Thread: Electrical gremlins?

Electrical gremlins?

Interior lights stay on, hazards come on and off without reason?

Any thoughts, experience, reasons?

I'm used to CEL's with Audi, but this is a first (9 Audi's deep).

Done an autoscan with VCDS yet? Any codes?

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    Done an autoscan with VCDS yet? Any codes?
    This will come as a shock...and will also need to be quickly rectified...I don't have a scanner. What's the recommended way to go these days...still ross-tech.com?

HERE'S AN UPDATE:

When driving the car, from time to time, the headunit would switch to "Phone" mode and stop playing music...even though the OEM phone cradle wasn't plugged in. Slightly annoying, but no big deal. Then it stopped being from time to time and just stayed fully in Phone mode...no way to switch out of it.

Then the hazard lights would start flashing on their own.

Then the OnStar light would flicker intermittently.

Then this really annoying clicking/static through the speakers that wouldn't stop even when the stereo was turned off.

And then continued when the car was turned off.

CLICK CLICK CLICK POP CLICK CLICK CLIIIIIIIICK

New headunit ordered...just because.

This is an issue that I can only LOL at.

My backup car also has an electrical issue.

I've dropped both cars off at their respective mechanics today...at least on the BMW I know it's a level sensor that's causing it to act up...easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    This will come as a shock...and will also need to be quickly rectified...I don't have a scanner. What's the recommended way to go these days...still ross-tech.com?

HERE'S AN UPDATE:

When driving the car, from time to time, the headunit would switch to "Phone" mode and stop playing music...even though the OEM phone cradle wasn't plugged in. Slightly annoying, but no big deal. Then it stopped being from time to time and just stayed fully in Phone mode...no way to switch out of it.
    Then the hazard lights would start flashing on their own.
    Then the OnStar light would flicker intermittently.
    Then this really annoying clicking/static through the speakers that wouldn't stop even when the stereo was turned off.
    And then continued when the car was turned off.
    CLICK CLICK CLICK POP CLICK CLICK CLIIIIIIIICK
    New headunit ordered...just because.
    This is an issue that I can only LOL at.
    My backup car also has an electrical issue.
    I've dropped both cars off at their respective mechanics today...at least on the BMW I know it's a level sensor that's causing it to act up...easy fix.
    Big 10-4 on the Ross-tech.com get yourself a vag-com!

As for the other, sounds almost like the Onstar system is receiving and/or generating an emergency signal - pull those guts (they don't work anyway, since the changeover to digital), and shave a couple pounds of weight (including the emergency reserve battery)

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Big 10-4 on the Ross-tech.com get yourself a vag-com!

As for the other, sounds almost like the Onstar system is receiving and/or generating an emergency signal - pull those guts (they don't work anyway, since the changeover to digital), and shave a couple pounds of weight (including the emergency reserve battery)

O_E
    Thanks, Erik. Can you direct me to where I can find the OnStar guts? In the trunk with everything else, or somewhere really convenient where I'll need to drop the engine out to access? ;-)

Thanks, Erik. Can you direct me to where I can find the OnStar guts? In the trunk with everything else, or somewhere really convenient where I'll need to drop the engine out to access? ;-)
    If I remember correctly (no guarantees), the guts are under the passenger front footwell. I still haven't been able to find the battery (which is causing a code drop on my car for emergency reserve battery low) - but supposedly that's in the trunk on the driver side forward of the bracketry for the jack - I don't see anything in there, but that's not saying it's not there.

Either way, I think we may have finally found a maintenance item that doesn't require the autopsy table.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Yes Ross-Tech is the way to go!

Great call, Other_Erik.

Removing this module killed the "Phone" mode that was overriding everything else.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	16226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3868.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	16227

It will be interesting to see what issues are caused by removing this module...you know something unforseen has to be linked, right?

With regards to Ross-Tech VCDS...which (specific) product should I go with?

Great call, Other_Erik.

Removing this module killed the "Phone" mode that was overriding everything else.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	16226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3868.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	16227

It will be interesting to see what issues are caused by removing this module...you know something unforseen has to be linked, right?

With regards to Ross-Tech VCDS...which (specific) product should I go with?
    Glad I could help! Check out Ross-Tech's site for which product - http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merch...&Store_Code=RS

Since it's still fresh in your mind, could you post up directions for how you got to that module and yanked it? I'd like to do the same to mine, if only to get rid of the stupid code it's causing...

As far as what's linked - your Onstar button up next to the sunroof control is linked, as is your radio. There's a step-by-step somewhere for integrating the Bluetooth module in place of OnStar, and reprogramming the buttons to do different functions (red button hang up / dial 911, green button voice dial / answer call, grey button mute/unmute IIRC) Only fun is re-running the microphone cable to somewhere accessible.

