Click image for larger version. 

Name:	257.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	16225

Codes stored:
    02633 - Antenna for Satellite Tuner 009 - Open or Short to Ground
    02635 - Tuner Not Enabled/Activated 000 - -

I am thinking the tuner may be at fault not the antenna as the codes indicate. The antenna coax cables had continuity to the antenna itself when I tested them. Haven't checked the antenna for continuity yet, never heard of an antenna just breaking or even going bad though I guess it could happen like anything else. Also just a note well gripe- these Bentley manuals leave a bit to be desired. Could not find any info about testing the sat tuner antenna.

Also what leads me to believe the tuner is at fault, the advanced measuring values all report N/A. Instead of an actual number value they all just say N/A, that can't be normal...

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    This cropped up this weekend....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	257.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	16225

Codes stored:
    02633 - Antenna for Satellite Tuner 009 - Open or Short to Ground
    02635 - Tuner Not Enabled/Activated 000 - -

I am thinking the tuner may be at fault not the antenna as the codes indicate. The antenna coax cables had continuity to the antenna itself when I tested them. Haven't checked the antenna for continuity yet, never heard of an antenna just breaking or even going bad though I guess it could happen like anything else. Also just a note well gripe- these Bentley manuals leave a bit to be desired. Could not find any info about testing the sat tuner antenna.

Also what leads me to believe the tuner is at fault, the advanced measuring values all report N/A. Instead of an actual number value they all just say N/A, that can't be normal...

Any ideas?
    Advanced measurements won't report values until the unit is activated.

Check your wiring harness pinouts, make sure the antenna wires are tagged to correct ports on the interface cable. Check any of the other RNS-E threads open for pinout diagrams.

Good luck!
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Good point about the unit not being active yet and the measuring values.

So I pulled all things RNS-E related, installed the factory Symphony unit and same codes... Maybe the sat tuner antenna is bad afterall

So I pulled all things RNS-E related, installed the factory Symphony unit and same codes... Maybe the sat tuner antenna is bad afterall
    Think back to your RNS-E install - did you change pinouts on the Sat Tuner cabling to the harness? I'd eliminate that possibility before saying that it's definitely the sat tuner antenna. Of course it's entirely possible that the antenna itself is bad, were you using it prior to the RNS-E install (and was it working properly?) Did you do any recode through the Vag-com for RNS-E?

Disclaimer: I'm by no means any expert, I'm still trying to track down why my RNS-E won't go to deep sleep (Cooling fan stays on 24x7, any disc left in will spin 24x7 unless I pull the radio fuse) - it works just fine in another RS6, maybe I'm missing a radio recode via Vag-com?

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

No I have always had an issue with the sat tuner antenna codes, even with the Symphony head unit.

Regardless I think I have found the problem. One of the fakra crimp style connectors in the trunk that go into the tuner unit, well the conductor inside the wire has been pushed back to the point where it's not making contact with the conductor of the tuner.

Found it last night checking for wire integrity from the Sirius tuner to the sat antenna.

The original owner had an aftermarket head unit with blue tooth, back up cam and Sirius- all Pioneer gear. During the install they must have bent it somehow plugging it into the Pioneer Sirius unit.

---When I get home this evening I will post up my coding in VCDS to your rns-e thread so you can compare it to yours. Also the rns-e harness has a 12V constant lead and a 12V switched lead going into the rns-e unit, maybe those are in the wrong position in the harness? or the coding is not quite right, my best guess anyways.

No I have always had an issue with the sat tuner antenna codes, even with the Symphony head unit.

Regardless I think I have found the problem. One of the fakra crimp style connectors in the trunk that go into the tuner unit, well the conductor inside the wire has been pushed back to the point where it's not making contact with the conductor of the tuner.

Found it last night checking for wire integrity from the Sirius tuner to the sat antenna.

The original owner had an aftermarket head unit with blue tooth, back up cam and Sirius- all Pioneer gear. During the install they must have bent it somehow plugging it into the Pioneer Sirius unit.

---When I get home this evening I will post up my coding in VCDS to your rns-e thread so you can compare it to yours. Also the rns-e harness has a 12V constant lead and a 12V switched lead going into the rns-e unit, maybe those are in the wrong position in the harness? or the coding is not quite right, my best guess anyways.
    Yep, that'd cause bad signal. Hopefully you've traced down your problem. Thanks for volunteering the coding, hopefully my issue will be as simple as a change in the radio group

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY figured out the issue with my RNS-E install

Pulled the OnStar guts and battery, no more battery drain, no more spinning the nav DVD constantly, everything works perfectly! Now to move the stock GPS antenna from passenger footwell up to the radio harness, I'll be able to pull the puck antenna off my dashboard for even cleaner install.

Huzzah! Thanks for the inspiration, RSOverAll!

No problem. Im glad to hear you got it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY figured out the issue with my RNS-E install

Pulled the OnStar guts and battery, no more battery drain, no more spinning the nav DVD constantly, everything works perfectly! Now to move the stock GPS antenna from passenger footwell up to the radio harness, I'll be able to pull the puck antenna off my dashboard for even cleaner install.

Huzzah! Thanks for the inspiration, RSOverAll!
    This!!!
    If someone is looking for the magnetic GPS puck, I have an extra from 2013... Just saying
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared