Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission Slip Question

BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Because they aren't, it's all just a dream all this point.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Metal particles found in tranny oil. Audi 'stealer'- dealership has given option of complete tranny swap w/ re-built unit from Audi- Germany at considerable cost w/ only 12,000 mile 1 yr. warranty / are these re-built units up-graded/ does anyone have any previous experience w/ a re-built tranny unit direct from Audi???

Warranty is standard. Rebuilt units seem fine. You have a few private companies also. Would be great if you could find a shop you trust, could save thousands.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    Metal particles found in tranny oil. Audi 'stealer'- dealership has given option of complete tranny swap w/ re-built unit from Audi- Germany at considerable cost w/ only 12,000 mile 1 yr. warranty / are these re-built units up-graded/ does anyone have any previous experience w/ a re-built tranny unit direct from Audi???
    http://www.517trans.com/catalog/11b.php
    Call them about upgrades, have an indy shop swap in. Think about changing your Torque converter at the same time.

I can't find contact info for Tozo, but have heard that you get a tip-top unit at a good price.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I will check on both- thanks for the info. Erick. Dealer price and scope included TC.

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    I will check on both- thanks for the info. Erick. Dealer price and scope included TC.
    NP. I saw in your other thread what they're quoting you - that's a pretty damn good deal coming from AoA, less than they'd charge here to change EGT sensors. You're probably looking at the same cost give or take going with 517 to do both Trans and TC, and you'd have to find an indy shop who would cut you a pretty good price on labor. Not sure about Tozo - whether they even do the TC. Add on top of that that you'd have to freight back the old trans and TC, and you may be looking at better pricing from the dealer (amazing!).

My biggest question for AoA regarding rebuilt trans/TC - "Are you adding any hardened parts / better seals / etc to make sure this doesn't happen again?" - the answer is likely a resounding "No." The good news is that you would definitely have the better seal in the Torque Converter.

Personally, if it came down to my choice, I'd go with what AoA is offering - not knocking Tozo or 517, but it sounds like you've made inroads at your local dealer, and they're cutting you quite the break on labor and parts to get the price down to what they're saying. Plus the warranty they offer (yeah, only a year and 12k miles), will be good at any Audi dealer nationwide. That's the part that'd tip me over the edge. Your mileage may vary (pardon the pun). See if you can work them just a bit to cover part (say, 10% of a 4yr/48k miles) of an aftermarket warranty with Fidelity Platinum, and you've got a winner on your hands.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    NP. I saw in your other thread what they're quoting you - that's a pretty damn good deal coming from AoA, less than they'd charge here to change EGT sensors. You're probably looking at the same cost give or take going with 517 to do both Trans and TC, and you'd have to find an indy shop who would cut you a pretty good price on labor. Not sure about Tozo - whether they even do the TC. Add on top of that that you'd have to freight back the old trans and TC, and you may be looking at better pricing from the dealer (amazing!).

My biggest question for AoA regarding rebuilt trans/TC - "Are you adding any hardened parts / better seals / etc to make sure this doesn't happen again?" - the answer is likely a resounding "No." The good news is that you would definitely have the better seal in the Torque Converter.

Personally, if it came down to my choice, I'd go with what AoA is offering - not knocking Tozo or 517, but it sounds like you've made inroads at your local dealer, and they're cutting you quite the break on labor and parts to get the price down to what they're saying. Plus the warranty they offer (yeah, only a year and 12k miles), will be good at any Audi dealer nationwide. That's the part that'd tip me over the edge. Your mileage may vary (pardon the pun). See if you can work them just a bit to cover part (say, 10% of a 4yr/48k miles) of an aftermarket warranty with Fidelity Platinum, and you've got a winner on your hands.

O_E
    This seems good to me too. If they can give you a solid price like that, and a good warranty, just go for it. I don't think you're tuned or need to focus on a higher strength trans; and our trans can only get so strong.

My impression is about half of the original RS6 trans have lasted around 100k, not bad at all really. The main reason for early and common failures was the TC having a bad seal, and then destroying the trans. A new trans and TC from Audi should get you another 100k as long as you are not hammering on it with a high tuned engine.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com