them again and when I go to the 6spd conversion this summer I'm sure the lower drivetrain slop will be even more important then.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

how do you tell if the mounts are going bad?
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I dunno if there's a way you can tell apart from a visual inspection for cracks/wear, but rubber ages over time and our cars aren't getting any younger.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I had the blue Apikol Diff Mount as I had a bit of driveline lash.
    Installed in 15 minutes.
    Noticeable decrease in lash, not completely eliminated but definitely reduced.

Upon inspecting the OEM Diff Mount, the was 1 of the rubber prongs cracked in half completely; then another prong was on its way to being severed also.
    Upon inspecting Wade's (born2be) OEM Diff Mount, 3 of the rubber prongs were cracked completely and were on the way to total failure.

Sterns all the way and Apikol all the way.

Not sure about the Apikol Red Diff Mount.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

New motor mounts, tranny mounts, and diff mounts all ordered! Rendezvous with the parts that are being drop shipped to a friend of mine in Carlsbad, CA at end of May. Going to be a heavy suitcase coming back home as I am coming back with, a new set of Koni Yellow Sports, new Stern engine mounts, new Apikol Red tranny mounts, new Apikol Red diff mounts, new OEM spec front upper strut bushings, new set of front and rear EBC Yellows, new outer CV Joints front and rear, new inner CV joints rear, new centre drive shaft CV front and rear joints, and finally a full 12pc front control arm kit..... WHEW!

As a heads up, PureMS had the strut bushings on sale for $9.95 ea which is a great price IMO.
    http://www.purems.com/Products/4D041...-Shock-Bushing
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 2nd, 2015 at 02:10.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    New motor mounts, tranny mounts, and diff mounts all ordered! Rendezvous with the parts that are being drop shipped to a friend of mine in Carlsbad, CA at end of May. Going to be a heavy suitcase coming back home as I am coming back with, a new set of Koni Yellow Sports, new Stern engine mounts, new Apikol Red tranny mounts, new Apikol Red diff mounts, new OEM spec front upper strut bushings, new set of front and rear EBC Yellows, new outer CV Joints front and rear, new inner CV joints rear, new centre drive shaft CV front and rear joints, and finally a full 12pc front control arm kit..... WHEW!

As a heads up, PureMS had the strut bushings on sale for $9.95 ea which is a great price IMO.
    Are you going to stop and say hi to Mike at PureMS?
    What about that dentist fellow named John (Audi5000csqt)?

It isn't often that So Cal receives someone from "Cowtown, AB"...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Are you going to stop and say hi to Mike at PureMS?
    What about that dentist fellow named John (Audi5000csqt)?

It isn't often that So Cal receives someone from "Cowtown, AB"...
    I hadn't planned to drop by no. It's a whirlwind visit as it stands already.

And just to clarify for those that aren't knowledgable about The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, Cowtown is merely slang for Calgary, Alberta. The Oil & Gas hub of Canada. Bigger in natural resources than Houston/Dallas if I'm not mistaken. There are more cars per capita here than any other city/metropolitan in north america. Every possible type of car that you can think of (including ubber expensive hyper cars) all exist in this city (Pagani, Bugatti, Maseratti, etc.)...
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; May 4th, 2015 at 23:05.

Did you get all these in yet? Can you give us a quick review on harshness and noise? Are the Stern mounts a good fit? I remember reading that they might be too tall. My drivetrain with the 6 speed is sloppy as hell but I want the car to be smooth and quiet so i'm concerned about the mounts being too stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Did you get all these in yet? Can you give us a quick review on harshness and noise? Are the Stern mounts a good fit? I remember reading that they might be too tall. My drivetrain with the 6 speed is sloppy as hell but I want the car to be smooth and quiet so i'm concerned about the mounts being too stiff.
    I have two suitcases full of parts waiting anxiously to be installed yes. I have been swamped with some summer home renovations and haven't spent any time at all working on replacing everything on the winter ride. I added a new set of rotors to all the other items along with a new set of wheel bearings also. Going to be like new - so to speak. lol Can tell you more closer to start of September.

I've got the Stearn and Apikol (Softer) mounts. A little vibration at idle but gone at just above idle and beyond. Don't notice any harshness with it and I'm sure there is less drivetrain play (also have the Apikol rear Diff mount) but I've had the combo for 3+ years so I can't remember what a regular RS6 is like. I'd do it again over stock. Sure I wish the slight engine vibration wasn't there at idle but I'd do them all over again.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Anyone use these over Stern? They look like they'd be easier to install with the bolts instead of studs. Also they are available with 10mm hardware instead of the factory 8mm FWIW

http://store.034motorsport.com/motor...oogle_shopping

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Anyone use these over Stern? They look like they'd be easier to install with the bolts instead of studs. Also they are available with 10mm hardware instead of the factory 8mm FWIW

http://store.034motorsport.com/motor...oogle_shopping
    Not suitable for street use. They are rigid mounts with zero dampening. Drag/off-road use only IMO.

Not suitable for street use. They are rigid mounts with zero dampening. Drag/off-road use only IMO.
    They are isolated with rubber. They look like they are rigid but they are not. They have a street and a race version.