View Poll Results: What turbo kit are you interested in?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full kit with manual transmission

11 64.71%
  • Stock transmission kit

6 35.29%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000hp c5 rs6

1000hp c5 rs6

I'm going to be doing a full build on our shops RS6. It's going to be a full custom build including turbos, rods, manual transmission and all accompanying components. I've done rough calculations on the turbo's flow charts and to reach 1000HP shouldn't be too tough. My question to everyone is.... If I can make this kit successful and reliable, who would be interested in the kit? I can't give quotes on pricing yet because I need to find out where all the weak links are and know what areas need to be upgraded to have a reliable car. At these HP levels I know that "reliable" is a somewhat loose term but I'd like to make the kit and still be able to have a car that can be driven on the streets and be used for more than just a dyno or track queen. If you own an rs6 and would have interest in a kit, PM me so I can have an idea of if this kit would be worth producing on more than a "one off" basis. I'm also most likely going to produce a kit that can be used with the stock transmission (upgraded stock transmission that is) for those who do not wish to go manual. Make sure to tell me which kit you'd want to go with. Thanks!

Upgraded stock transmission will blow at 5-600 hp/tq from what I've seen. Just seems impossible due to the design of the internals. That along with almost zero space for larger turbos, and increased tightness and heat would just make things worse. I think IPT makes an auto box for $6k that supposidly can take ~700 hp/tq, but I bet it shifts rough as hell, and fairly certain it would still break under aggressive driving, the clutch packs are just so small. There are also all the other driveline components not engineered for 1000hp. Just seems a far stretch that could easily cost $20k+. That said, please document your build!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'm in no position to pony up the cash for such a kit now, but given time, it's something I'd be interested in for sure. The ultimate goal would be to have a 5:1 power-to-weight ratio vehicle (~800hp). If it's doable in the RS6, let's do it!

Otherwise I have to build a 560hp BRZ... Sadly this is likely more cost-effective to do.
    http://hkcarworld.com/news/car-tunin...-photo-gallery
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Thanks for posting up with your thoughts guys! The 1000hp build is definitely not going to be a cheap build. 20k is probably fair to guesstimate but as I stated earlier, I'm not going to post ANY pricing until im deep into the build. For the people that want to keep the auto tranny, I'll do some arithmetic and try to get some rough figures on what the max hp will be for stock location turbos. Going that route will be MUCH cheaper.

Level 10 will build the tranny to hold whatever power you care to make.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    Level 10 will build the tranny to hold whatever power you care to make.
    They've had their problems too, documented by past owners. It comes down to the design of the trans, just too many small breakable pieces. Driving habits are huge too. Driveability starts to decrease with higher vb pressure and increased clutch friction and quantity of plates, gets rough and jumpy the higher hp/tq rating you go. If the clutches don't burn out the driveshaft or misc parts will snap. Now you could go for it, but there will be serious longevity and cost issues.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dead-horse.gif 
Views:	4794 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	15741

Here we go again...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I am building my RS6 right now and we are...(making up numbers here)...shooting for maybe 750-850. I will guarantee you it will be way over 20k in parts lswing.

I don't have the exact cost of each part in front of me but I will list parts we are using.

Custom hybrid turbos....over 5k.
    S8 European 4.2 TT rebuilt block...no adapter kit needed. You have to install steel sleeves.
    Pauter Rods
    J&E pistons 8.5CR
    Ferrera Valves
    Custom ported heads
    Custom valve springs
    Maybe camshafts..
    Wagner intercoolers
    Custom high flow headers in stock configuration
    Obviously custom exhaust
    01E TDI built
    Twin disc to hold 800-1000ftlbs. Over 3K.
    I am doing a custom gear set but that is just icing...
    Upgraded diff front and rear. Not needed..
    Aquamist 100% methanol injection
    034 Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044
    Bosch 044 intank
    Custom fuel injectors
    Vented hood
    Custom tune and dyno time.
    Custom intake and MAFs.

You have to get the intake flowing way more and the exhaust flowing way more.

I am not doing the labor. This is R8 kind of money.....and not a older stock one either. Well, that would include all the extras such as wheels, suspension, mounts and a host of other none essentials. After all of this the car might be able to be sold for 45k maybe. This is totally an irrational, emotional car build. I wouldn't recommend this for the faint of heart....or billfold.

I still am not sure were we end up HP wise. There is a build going on in Germany right now that is shooting for over 900hp and his build is very expensive. He is using stock location for turbos but not stock exhaust manifolds. I decided to not go with the BW EFR 7163 because I didn't want to deal with the custom exhaust manifold headaches....and to just get this thing moving along.

It would be cool to put together a kit but AMD and EPL basically do that....if you can actually get someone to talk to you more than once every 2.5 months. I gave up on that crap....but I digress. They are not getting into the 800-1000hp range though. Not that they couldn't but to go that far you are on another level of cost.

