Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So it has begun.

These are supposed to be way more efficient and less heat soak. I think there will be no problem fitting them as I'm removing the warm weather package, and all associated hoses as I saw in one of stevekens posts.

I have been trying to post progress pics as I go....and I do have a better camera but I've actually taken these with my iphone and they turn out pretty damn good. Only issue is I can't upload larger than 2mb so I usually have to resize and reformat to gif. Want other pics would you like to see?

add the photobucket app to your phone, upload them to that and just attach the image link. although i still have to resize them so i just wait until i'm on the computer to do it.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Following.
    From "Audi c5 group"

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    These are supposed to be way more efficient and less heat soak. I think there will be no problem fitting them as I'm removing the warm weather package, and all associated hoses as I saw in one of stevekens posts.

I have been trying to post progress pics as I go....and I do have a better camera but I've actually taken these with my iphone and they turn out pretty damn good. Only issue is I can't upload larger than 2mb so I usually have to resize and reformat to gif. Want other pics would you like to see?
    I was just kidding.

Great project.
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

more updates. still moving ahead as parts continue to arrive. In case anyone ever wondered about it, you can save yourself approximately $300 on the rear main seal. When I first searched I found that one could only purchase the entire rear aluminum flange along with the actual rubber seal. Out of curiosity I pulled out a micrometer and found the dimensions identical to the 2.7t rear main seal. Fits like a charm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5589.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	16434

Cleaned up the wonderful aluminum front subframe:

before

Name:	IMG_5570.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	16435
    After

Name:	IMG_5584.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	16436

Pedals and clutch master cylinder installed and set. Pulled driveshaft, cleaned and prepped 6mt driveshaft for installation. If the bearings fall out..it's a pain in the ass to get them back properly and grease on EVERYTHING! Cleaned it all up with WD40 and will repack with new cv grease.

Name:	IMG_5576.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	16437

Going to get the front rotors turned. Blasted centers and high temp paint. the face of the rotors look pretty rough. If they say can't be turned, I guess I'll have to spring for new rotors. Will do new pads for sure.

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	16438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5575.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	16439

Nice! Let me know when you're done so I can buy it...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

One thing's for sure; No stone left unturned on this bad boy. I like it clean and pay attention to detail. If something is missed and I'm pulling the engine again I have only one person to blame.

Rear main seal done, flywheel mounted, adapter, starter and clutch next!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	16442

Didn't see it covered but which Clutch are you going with and what tune? I haven't decided on my Clutch yet so I'm taking a poll.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Been having a super tough time deciding. So many mixed reviews. Must be able to handle in excess of the 600 ft/lbs im going to throw at it but at the same time be somewhat drivable. So far, it seems like the built to order southbend stage 4 extreme is the one. Supposedly hold up to 800ftlb but after a hellish break-in be very friendly for daily driving (according to a post I read from an 034 employee in charge of testing these). Downside is it's very expensive as far as clutches are concerned. Probably one of the most expensive for this combo of trans/car

I'm leaning towards the AMD Stage 3plus Clutch kit. Fairly reasonable at $800. Not sure if it is a Clutchmasters or possibly Spec.
    Here's Avus RS6's car on the Dyno at AMD:
    http://www.fastaudi.com/tuning-video...g-street-pull/
    Roy, WA

Rear main seal done, flywheel mounted, adapter, starter and clutch next!
    Looking sharp! Loving the braided line plumbing. One day, when money is no object, will be time for me to grab a crate and replumb with Aeroquip lines. Until then, I'll continue to drool over projects like yours. Can't wait to see the finished product and how big the smile on your face will be the first time you can drop the hammer (AFTER the break-in period, of course!)

