Thread: ECU Help!

ECU Help!

Long time listener, first time caller. The ECU on my '03 RS6 does not send information to the Virginia emissions inspection machine.

It will initially connect and won't pass information on the second phase.

Tried a couple of different shops and it failed to communicate.
    Took it to the independent shop with no luck.
    At the dealer and the same situation.
    There was another short thread from 2010 that had a similar issue and had the ECU reset at the dealer and it worked.
    My dealer says they can't communicate with the ECU to reset it (??) and it needs a new one ~$2,600

It does have a GIAC tune from a previous owner ....

Thoughts from the collective? Thanks!

well, you should update your location so anyone close to you might be able to "borrow" an ECU to test the died ECU theory.

What about a redneck reset? (unplug battery for 30 minutes)

EDIT: standby for GIAC storm...
    Last edited by ben916; April 18th, 2015 at 00:39. Reason: GIAC
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Updated. Did try the 30 minute reset between the first couple tests. Maybe I'll unplug it all night .....

Are you suggesting plugging in another 'good' ECU and running the emission test?

Figured the the storm would hit .

I don't believe you can just swap in someone else's ECU without addressing (via Vag-com or a dealer) the immobilizer. Just a heads up.

You can swap an ECU that's been immobilizer defeated and drive the car with no issues.

You can even plug in an ECU from an S6 or 4.2 A6 and turn the key on to see if you get communications to the exu through the OBD plug.

Do you have the GIAC flash loader? If so, can you communicate to the ECU with it?

I've got a GIAC flash loader and a spare ECU that's immo defeated but I'm pretty far away.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Guessing the GIAC tune screwed something...at least your engine is in one piece (can run lean). They solder a chip in?, maybe borrow an ECU as suggested. I've been trying to buy a backup for sub $500.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Don't have the loader, thinking I need to reach out to GIAC and see what can be done there.

What does it take to disable the immobilizer on an ECU? If that is the case, I could find a used one.

Will PM SteveKen ....

Found thread on immobilizer process.

if somebody looking for a ECU, I got one for 350 shipped. it will need IMMo delete in order to plug and play

If somehow a GIAC loader is needed in this process I could sell mine to you cheap. It is from my old RS4 (has RS4 race gas, 93, stock and valet on it).
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Will send an update in a day or so .....

SteveKen loaned me an ECU and GIAC loader (thanks!).

The he car runs great (knocking on wood) with the current ECU outside of the emissions communication issue.

The GIAC loader can read the ECU and I can adjust the tune. Put it on stock from pump, still no communication to the emissions machine.

Took the car to a tuner in Baltimore and VAG com reads it no problem, couple intermittent items that have been there for since I've owned it for the last 2 years. EGT and an engine mount. They did not have emissions equipment to test.

Took it back to emissions and no communication. I don't get how the dealer can't communicate with the ECU if VAG Com can????? Would really like a factory reflash. Maybe something in the wiring or a short somewhere?

Hired a a locksmith to get the PIN for the original ECU - his device couldn't communicate with my ECU or Steve's.

Swapped in Steve's ECU and car operates same as if there is no ECU. No immobilizer errors and the engine cranks without catching ....

Thinking about out buying a new ECU outright from VW or finding some way to test the harness from ODB2 to the ECU ....

Have you tried a different dealer? Might be an issue with their particular version of software.....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Wow, that is an interesting story. I hope it gets all worked out for you. The electronic gremlins begin to plague older cars. My understanding is that the testers the mechanics use are much more invasive than the VAG-COM software and can find other things. Have you had the car into an shop to test the ECU yet???

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Wow, that is an interesting story. I hope it gets all worked out for you. The electronic gremlins begin to plague older cars. My understanding is that the testers the mechanics use are much more invasive than the VAG-COM software and can find other things. Have you had the car into an shop to test the ECU yet???

Mike

I've got a couple more leads on shops to look into it as there is something wrong if VAG Com can read it and the dealer can't .... Me thinks 'won't'

Sure everyone has been holding their breath to find out what happens on this thread ... Cutting to the chase - it passed! No freakin' idea why, however ... it passed!

An Audi tuner suggested it was the new Virginia emissions equipment and the ECU needed the original software files. Had the original files put back on by GIAC dealer and it failed. Waited a while longer and went to another indy shop who said the new emission machines will fail if both grounds in the ODB2 port aren't working. VAGCom and others will only use one of the grounds.

Made sense to me. They checked it out, nothing they could determine so they ran emissions and it passed. Note I had the emissions check run approximately 10 times at 4 different locations. Including the dealer who said they couldn't reflash my ECU (let alone read it) and wanted $2,600 to replace it. Now I need to get it reflashed (boy do I miss those extra 100 foot pounds at 2,000 RPM)!
    '03 RS6 Daytona Grey - GIAC - Koni's
    '01 9-3 Steel Grey - Stage 3 BSR