Thread: Swap to manual from tiptronic transmission

Swap to manual from tiptronic transmission

Hello all, please inform me on this tendency...now that the beast is coming back from the shop and since it will be opened up from time to time- what are the advantages and preference on the manual vs. tiptronic for the RS6? Is this car too heavy for the swap?

What's the typical cost and scope involved in this???

Thx.

Lots of swaps have been done, 30-40 by now it seems. $8-12k parts and labor. Can withstand more power, easier to fix/work on. Search 6-speed or manual swap using Google and site:rs6.com. Sure others will chime in, I really like to drive paddle shifting autos myself, so nice in traffic and plenty sporty.

Needed; manual trans, clutch, adapter kit from SteveKen or cobble your own, custom tune from AMD or EPL, bit of interior work around shifter.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    Is this car too heavy for the swap?
    The weight and magnitude of power of the car is comparable enough to the donor parts 6MT 2.7T car where you're not going to be destroying gears or snapping axles if this sw what you are referring to.

What's the typical cost and scope involved in this???
    The cost for the manual conversion is $8-10k depending on parts availability, level of transmission gearing/quality and the shop you get to do the conversion.

If you DIY, it's about $2-3k less.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

If this were a Honda or VW forum, we'd all be screaming "GTFO do a search n00b"

Good thing it isn't a Honda or VW forum. But please do a search next time
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Turbowned...this is a discussion forum not a monolog. The site is not limited to egos and searches alone.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Lots of swaps have been done, 30-40 by now it seems.
    That many? I would think the number is more in line with 15-20 max.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Turbowned...this is a discussion forum not a monolog. The site is not limited to egos and searches alone.
    It was meant in jest, my friend; I guess my humor doesn't tickle everyone.

Manual pros: You're driving manual. Reduced weight. Reduced parasitic drivetrain loss. More gears (better gearing?). Marginally improved fuel mileage. More room for larger turbos. Greater capacity to handle power from aforementioned larger turbos. No longer fearing that your 5AT will grenade itself or its torque converter at any given moment.

Manual cons: Expensive. Time consuming/vehicle downtime. No positive effect on resale value. Your significant other may not be able to drive it anymore (this could also be considered a pro, depending on your perspective).
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Please understand that there are numerous discussions on this matter to which numerous long time forum members have discussed ad nausea. It is always a good choice to do a simple search prior hand so as to no be subject to hostility from long time members who are subject to the same questions over and over.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Another one of these....?

No cons if you like burning money. Pros have been mentioned, and I'll add to them the ability to go 200+mph with manual TDI gearing.

The best bet at this point if you want a manual RS6, given the number of sorted swap cars done, is to buy one already done. Even if you have blown up your auto box, I'm pretty sure it's still cheaper to put in another auto box.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    If this were a Honda or VW forum, we'd all be screaming "GTFO do a search n00b"

Good thing it isn't a Honda or VW forum. But please do a search next time
    I thought it would be an A4 or S4 forum is like that...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

We need one of these...if Erik would sticky it I would gladly amend for rs6.com someday. FON F*ck Off n00b

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?t=94654
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

There's a guy on here looking for Calif. 6 sp swaps since he's having trouble in MA getting car inspected and registered due to swap as MA is a CARB clone state. So maybe difficult to do this in Calif.

Korben007 would be the best source of information for this...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide