Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: tcu replaced, think transmission is shot

I've said this before on another thread - if you got the car for under 15K, you can presume it requires 'something' or has a salvage title. If you got it for under 12K, you can presume it needs something major. This isn't guesswork. It's the facts. I hear the pain in your posts, but a car like this should NEVER be purchased without having an authorized mechanic - or someone with significant mechanical experience - review the car in detail and also drive the car. In fact that can be said for ANY car purchase - not just the RS6.

As for parting it out - BLASPHEMY! It's simply senseless to do such when a repair can make it near new. I have a car here with double that mileage and I could have parted it out simply because it had a bad turbo and other small odds and sods, but I elected to bite the bullet and put in the parts necessary to ensure the 1 of 860 survives. Lots of other examples that have met their fate due to accidents - no need to add another simply because you don't deem it worthy of your money. Sell it to someone who will keep it going.

Oh - and if it hasn't been said enough already above - DON'T bastardize the car with the piddly 2.7 just because. All of the Audi powerplants can be built to make more power. Buildingn a 2.7 isn't going to have any less problems than a 4.2. You limitation on the extent of your build is $$ and limited space in certain areas in the C5 chassis. You will also find that irrespective of how much $$ you put in to a 2.7 engine, you will have killed all resale value of the car. If you want to do this, go blow your wad on an A6 or S6 and bolt on some cosmetic bumpers, seats, and the like. Then you might actually recognize some of your work. You will get bent over doing what you're suggesting to an RS6.

Just sayin.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I've said this before on another thread - if you got the car for under 15K, you can presume it requires 'something' or has a salvage title. If you got it for under 12K, you can presume it needs something major. This isn't guesswork. It's the facts. I hear the pain in your posts, but a car like this should NEVER be purchased without having an authorized mechanic - or someone with significant mechanical experience - review the car in detail and also drive the car. In fact that can be said for ANY car purchase - not just the RS6.

As for parting it out - BLASPHEMY! It's simply senseless to do such when a repair can make it near new. I have a car here with double that mileage and I could have parted it out simply because it had a bad turbo and other small odds and sods, but I elected to bite the bullet and put in the parts necessary to ensure the 1 of 860 survives. Lots of other examples that have met their fate due to accidents - no need to add another simply because you don't deem it worthy of your money. Sell it to someone who will keep it going.

Oh - and if it hasn't been said enough already above - DON'T bastardize the car with the piddly 2.7 just because. All of the Audi powerplants can be built to make more power. Buildingn a 2.7 isn't going to have any less problems than a 4.2. You limitation on the extent of your build is $$ and limited space in certain areas in the C5 chassis. You will also find that irrespective of how much $$ you put in to a 2.7 engine, you will have killed all resale value of the car. If you want to do this, go blow your wad on an A6 or S6 and bolt on some cosmetic bumpers, seats, and the like. Then you might actually recognize some of your work. You will get bent over doing what you're suggesting to an RS6.

Just sayin.
    Hahaha! I knew that was coming and completely agree. That being said...
    I was weighing all MY options. Clean title, fair mileage at 119, and I love the color combo of blue mugello and the light gray interior. I have two other a6's - a 4.2 and a 2.7, and a fully built 2.7 on the bench. The reason I am having such a hard time with this is not because of the money involved but how much better i like the rs than the other two. I have decided to sell the other two cars, and the built 2.7 engine (presuming they will actually sell for a reasonable price), and go all in with this rs. Proof? Here's the start of my sales: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/4916366698.html I am keeping the RS6 because I love this car and decided to spend the money and time to make it work for me. I will do the 01e swap, upgrade the turbos, and all maintenance while the engine is out. Hopefully these items will keep it on the road relatively pain-free for a while.

What it boils down to is the option I decide with my money and my car. I have always loved these cars but no matter what, I was going to do what made sense to me, not a bunch of people I don't know - no matter how much they did or did not like my decision. Nevertheless, I think my current path will please most of the members of the forum since I am not doing anything but making this RS6 a little better and I appreciate your input. Just makes my final decision that much easier. Keep it and make it better

I say do whatever you want. Best case is you start taking the drivetrain out and find that the problem is a simple fix and you leave it as is.

2.7T, VR6, LS3... Doesn't matter to me as long as you like it.

Its just a 12 year old car as far as I'm concerned.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Nothing beats the sound of a charged v8 IMO. Well, except for maybe a v12 or w16

already started disassembly tonight-service position and pulled the axles bolts while tires still on ground, and removed 6 top coilover bolts. This weekend will hopefully get to remove triple square bolts from two front axles and driveline to rear drive shaft, and get everything else above and below disconnected for the drop. Will remove turbos, have them rebuilt and tuned to get more boost, 550 cc injectors, 2.0 coil packs, motor and trans mounts, fx400 clutch, walbro 450 Lph fuel pump, new fuel filter, all maintenance gaskets seals and sensors, then for aesthetics I'm going to powder the bi pipes, intake, valve covers, and cold sides in white. Having the hotsides and manifolds ceramic coated. Removing sai, open dp's and code out 02's, and a better-than stage one tune. How's that sound? Once engine out and process truly starting I'll start a new thread for the progress

FX400 clutch suggests 2.7T 6MT.

Good luck. I can probably get you in touch with someone that's done it before if you have any questions.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I'd say you are just the kind of owner she was looking for...

Mine is in service position now and managed to get the drivers side valve cover off, but it was just too cold to continue today, so from tomorrow on i'll be tearing into what was a great running car when I picked it up lol. Maintenance life.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    I'd say you are just the kind of owner she was looking for...

Mine is in service position now and managed to get the drivers side valve cover off, but it was just too cold to continue today, so from tomorrow on i'll be tearing into what was a great running car when I picked it up lol. Maintenance life.
    EXACTLY why I quit tonight. Toes numb standing on concrete slab. Suppose to warm up this weekend. Time for progress then.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    FX400 clutch suggests 2.7T 6MT.

Good luck. I can probably get you in touch with someone that's done it before if you have any questions.
    The second I get the engine out, which I'm hoping will be this week sometime, I'll pay you to get the kit ordered. Yes, that fx400 kit with a steel single mass flywheel was for my 2.7 build. If you recommend something else, especially since your kit comes with a flywheel, I can put my clutchmaster kit for sale and order what you think would work best. Keep in mind, I would hopefully like to hold the torque while still keeping as close as possible to a stock feel. Keeping chatter to a minimum and as light a pedal as is possible. My wife will drive this car too.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Is it the input shaft
    Its all you. You can now say, "See, I told you so!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	16132

Winner, winner, chicken dinner....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    Its all you. You can now say, "See, I told you so!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5168.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	16132
    So that goes from trans to TC? Fuzzy pic, is it a clean break, did it just fall out when you separated the TC from trans?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

that looks tiny compared to Crazy's broken input shaft...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    So that goes from trans to TC? Fuzzy pic, is it a clean break, did it just fall out when you separated the TC from trans?
    Sorry. Couldn't get it to focus on foreground. I can get a better pic. It pulled out. Touched it, Knew right away it was broken and pulled right out. Can look down in hole in front of trans and see the other end just as clean a break.
    Last edited by Fastguy; March 17th, 2015 at 03:44. Reason: Punctuation