Thread: dripping trans after rebuild

Question dripping trans after rebuild

Long story short. In transit my car was taken for a joy ride...again (3rd time now) and they broke something with the tranny. I've already settled with the relocation company the Army uses, but still waiting on a check. I'm getting a drop every hour or so. Someone told me to use this leak stopper fluid that you add to the transmission. I'm pretty skeptical about using it in our cars, so I figured I would ask you guys first. Any suggestions? It's starting to slip in 4th and 5th now, so something has to be done asap.

~Grey
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Highly recommend against any leak stopper in these trannys.

I would suspect the fluid level is incorrect or possibly the wrong type. At the very least recommend checking the level asap and looking for large amount of friction material in the drained fluid. Top off if necessary and inspect for this leak.

Just to clarify, you mention rebuild in your title, what was the rebuild?

Each time I ship my cars I take pictures of the mileage. Not sure how much or if I could sue them for any joyride, but I'd easily put it at $10k for possible damages. In a way the car shouldn't just break if driven hard for a bit. Being tuned greatly increased the chance of driveline issues unfortunately. At least you got it back in one piece!

The rear of the trans is a common leak point, and there is an upgraded seal there for the output shaft. I can't remember if the trans has to be out and worked on for this rear seal to be replaced, but I have had it done on both of my trans swaps. Hope you're getting settled back into Texas, just in time for thunderstorm season, watch out for that hail!

Sounds like you're clutches are shot if it's slipping in all gears. There is a quick and dirty fix by changing a fuse in the valve body. Trans pan has to come off. I can look it up if you need. Time to start searching for a rebuilt trans!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

But...but the trans was just rebuilt! Yes it's tuned, so that could be it, but it's evident they were doing launches in the car. Average MPH was 33. It was inspected before shipping with no problems and after shipping with the leak. I have all the paperwork to prove everything. Oh lord, this car is like a bad luck charm. By rebuild, I mean replace everything. I was going the EGT sensors, then just decided to have pretty much anything you can name replaced with OEM. Besides obvious the huge ticket items. It ran flawlessly before I shipped it.
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Doesn't sound good. Guessing the trans build went wrong somehow, and rear seal was not upgraded. Have trans fluid level checked asap, low will allow slip.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This is where the APR tune would have been great! Valet Mode...

Sorry to hear of this! This would have me very upset with the transport company.

If you look closely, you "might" see that the DRC is leaking too and would have to be replaced, on their dime of course, with KWv3s...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Lol I like your thinking. So quick question that I need RS6 specific answers on. I have liquid Moly 40 I believe in my car...Its also leaking oil. I can't change it, because theres no where to change it around here and The drain bolt plug is like locked on..Can I add a different brand of oil just to get it above the minimum line so I can take it Audi? I'd get the same spec and everything, but we all know certain brands don't go well in our cars. Thanks for input.

I would be very careful on mixing brands of oils unless you are taking it straight to the dealership after topping off.
    Others might be more knowledgeable in arena.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared