Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Next project starting sooner than I thought.

Crap, that's some serious work. Glad you can dig in there on your own, saving about $5k in labor I would say.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yeah, Lou. It sure does help. Gotta figure something else out for my valve covers though. Powdercoater here won't do magnesium alloy.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Good luck with the continued progress!- I look forward to reading about you having it fired back up and ripping up smiles. Snap some pics and feed us bears when you get the chance.
    210K miles rolled

A couple pics from yesterday, and my son being the usual ladies man at hooters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	16746   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	174 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	16747   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	194 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	16748  
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Both of the Hooters bars here close up shop and left town this past Spring.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Dude's got game...

Wowza- Nice pics...00
    210K miles rolled

I've had everything pulled apart for over a week, need to get back out there and make some more progress. So I guess I will do the valve covers myself. Also, little man is gonna be a big brother next year. So realistically, I need to have the beast back up by February. So I have time to, well, take my time with the project.

Clogged fuel line? Sounds like loss of fuel to the engine. Either that or somehow lost spark in all cylinders at once?

The belt snapped fairly clean and so far there is very minimal damage. I will know more once I do a seal test on the valves.

Finally ordering valves and chra's, and sending off the tc tomorrow. Will be getting everything back together over the holidays.

Engine will be prepped for black ceramic paint today, and doing the valve covers in red. I need a pn lookup, if anyone can assist. The plastic roller by itself, lower passenger side. The only part number I could find was 077 903 341. Can anyone confirm?

JSRS6, how many hours did it take you to remove the engine (just to that point)? My mechanic is picking at my car in between other jobs, so I have no idea how he is tracking the hours he will be charging me. Perhaps going to the dealership would have been more wise..!
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Sounds like it will be super nice, glad to hear it's moving along!

First time ever working on an RS6 my mechanic took around 30 hours to remove/install. I think he averaged around 20 hours the next few times...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Mike,
    i wish I logged the hours i worked on removing the cosworth. I would assume your mechanic is logging hours just like one would at work. I worked on it a little here and there when I had time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    JSRS6, how many hours did it take you to remove the engine (just to that point)? My mechanic is picking at my car in between other jobs, so I have no idea how he is tracking the hours he will be charging me. Perhaps going to the dealership would have been more wise..!

If it helps, I've had my RS6 engine out a couple of times. Using a lift, dropping the engine and gearbox together, out the bottom, should take about 6 hours or so. This is by myself. with help, should be able to knock a little time off. Now I work with a purpose, (read: fast), so maybe 7-8 hours is reasonable, especially if said mechanic is working by the hour. Should take the same sticking it back in, again, faster and easier with more eyes and hands...Downtime is another story...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    If it helps, I've had my RS6 engine out a couple of times. Using a lift, dropping the engine and gearbox together, out the bottom, should take about 6 hours or so. This is by myself. with help, should be able to knock a little time off. Now I work with a purpose, (read: fast), so maybe 7-8 hours is reasonable, especially if said mechanic is working by the hour. Should take the same sticking it back in, again, faster and easier with more eyes and hands...Downtime is another story...
    THIS.....

Have had the powerplant out of all three of the beasts I've had here at least once, and twice on my daily. You get more refined with it as you perform the work more often, but suffice to say there becomes a threshold that you simply can't be any more efficient performing the work solo. An expeirienced second set of hands will drop the time a nominal 1.5-2 hours possibly, so a good baseline as Mike outlines is a minimum 5-6 hours for 2 and 7-8 for one. There is really no difference taking out to putting back in. Total for Audi experienced tech I do believe quotes in at 14-16hrs for R&R alone. Add time for whatever other work is being performed on top of that.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Good luck and I hope you have it terrorizing the streets soon!

OT- Threadjack- I had my hands inside the heart of a few 996 motors a couple weeks ago. This was a class put on by Jake Raby and Flat Six Innovations. 4 days of man cave fun!

210K miles rolled