Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koni dampers on sale

Koni dampers on sale

Apparently Koni is having their yearly "shock value" sale, so I figure now might be as good a time as any to ditch the DRC system and refresh my tired front shocks; the car has been crashing over bumps after this wonderful winter and all it's lovely potholes and frost heaves. Just to clarify, I would be ordering the A6 4.2 sport suspension shocks, PN's: 82-2488SPORT and 82-2516SPORT. Is that correct? If so, that's $566 shipped for a set of four; pretty damn good!

Should I grab a set of H&R sport springs while I'm at it? I'll be ordering 034Motorsport's density line upper strut mounts and control arm kit as well. I'd like to do sway bars but that might be breaking the bank...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Apparently Koni is having their yearly "shock value" sale, so I figure now might be as good a time as any to ditch the DRC system and refresh my tired front shocks; the car has been crashing over bumps after this wonderful winter and all it's lovely potholes and frost heaves. Just to clarify, I would be ordering the A6 4.2 sport suspension shocks, PN's: 82-2488SPORT and 82-2516SPORT. Is that correct?
    No. You don't have the correct rear dampers. I've seen the pair you list for sale on ePay lots of time for under $550.00, but that listing doesn't have the 82-2526SPORT rear dampers. It's an additional $150 skins for the SPORT rear dampers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191465700279...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Post a link to the site that is selling for that price please.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; March 2nd, 2015 at 20:18.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

From 4.2Crew's thread, the part numbers he used were:

Front: 82-2516sport
    Rear: 82-2526sport

Edit: tirerack.com has these for $572 with free shipping right now.

Edit2: this place has them for $538.74 free shipping: http://thmotorsports.com
    Last edited by mrdave; March 2nd, 2015 at 20:34.

Love my Koni Yellow Sports, but sure would be nice to dial in that low with H&R's...Koni on soft are about stock firmness, my worry was H&R might be a bit firm. And I feel the stock springs are very good.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I agree with lswing on this

Stock springs and Koni's result in excellent stance correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Apparently Koni is having their yearly "shock value" sale, so I figure now might be as good a time as any to ditch the DRC system and refresh my tired front shocks; the car has been crashing over bumps after this wonderful winter and all it's lovely potholes and frost heaves. Just to clarify, I would be ordering the A6 4.2 sport suspension shocks, PN's: 82-2488SPORT and 82-2516SPORT. Is that correct? If so, that's $566 shipped for a set of four; pretty damn good!

Should I grab a set of H&R sport springs while I'm at it? I'll be ordering 034Motorsport's density line upper strut mounts and control arm kit as well. I'd like to do sway bars but that might be breaking the bank...

Aright, I'm happy to skip the springs. Thanks mrdave for posting the link! Can't wait for my car to be riding like a proper German machine again; now if if could just be spring and all these potholes filled!

This is interesting! I regularly see people falling out of love with the coil overs - too low, too hard, saggy etc - but I'm yet to see anyone criticise Koni with stock springs. Has anyone got anything negative to say about this set up, compared to the other coil over options, or is this rapidly become the "must have" conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by MattYorke View Post
    This is interesting! I regularly see people falling out of love with the coil overs - too low, too hard, saggy etc - but I'm yet to see anyone criticise Koni with stock springs. Has anyone got anything negative to say about this set up, compared to the other coil over options, or is this rapidly become the "must have" conversion?
    Height isn't perfect, very close and good though. It's a very solid handling and looking setup for low $.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I think a lot of people underestimate the value of a quality shock/spring combo. My friend went from TEIN Flex coilovers in his WRX STi to a nice set of STi springs and Feal struts after blowing a damper in his coil-overs twice. For a mostly street-driven car, usually most coil-overs (unless you're spending north of $3,000) aren't going to be as comfortable as shocks/springs. I plan to turn my MR2 into a track-only car, so the now-seemingly-harsh coil-overs will probably be adequate or even not stiff enough. My BRZ rides on stock dampers with Eibach springs and is admittedly over-sprung and under-damped so I plan to address that in the future.

I'm happy with the front ride height of the RS6 but want to lower the back to level it off, although if I keep her she's getting RS4 wheels so I might want to go lower... I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Height isn't perfect, very close and good though. It's a very solid handling and looking setup for low $.
    I actually think the height is perfect with the rear Koni's at the lowest setting------for both the stock wheel geometry AND a 19x9.5 wheel geometry. But hey, to each their own. Additionally, after living with the Koni/stock spring set-up for 3+ years (and 52k miles), I have a few long-term observations:

1) In colder climates, like MN, where it's been stupid fuk'n cold the last 2 Winters, the Koni's are a bit firmer at temps below 20F than the stock DRC set-up.... BTW, at -31F, the Koni suspension essentially becomes a "hardtail!" (Motorcycle terminology.)

2) Keep your receipt for the Koni's... They have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. I had both the rear's replaced under warranty due to a faulty foot valve on just one. ....Labor, of course, is not included.

3) In my opinion, this is the most robust, cost effective and simplest upgrade to mitigate the shortfalls of the 13yr old problematic DRC system. ...Again, just my opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	16097

Name:	067.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	16098
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Damn, Crew. That is perfect. I think you just sold me on the Konis to go with my new wheel spacers.

1/8" lower in front please

Thanks for the details and getting all this started 4.2!

Yeah, just a slight bit lower in the front and that would be perfect. I'd be happy the way it is; anything is better than the 70's drag racer stance I've got right now...

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Damn, Crew. That is perfect. I think you just sold me on the Konis to go with my new wheel spacers.
    I think you'll like the spacers, Dave!... Here's a side-shot of the wheel/fender "flushness" with the Koni's:

Name:	0622121758_.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	16099
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

I had my konis set on "lowest" as well. Felt a bit too low in the rear for my taste, plus rubbed a bit on drive shafts when going over harsh bumps with people in the rear seat.
    I think that leaving them on "mid" should bring perfect "level" stance.

I think it would be to high in rear when empty if you weren't sitting on lowest perch. I'm low on rear setting, and it seems to have good spacing, but I never load up the back. Fronts are static, no height adjust. It seems those rear perch mounts were at least 1/4" to 1/2" apart? Depends on how often you have the back loaded up I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    I had my konis set on "lowest" as well. Felt a bit too low in the rear for my taste, plus rubbed a bit on drive shafts when going over harsh bumps with people in the rear seat.
    I think that leaving them on "mid" should bring perfect "level" stance.
    You are using the same Koni Yellow Sport just to be sure? And confirmed part # as there is a Koni Yellow that's not quite as strong.

Crew- the pic of your RS with the VMR's ...= spot on !

Judging ride dynamics is tough because we all know it's both subjective and circumstantial . One's impression of firm might be another's idea of comfort mode. Your roads that you daily should somewhat dictate your setup choice because in the end you're not going to love your car if it handles poorly regardless of hp.

I've decided to order the Koni's as well to pair with the oem springs.

I know that " hard tail" feel as well ... I have Stasis StreetSport coilovers on my S4 and if its less than 25F out it feels like a skateboard.
    2016 Porsche GT4- 918 buckets- Track Toy
    2014 Porche Cayenne S- Sport Chrono-Sport exhaust- 2015 E63 S AMG- Ténorise Gray-Black Nappa-