Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arg - Rough idle..

Arg - Rough idle..

Happened on the way home and came out of no where. No CEL and no immediate codes on autoscan. Great at wide open throttle. Sounds like my old Chevelle running a solid lifter cam with .560 of lift w/ 260deg duration at .050. lol Lopey

Place your bets...
    SJP
    MAF
    Vacuum hose

I will scan select measuring blocks on the weekend. Time to pull out reserve #2 in the mean time.....
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; April 23rd, 2015 at 05:07.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

on my car it was the cam chain tensioners haha, partly maf seals... so hard to tell with these cars... break out the smoke machine!
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I'm going with mafs. One of them shit the bed.

Did you scan it?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I wanna play, my guess is Maf(s)

I'm going with MAF. I just had the same problem.

Replaced one MAF, pcv valve and hose, compression and smoke test, intercooler pipe and a few other bits.

Car is finally running as it should. Finally.

I will play, eh!

It's the hoser, ya hoser!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'll play! My money is on electrical gremlin, no actual part(s) problems.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

And the winner is......

Not the MAF's. They were reading just fine between 3.5 & 5.0. Rough idle was sporatic and after I took it for a quick drive around the block noticed the illfated stiff brake pedal. Confirm with a simple spray of Simple Kleen MAF sensor cleaner down near the PCV valve that the engine RPM's rose noticeably which confirms vacuum leak.... Damn. lol

I would have preferred it being a simple MAF issue.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Ahh, well can't guess them all correctly.

I thought a vacuum leak initially but figured it would cause a lean code as well.

Least it was a somewhat easy find.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Icky.

Can you hear it?

Sounds like you might have to pull the intake....
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

It's probably the air leaking past the MAF's. Stupid O rings...I just wrapped black tape around my MAF's, shoved them back in...lasted for years...but I had my MAF's disconnected from my MAF's too.

There is a 3 way intake valve that will affect your brake pressure and idle. Just had mine replaced. $20 part, 9 hours labor

hey rs6BC. My car I believe is having this issue. It was idling weird and then a few miles later no brake pressure at all. I can hear a large leak under the intake it seems like. I pulled the carbon box with MAFs, tried to look around but nothing.

I fear I may have to pull the intake as well. Just wondering if your issue sounded like this. Also need to look into a DIY for removing the intake manifold. Anyone have any insight on this? How horrible is it?
    2003 Audi RS6, 1991 Audi 200 20VT
    1982 Honda CB900F, 1985 Honda VF1000R, 2004 Honda RC51

Quote Originally Posted by A4V8swap View Post
    hey rs6BC. My car I believe is having this issue. It was idling weird and then a few miles later no brake pressure at all. I can hear a large leak under the intake it seems like. I pulled the carbon box with MAFs, tried to look around but nothing.

I fear I may have to pull the intake as well. Just wondering if your issue sounded like this. Also need to look into a DIY for removing the intake manifold. Anyone have any insight on this? How horrible is it?
    Yes, you will unfortunately need to pull the intake. It seems like quite a job. Brav did a diy a while back. There is a plastic valve under there that can apparently crack.

RS6 help please! Need help. Have a broken piece under my intake manifold (huge vacuum leak and no more brake booster hard as hell). I've isolated it to this with brake cleaner to test for a leak and a common problem apparently.

Anyone she's basically off. And I'm normally a pretty self sufficient guy don't ask for much help but I think I may need it. Basically removed. Bi pipe. Fuel rail, anything associated top of it. Wiring harness blah blah. At the back of the manifold there's the charge pipes back there with quite a few lines and hoses that I don't want to remove. I have tried to gently pry this off with the bolts removed but there is a dowel almost where the piece sits on the intake and I can't get it to slide off. Other then that I should be golden to get it off.

Anyone ever remove an rs6 intake manifold? Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	16405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image22.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	16406
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	201 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	16402  

Well looks like I just need to stop being a weiner because from the photos Brav had the same issue and just pried it. I just really don't want to break anything.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...ugh-idle/page4

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	210 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	16407Success!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	197 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	16408