Thread: R& R the power steering pump on the Beast

R& R the power steering pump on the Beast

OK, so I've been reading up on the posts on the board. I will try the flush first, but if the noise is still there, it seems it may be time to pull and replace the pump. So here is the rub - one of the indy's is telling me like $1350 in labor (like 12 hrs ?) with engine in car and like $150 ish if out of the car. My plan is to have it done a the next t-belt service. Seems with car in the service position, it should be fairly straight forward to get to the pump.

TIA

Car needs to be in service position to remove pump. Need to remove belt and three front bolts from pulley. Then 'hope' pulley isn't seized to shaft of pump. Once that's off, disconnect the input and output hoses, and unbolt pump from bracket that holds pump and AC compressor both. It's NOT 12 hours with the engine in the car. It is however roughly 3-4 by the time you put the front clip in service postion, R&R the pump, and deal with fluids.

Prior to doing all that, ensure your hoses are clamped tight and not letting any air in to the system.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks. That seems more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post

Prior to doing all that, ensure your hoses are clamped tight and not letting any air in to the system.
    +1 to ensuring the hose clamp points are tight... BTW, it may be worth having the power steering system pressure tested for hose leakage (primarily introducing air---usually indicated by foam in the PS reservoir.)

Also, there are 3 bolts holding the power steering pump to the mounting bracket---2 are easily accessible from the front, the third is in the rear and kinda a bitch.

Definitely NOT a 12 hour job---2.5hours max + time to/from service position.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l