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Erik that's all stock stuff haha
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Erik that's all stock stuff haha
    Too used to seeing front/top of engine, where all the tubing is rubber (and I'm just waiting for it to rot) :| Guess it makes sense, given the ridiculous heat cycling that gets done that far back in the bay.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Been having a super tough time deciding. So many mixed reviews. Must be able to handle in excess of the 600 ft/lbs im going to throw at it but at the same time be somewhat drivable. So far, it seems like the built to order southbend stage 4 extreme is the one. Supposedly hold up to 800ftlb but after a hellish break-in be very friendly for daily driving (according to a post I read from an 034 employee in charge of testing these). Downside is it's very expensive as far as clutches are concerned. Probably one of the most expensive for this combo of trans/car
    Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the AMD Stage 3plus Clutch kit. Fairly reasonable at $800. Not sure if it is a Clutchmasters or possibly Spec.
    Here's Avus RS6's car on the Dyno at AMD:
    http://www.fastaudi.com/tuning-video...g-street-pull/
    I'm in the same boat. Here's all the info I've collected over the last few days.

I'm still leaning towards AMD but split between Stage 3 and Stage 3+. Am I willing to sacrifice a little longevity and possible on/off engagement for more holding power. I don't see much track time but I tend to be an aggressive driver in this car. A meth kit is still on my to-do list after the 6-speed swap so I have to take that into account also.

Keep the updates coming!!! You guys are slightly ahead of me in this project and all the detail helps with pre-planning.

Description Model Rating MSRP Cost Source Notes
    South Bend Stage 4+ xtreme KF70286F-SS-X (comes with flywheel?) 600 (from 034motorsport store) kevin(crank 520bhp/530lb-ft)
    SteveKen?
    N_Stamp (only 5k miles?)
    716YETI
    Korben007?
    Spec Stage 3+ SA863F 689 899.1 899.1 ebay ~1000 mile break-in
    ttboost(450-480awhp/550-580awtq holds strong)
    RAUDI
    Zmey
    AMD Stage 3 725 799.95 799.95 fastaudi.com Organic

P1054(460awhp/530awtq reports a little chatter)
    AMD Stage 3+ 825 799.95 799.95 fastaudi.com Ceramic
    AMD/Clutchmasters stage 4 850 799.95 799.95 fastaudi.com Avus-RS6(515awhp/635awtq)
    Clutchmaster FX400 8 puck FX400: 02029-HDCL 799 719.1 ebay street; don't think anyone is actually running the FX400 just saw it referenced
    Clutchmaster FX400 6 puck FX400: 02029-HDC6 575??? 799 719.1 ebay street/race more aggressive
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I've read 034's review of the southbend s4 extreme and he gave it very good reviews. What I was surprised to see was it's holding power in addition to it's supposed drivability after break in.

with the power/torque I'm hoping to make (close to if not over 600 tq to the wheels), anything with stage 3 or 3+ in the title ( I was told) will not hold with the monster torque of this engine. I even witnessed a video of one of these clutches slipping at highway speeds on an rs at slightly more than stage 1 power. I'm going to be on larger injectors, larger turbos, fully open dp's, larger intercoolers, larger fuel pump, and meth injection. I was told the turbos in addition to the timing available as a result of the meth and ic's, that it will be no problem making 600. The thought of a clutch slipping makes me feel nervous just thinking about it. Having to pull the engine again before I even really get to drive the thing for a bit.

I had a brand new clutchmasters fx400 six puck in the garage waiting to go into my 600 hp (not torque mind you) 2.7t (that went out the window as soon as I picked up this rs), and my expert friend said this torque of this built rs would eat that clutch for lunch.

SO...that's led me to either AMD's max clutch which was a stage 4 OR the southbend stage 4 extreme. I've left it up to my friend to decide as he's building one at the same time. I believe he's chosen the southbend....which was actually my 1st choice after reading the 034 review.

I'd go with something in the 800hp range an over build it lol

bethridg, good breakdown of the Clutches. I think the FX400 would be plenty for a stock or Stage 1 chipped RS6 but anymore than that and.... I'm bumping up the Boost a little with the AMD over the Eurocharged I'm running plus I have bigger Intercoolers and reworked Turbos (scroll) that have Boosted to 23psi (unhooked pressure control line) before I went into Limp mode. I'll probably not run over 18psi but I may also go to a Water/Meth injection by AMD. I've seen the way they plumbed it into Avus RS6's car (the one in the Video on the Dyno) and the install was nice and unobtrusive.
    Roy, WA