I would say build yourself and car and dial it in and then think about a kit. You might be putting the cart before the horse with serious talk about a kit. A collection of unproven parts does not make a kit. Hope I don't sound like a dick..

I had a 517 built transmission with everything they could throw at it. I was making about 571ftlbs and I felt very disconnected from my power. It was ok but not what I am looking for. I should have done the manual in the first place.

By the way, anyone know what ever happened to Milka's build??
    Last edited by Del Stator; December 15th, 2014 at 06:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    I am building my RS6 right now and we are...(making up numbers here)...shooting for maybe 750-850. I will guarantee you it will be way over 20k in parts lswing.

I don't have the exact cost of each part in front of me but I will list parts we are using.

Custom hybrid turbos....over 5k.
    S8 European 4.2 TT rebuilt block...no adapter kit needed. You have to install steel sleeves.
    Pauter Rods
    J&E pistons 8.5CR
    Ferrera Valves
    Custom ported heads
    Custom valve springs
    Maybe camshafts..
    Wagner intercoolers
    Custom high flow headers in stock configuration
    Obviously custom exhaust
    01E TDI built
    Twin disc to hold 800-1000ftlbs. Over 3K.
    I am doing a custom gear set but that is just icing...
    Upgraded diff front and rear. Not needed..
    Aquamist 100% methanol injection
    034 Surge Tank w/ Bosch 044
    Bosch 044 intank
    Custom fuel injectors
    Vented hood
    Custom tune and dyno time.
    Custom intake and MAFs.

You have to get the intake flowing way more and the exhaust flowing way more.

I am not doing the labor. This is R8 kind of money.....and not a older stock one either. Well, that would include all the extras such as wheels, suspension, mounts and a host of other none essentials. After all of this the car might be able to be sold for 45k maybe. This is totally an irrational, emotional car build. I wouldn't recommend this for the faint of heart....or billfold.

I still am not sure were we end up HP wise. There is a build going on in Germany right now that is shooting for over 900hp and his build is very expensive. He is using stock location for turbos but not stock exhaust manifolds. I decided to not go with the BW EFR 7163 because I didn't want to deal with the custom exhaust manifold headaches....and to just get this thing moving along.

It would be cool to put together a kit but AMD and EPL basically do that....if you can actually get someone to talk to you more than once every 2.5 months. I gave up on that crap....but I digress. They are not getting into the 800-1000hp range though. Not that they couldn't but to go that far you are on another level of cost.

I would say build yourself and car and dial it in and then think about a kit. You might be putting the cart before the horse with serious talk about a kit. A collection of unproven parts does not make a kit. Hope I don't sound like a dick..

I had a 517 built transmission with everything they could throw at it. I was making about 571ftlbs and I felt very disconnected from my power. It was ok but not what I am looking for. I should have done the manual in the first place.

By the way, anyone know what ever happened to Milka's build??

No, I don't agree with you, I'm not putting the cart before the horse. I needed to find out how many people would have an interest in a kit so that way I know whether to build jigs for the exhaust manifolds, whether to build stock location manifolds, whether to chart every expense and labor hour and whether to talk to the vendors to see what type of discounts I can get if ordering more than parts for just one car. There's not many of these cars out there in the US but I figured there had to be a few people that didn't want to buy loba's over priced stuff and also a few people that wanted more HP than stock location turbos would give you. For the people that want stock location turbos I'm going to build a set of manifolds and try to see what turbo's can be fit in with the stock tranny. There's already one great solution from silly rabbit motorsports. K24 wheels in the stock turbos. They're getting very close to having actual HP gain numbers from their turbos. If I can't find a good solution for stock location turbos I'm just going to refer everyone that wants to keep their stock tranny to SRM and let SRM build their turbo's for them. I'm hoping I can make a setup work that allows for bigger turbo's though. I know not everyone can afford the downtime required to do a custom build nor does everyone have the tools, friends, knowledge or access to a good local shop that is willing to do a custom build. I work VERY hard to have happy customers and I guarantee you that when this ends up coming together, you won't have to try to call me for months on end without a call back to get support. My shop phone number is also my cell so I'm always available. I'm even guilty of taking phone calls at 10 oclock at night to help customers (the girlfriend doesn't like that too much though). Being that I'm doing this to our shop car and don't have a big financier funding it, the build isn't going to come together over night. I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress. I just got an 01e core that is going to be rebuilt and put in the car. The guy that builds one of the 01e conversion kit's said that his flywheel that he offers with the kit will not work with a clutch that's capable of holding tq #'s near the 1000 mark. So I'm going to have to figure out a solution for that too.

I'd suggest looking up Haydn at HT Motorworks. He's on here, too.

