Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 RS6 water damage - Northern California

2003 RS6 water damage - Northern California

Hello All, Electronic Control Module ECM on 2003 RS6 has just failed and taken out ABS/ Vacuum pump with it- has this ever happened to anyone? This occurred on a heavy rain day in Northern California- tech. and inspectors are not certain if module had water intrusion or simply failed- very odd? Look of harness and module connections indicate minimal green corrosion (not too bad) apparently considered normal? Not sure if water had been intruding the seal boot all along or this happened all at one time with massive amount of rain and puddles while car was in operation.

Any info. can help. Thx.

Well I've not heard of ECM having wager damage, at least not without severe water damage. But I fell victim to water leaking inside my RS6 and getting the TCM wet. It is located under the passenger carpet.

I'd be a little suspicious about it, especially without any other signs of water damage.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Green on the connectors is not normal. I live up here in Washington state and we have our share of moisture and it doesn't happen. There was a recall for checking the cowl drains as they can plug and the water can fill up and leak into the ECU area as well as through any grommet seal and into the interior. The ECU is sealed in the plastic box pretty well but if the cowl area flooded who knows what could happen.
    https://wateringresssettlement.com/A.../Overview.aspx
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Very helpful thanks. I will send image of module and you can clearly see green corrosive sections? The drains are clear and where clear at time of vehicle stopped. No further water evidence anywhere else whatsoever? Fidelity extended warranty does not want to cover this repair and is stating that it is wear and tear due to corrosion. The dilemma is that with no other water damage anywhere else in the engine compartment- ECU has somehow fried???
    Last edited by orcars6; December 12th, 2014 at 03:15.

It would take a lot of water filling up the cowl in order for the ECM to get soaked. It's located up high. I would think the water would drain down air inlet for the havoc before it would reach the ECM. But I suppose it's possible. Was this a norcal car it's whole life?
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Yes, local Bay area car since new. Will get image out for view. Still a mystery because again car was no where near deep water or submerged in any fashion. No other areas in compartment show water evidence or damage.

Main fuse is right by the drain under the cowl, passenger side. Mine had heavy green corrosion, but we were able to replace with no issues. Maybe that blew/shorted and caused other issues? Do you know the TCU is not wet also?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This does suck.

WTH Fidelity...cover the damn claim.

I have had to fight tooth and nail over the years with Fidelity and have a perfect record so far..kinda puts a smile on my cheeks. They are jack asses to negotiate with so I dont mind sticking it to them

Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    Very helpful thanks. I will send image of module and you can clearly see green corrosive sections? The drains are clear and where clear at time of vehicle stopped. No further water evidence anywhere else whatsoever? Fidelity extended warranty does not want to cover this repair and is stating that it is wear and tear due to corrosion. The dilemma is that with no other water damage anywhere else in the engine compartment- ECU has somehow fried???

The old green moss on the connectors trick. Gets an exclusion every time

How the hell did water get in there in the first place?? The cover for the ECM is gasketed and designed to well deflect all water that runs down the windshield and below the cowling. Further, if there was the amount of water you are thinking, it would leak out the bottom where the engine harness connects to the interior harness and you'd have wet feet.....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Bigglezworth, this is true...it may well not be water! This is the point of contention and $$$ at this point as Fidelity is in classic denial. I am trying to decipher the problem and reason for failure with my advisor and tech at dealership. No progress as yet! It was a rainy 2 days when this occurred though and we are looking at all evidence- the only visual on the harness and connections points are greenish residue no white oxidation or water marks anywhere...still a mystery!

Up-date, apparently it was not the ECM/ ECU that was wet or even showed any evidence of corrosion or water- it is clean as a whistle w/ harnesses perfectly sealed and clean. It is the ABS harness connection that has green stuff that looks like prolonged water intrusion and perhaps sudden splash of water on extremely rainy days here in NorCal??? The scenario is that the ABS shorted out the ECU??? Is this possible because ECU is fried! Parts ordered from Germany and will be here in 10 days!

I am in norcal. I have a stock ECU with the IMMO disabled so it will work on any car. I could loan it to you for test if you need it. Can also souce one for you for a very low cost
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Generous offer Korben007, let me verify what is needed by tech. at dealership and see if testing with stock ECU at this time is key and if so and you can get it quicker and less cost then I will advise. Thx. Up-date in the AM.

How do you go about disabling the IMMO?

I have an ecu to get back in my project car

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    I am in norcal. I have a stock ECU with the IMMO disabled so it will work on any car. I could loan it to you for test if you need it. Can also souce one for you for a very low cost

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    How do you go about disabling the IMMO?

I have an ecu to get back in my project car

You need to modify the ECU's serial EEPROM. You can do it with specific software through the OBD port or a bench flashing cable with the ECU in boot mode.

I prefer to write directly to the chip with a connection clip and chip flashing device.

There are generic immobilizer off EEPROM files out there that also put XXX's where the VIN is, or you can manually change the immobilizer bits and checksum locations on the existing EEPROM.

Just keep in mind that with IMMO disabled, you can't do any types of cluster swaps.

There are some good resources for this on nefmoto.com
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Fidelity, with some push and shove, has decided to cover the ECM but misc. parts are on me....boo hoo hoo! Still have ABS module/ pump to deal with as a separate issue. Making slow progress thx. Korben007.

You haven't even begun to spend money on this car yet...Welcome to the club...hope you hate your money!!! and yes, I miss my 6speed sometimes....