Thread: cleaning aluminum oil cooler/engine mount how to?

cleaning aluminum oil cooler/engine mount how to?

I have the oil cooler (the one at the block) off and ready for the new orings and bufkin pipe (on the way in the mail). I want to clean the housing really well. I have all the orings off, pulled the plugs and banjo bolts out, and it appears there is no rubber or plastic inside. I have a sand blaster, but right now it's loaded with coal slag. I don't really want to blast it as I am sure some would get in the ports no matter how well I plugged them off. I was just wondering what's the easiest way to clean it and is there anything inside I need to be aware of? I was considering any of the following: dip it and boil, dip in vinegar, oven cleaner, wd40, or a solvent parts washer. Recommendations?

Best source for Bufkin pipe?

Ebay, the man himself. Picked one up myself recently.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    I have the oil cooler (the one at the block) off and ready for the new orings and bufkin pipe (on the way in the mail). I want to clean the housing really well. I have all the orings off, pulled the plugs and banjo bolts out, and it appears there is no rubber or plastic inside. I have a sand blaster, but right now it's loaded with coal slag. I don't really want to blast it as I am sure some would get in the ports no matter how well I plugged them off. I was just wondering what's the easiest way to clean it and is there anything inside I need to be aware of? I was considering any of the following: dip it and boil, dip in vinegar, oven cleaner, wd40, or a solvent parts washer. Recommendations?
    I'd recommend against sand blaster no matter the fineness of the grit. You'll strip all coating off and run the risk of thinning the tubing or putting a hole in it.

I'd do the following:
    1) Dunk in hot water with lots of dishwashing detergent, run hot water through both directions until no more buildup gunk comes out.
    2) Bucket CLR 10% Water 90% solution, dunk and leave in overnight, dump out.
    3) Dip and boil it.
    4) Finish with a leak test - cap outlet, fill at inlet, and let it bake in the sun for a bit, shake it to see if water droplets come out anywhere.
    Once all that is done, dump water out
    5) Oven bake low for 30 minutes at 250-275 to get all trace of water out.
    6) Serve with garnish

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

In lieu of using an actual parts washer, rubber gloves, mineral spirits and a toothbrush &/or small bristle brush work best for parts clean-up. DON'T sandblast this at all - PERIOD.... Oil travels through this part and you may never get all the particles out from the crevasses & orifices.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    In lieu of using an actual parts washer, rubber gloves, mineral spirits and a toothbrush &/or small bristle brush work best for parts clean-up. DON'T sandblast this at all - PERIOD.... Oil travels through this part and you may never get all the particles out from the crevasses & orifices.
    Excellent point on stray particles - sand is the anti-lubrication.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    Best source for Bufkin pipe?
    You can e-mail him directly: jamesbufkin[AT]bufkinengineering[DOT]com

Got the pipe. Looks hardcore compared to oem. Other_erik, nice recipe for cleaning. I just ended up spraying oven cleaner on exterior, toothbrush stubborn exterior crevices then boiled. After I boiled it seemed to oxidize very quickly so I coated lightly with wd40. Had considered powder coating but ultimately want tot get this done ASAP and I want it clean. I'll use your recipe on the next part. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    Got the pipe. Looks hardcore compared to oem. Other_erik, nice recipe for cleaning. I just ended up spraying oven cleaner on exterior, toothbrush stubborn exterior crevices then boiled. After I boiled it seemed to oxidize very quickly so I coated lightly with wd40. Had considered powder coating but ultimately want tot get this done ASAP and I want it clean. I'll use your recipe on the next part. Thanks.
    NP. Don't get it powder coated, you want to be able to radiate heat off of it. Maybe consider anodizing if original finish is wearing off.

Good luck!
    O_E