Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next project starting sooner than I thought.

It was the TB. It was a clean break and everything spins freely. I don't have a timing belt tool or pin. Was wondering if anybody would let me borrow theirs?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

As soon as I get the cams off and the heads off, I'll know if there was any damage.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yuckeroo.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

My S6 had a clean break way back when. 12 valves needed straightening.
    www.advancedautomotion.com

I've got both tools but I am up on Wa state. The Pin would be cheap to ship but the tool would cost a bit. Sorry to hear the news.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Yeah...that's not good...bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    It was the TB. It was a clean break and everything spins freely. I don't have a timing belt tool or pin. Was wondering if anybody would let me borrow theirs?
    Bummer. Were you higher up in miles on the belt? Brand? Seems rare for these belts to break, maybe a defect in the belt. There has been some chatter of people running 10-20k miles over the recommended 35k mile interval...I won't be trying that.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    $40-50 online plus shipping.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Oof, that blows. Hope it doesn't need too much valve work
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

It must have been a defect in the belt. As I've said before Audi was running a 70~75K change interval on the 4.2 40V A8/S8's with the exact same belt and never a problem. I would expect the S8 would have slightly higher valve lift which would put more strain on the belt than ours?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I went ahead and made one.i didn't want to wait. Pretty damn easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    $40-50 online plus shipping.

Will know in a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Oof, that blows. Hope it doesn't need too much valve work

Well it won't be an issue this time. Going to use gates belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    It must have been a defect in the belt. As I've said before Audi was running a 70~75K change interval on the 4.2 40V A8/S8's with the exact same belt and never a problem. I would expect the S8 would have slightly higher valve lift which would put more strain on the belt than ours?

Things are coming along. I didn't have a lot of the tools anymore to do what i want to do with the car, so we went to Harbor Freight today and got a cherry picker, engine stand, new low pro jack, 21gal compressor, stool, air tools, hose, impact wrench and new torque wrench. So i should have the engine/trans assembly out this week. Ordering parts this week as well. Im pretty excited.

Garage is finally ready to go. Should start removal tomorrow.

Removal and teardown complete. Have the block and trans separated and block on engine stand. heads are off. valves look fine. both rear pistons got hit lightly though. gonna smooth those out and clean everything else up. got a full set of gaskets for basically everything. sending off TC to Ace and new CHRA's soon as well. looking into re-coring the intercoolers myself, or cleaning these up and re-welding them. will post pics later.

If the "pistons got hit", it is a high probability that the value has been tweaked. Please please please tell me you're going to take the heads to a qualified engine machine shop and have them confirm that the values all seat correctly. You will hate yourself if you do all this work and find out you have some leak down. Valves can "look fine", yet be a few thousands out of plumb and you will quickly find that cylinder with lower compression as a result.

Sorry I didn't elaborate man. I will be doing a valve check next time I get out there.