As I recall, he built a 1K HP powerplant using the RS6 long block with EFR 600 turbos for a C7 RS4 using my kit with a custom flywheel & tilton flywheel setup.

http://www.htmotorworks.com/#!project-rs-x/c1vrn

The turbos were not in the stock location, though.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Too soon to call this one. The horse may have a heartbeat.

[QUOTE

=Bigglezworth;269589]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dead-horse.gif 
Views:	4794 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	15741

Here we go again...[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post

As I recall, he built a 1K HP powerplant using the RS6 long block with EFR 600 turbos for a C7 RS4 using my kit with a custom flywheel & tilton flywheel setup.

That is a gorgeous build!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post

This is the company that did the "RSS6" Judas (RS6 with blown motor and shoved a LS Chevy motor in there until it caught on fire in a parking lot)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I would fully expect a 1,000hp RS6 to cost north of $20k to build. I had just spent about $10k to get 330bhp out of my BRZ. Add das German car tax, transmission conversion, and double the number of compressors, intercoolers, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, etc. and there's no way I could see it costing less than $20k.

It's gonna be hard to pony up that much interest considering how few of our cars are out there and make it profitable; hence why nothing has really been offered before. I want to see it happen, don't get me wrong, but you'd likely have a better chance of offering a twin turbo kit for a Gallardo or Huracan than our RS6. Surely I'd love to be able to call you up in a couple years and buy one, assuming I haven't gotten bored with the RS and gotten something else like I have a bad tendency to do with cars every year or two... also assuming I still don't care to have a mortgage at that point...
    Last edited by Turbowned; December 16th, 2014 at 00:55.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I would buy headers tomorrow with stock location mounting points if they were available and flowed well.

I am sending my exhaust manifolds to a guy in North Carolina that has a $350k header making machine. He works with top racing teams and engine builders all over the world for every kind of racing you can think of. I have not spoken to him personally but will soon. I have a referral from Lee Swartz from NC (The Professor) who is building my heads. I am just going to send the exhaust manifolds to this guy and say make them flow. When I get them back I can send you pictures....unless I hear they are something silly in price. I hear they are works of art. The machine rolls, bend and welds the entire header. Sounds pretty interesting..

When I say AMD and EPL already have kits. I don't really mean in a kit per sa. Put they have all of the pieces to do one. AMD has the Tial set up. I know I have read somewhere that EPL has a custom MAF kit. I don't know much more than that.

I have been more concerned about intake flow than turbos. I haven't actually seen the EPL MAF kit. I don't know if it uses the stock box or not. I don't think the stock box is going to get me where I want to be even if bigger MAFs were installed....but I am ignorant to this. I am also moving back to Arkansas so every single thing that can be removed from emissions are being pulled!!!!!!!

I'm working with Simon Sharp at TTE for some pretty amazing and over priced turbos. I am not really saving money by not going custom configuration headers and EFRs but I am saving PITA time by just getting stock location headers made. Will kind of be a wash money wise. They are a step above in HP than what they have on their website. Simon worked and learned a lot at Loba and is working with TTE (The Turbo Engineers). He seems to have a passion for the RS6 of all generations. But stuff isn't cheap.

It is good to here someone can actually talk to you. I know these other guys are in high demand and running thin but it has been absolutely absurd trying to communicate.

Keep us informed!!
    Last edited by Del Stator; December 16th, 2014 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    I am building my RS6 right now and we are...(making up numbers here)...shooting for maybe 750-850.

Ferrera Valves
    Custom ported heads
    Custom valve springs
    Maybe camshafts..
    Hi

Where is it you need to install the steel sleeves ?

I hope you will use the S8 cylinder heads, they have larger exhaust ducts and bigger seat rings
    and why not also use the S8 camshafts? they have much more lift on the S8 intake cams than the what RS6 have.
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Quote Originally Posted by RS8 View Post
    Why not also use the S8 camshafts? they have much more lift on the S8 intake cams than the what RS6 have.
    Although additional lift can't hurt, it's the duration and overlap of the cams that is more important on a forced induction engine.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

No I'm not R8dream.
    You do not need to drill and assemble steel liner in block for just 1000hp!? maybe if you go beyond 2000hp

It is not only more lift, S8 cams have also more duration.

I have two RS6 BCY engines and one A8 40v engine disassembled so I now the real difference!

RS6 have 3mm smaller exhaust valves than A8/S8, so if you buy supertech valves AEVI-1206S
    http://supertechperformance.com/cat-...ca=418&en=5803
    they will not fit in RS6 head because they are 4mm bigger!! and not 1mm that it says on the web site because 1mm bigger is if you have A8/S8 heads.

And yes I have bought this supertech valves and have ported my A8 heads and installed the supertech valves in it but I have not built up the whole engine yet.

I run so far on a standard RS6 engine, but with the A8 cams and bigger turbos, exhaust manifolds and other stuff in my S8/RS8
    Last edited by RS8; December 18th, 2014 at 20:27.
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8