Thread: DIY Front Rotor Question

DIY Front Rotor Question

I'm going to change my front pads and rotors and was researching the methods to it and I read most people take the caliper off from the allen head bolts (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audibrakes.htm). Do they need to be changed out each time they are removed? If so does anyone know the part number for them?

Thanks!

You don't need to change these bolts. They are not a stretch bolt and although there is certain to be torque value written down in some manual somewhere, I have NEVER torqued a bolt holding on a brake caliper in the 100+ repairs I've done.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; December 5th, 2014 at 15:41.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

^ what he said.

Changed many times here to. Never torqued to a spec if there is one. Never had troubles. A tip for you though: have a small strap ready to hold the caliper after you remove it from the axle. It's big and heavy. Probably shouldn't have that much weight pulling on the brake line. Tie the strap around the control arm to caliper.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

We used a wire coat hanger to support the caliper.

The YellowDog writeup is really good.

Did you FREEZE your rotors?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm installing Audi rotors treated by Frozen rotors they're a pretty good deal at 419 each plus a 10% discount with code fr2010

Quote Originally Posted by 415RS6 View Post
    I'm going to change my front pads and rotors and was researching the methods to it and I read most people take the caliper off from the allen head bolts (http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audibrakes.htm). Do they need to be changed out each time they are removed? If so does anyone know the part number for them?

Thanks!
    That is how I did mine. No, bolts are not TTY. New ones can be purchased at a high end fastener supplier-- maybe $6-8 per bolt?

It is our thought that the OE torque spec on the allen bolts are too low. My race car mechanic friend torques them to 55-60lb/ft (dry) on Porsches and Ferrari's. Either the caliper carrier bracket or caliper to carrier bolts (allen) that mount into aluminum should be torqued with a torque-wrench, unless you are very skilled.

There was prior discussion on this topic a year or two ago, that may have been more detailed-- but that's the gist. A search might find it.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com