Let us know how it comes along!
    O_E

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Glad I could help! Check out Ross-Tech's site for which product - http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merch...&Store_Code=RS

Since it's still fresh in your mind, could you post up directions for how you got to that module and yanked it? I'd like to do the same to mine, if only to get rid of the stupid code it's causing...

As far as what's linked - your Onstar button up next to the sunroof control is linked, as is your radio. There's a step-by-step somewhere for integrating the Bluetooth module in place of OnStar, and reprogramming the buttons to do different functions (red button hang up / dial 911, green button voice dial / answer call, grey button mute/unmute IIRC) Only fun is re-running the microphone cable to somewhere accessible.

Let us know how it comes along!
    O_E
    Removal was literally as simple as removing the passenger side footwell kick panel (in front of door trim)/pulling back carpet. The module was velcroed to the side of the foot well, and disconnecting the cables.

At this current time (CDN dollar is so weak compared to USD), I've decided against purchasing and installing an RNS-E, and will be installing a Pioneer AVIC 2Din head unit with nav/bluetooth and rearview camera. I'll have a professional (i.e. someone far more experienced and qualified than me) do the install and wiring of the microphone etc. There's an issue with one of my speakers that needs to be addressed, and I can't be bothered futzing around trying to figure it out.

Currently resisting the urge to replace all of the speakers with Focals or something equally unnecessary.

Removal was literally as simple as removing the passenger side footwell kick panel (in front of door trim)/pulling back carpet. The module was velcroed to the side of the foot well, and disconnecting the cables.

At this current time (CDN dollar is so weak compared to USD), I've decided against purchasing and installing an RNS-E, and will be installing a Pioneer AVIC 2Din head unit with nav/bluetooth and rearview camera. I'll have a professional (i.e. someone far more experienced and qualified than me) do the install and wiring of the microphone etc. There's an issue with one of my speakers that needs to be addressed, and I can't be bothered futzing around trying to figure it out.

Currently resisting the urge to replace all of the speakers with Focals or something equally unnecessary.
    Good to know! Any chance you can run a scan when you get your VCDS, see if it says anything about emergency reserve battery for the OnStar? I'm thinking the battery is a separate unit from that module you pulled, but can't imagine where they stashed it, guessing they'd want it as close to the module as possible, since it has to supply power in case of airbag deployment auto-call, wouldn't want the off-chance that voltage supply wiring and/or connectors get snipped/smashed in a wreck...

Avoid Focal - B&O all the way. 130dB with zero static/noise is a wonderful thing in a decked out 2011 S5 Prestige (not that I'd do that for long, but when I'm scrolling through music and it happens to play "Queen - I'm in love with my car.ogg" I'm all about cranking it up!

O_E

Who you gonna call? Ghost Busters! Sorry, I had to!
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +

The battery for the Onstar is just below the module. It is wrapped in a nice little foam padded holder and can also just be unplugged and removed. I did the Onstar removal years ago and hooked up the factory Bluetooth so it uses the Onstar speaker and the Onstar GPS antenna lead i the footwell can be stretch (after cutting some of the wrapping tape) up the side of the passenger footwell to the back of the RNS-E unit so you don't need a separate aftermarket antenna.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    The battery for the Onstar is just below the module. It is wrapped in a nice little foam padded holder and can also just be unplugged and removed. I did the Onstar removal years ago and hooked up the factory Bluetooth so it uses the Onstar speaker and the Onstar GPS antenna lead i the footwell can be stretch (after cutting some of the wrapping tape) up the side of the passenger footwell to the back of the RNS-E unit so you don't need a separate aftermarket antenna.
    I can confirm this!

ScottW, is there any water leak from the windshield that would cause other issues?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I can confirm this!

ScottW, is there any water leak from the windshield that would cause other issues?
    Nothing that we've found at this time. I haven't had the car for very long, so we are certainly keeping our eyes open for that as well.

Nothing that we've found at this time. I haven't had the car for very long, so we are certainly keeping our eyes open for that as well.
    Passenger side front foot well where the OnStar battery pack was discovered/removed.
    If your windshield cowling has spent any time in the sun to bake, it can become warped enough to allow H20 to enter.
    My RS6 was a So Cal car it's entire life and then when I moved to the PNW, it wasn't a good thing when there were heavy down pours.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

So there I was, digging under the carpet in the passenger footwell. After running across the TCU box (whoops, too far back under the passenger's feet!), I'm pretty sure I found the Onstar module and battery, tucked away way up behind the glove box I couldn't get the angle to get under the glove box because of my back, had to throw things back together to take the wifey car shopping (still no joy there, either). Anyone else have a piece of what looks like sheet metal holding the onstar unit and battery pack in place? Getting up in there is tough thanks to limited range of movement from breaking a vertebrae and having it fused with above/below... Everything everyone here is talking about seems simple enough until I try to bend myself around the doorsill, seat, glovebox and dash, my back is just not having any of it.

Thanks
    O_E