Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of Problems

Originally posted by Finnus
    Does it make sense to upgrade? Does anyone have an estimate of the cost to do so?
    I can personally recommend Movit.

I changed my front brakes (A6 2.7T) and it made a HUGE difference. Not so much in stopping power (the tires might be the limit), but the feeling WOW!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Well, I'm finally getting my car back today. They've have it since Monday morning for the problem with the steering column. It turns out that when the steering wheel was retracting into the dash, it was pinching a wire which in turn kept shorting it out. It's always the little things in life.

The dealer said they cleaned my brakes and that there really isn't anything that can be done with the brakes since the squealing doesn't qualify as a problem. Try telling my wife! She hears the squealing before she hears the rumbling from the car.

I've read everything everyone has written, and on one hand I'm glad I'm not the only one with the squealing, but sorry to hear others with the same issue. The problem only happens when going slowly and applying the brakes, as stated above. For the time being, I'll just make sure I slowing down behind a city bus and make everyone think it's them.

I just had my car in for the 5k service with the same brake squeal complaint. I had the brakes checked and cleaned. No problems with the brakes and the noise is gone. I was told that the brakes will make more noise when you stop easier. I've had it back just a week and so far no more noise but time will tell. Stopping ability was not affected with the noise.

Mine has only 500 miles on it, and I have the low mile-an-hour brake sqeal, not annoying at this point and don't think it will be.

I think the stock brakes are pretty impressive, don't know about fade, you guys that have been on the track already will have to let me know whether it's prone to that. For the car's weight its 60 - 0 and the 80 - 0 braking distances are pretty damn impressive! But I suppose once you get used to it one always wants more!! LOL!
    Dark Knight

"See God, then brake."
    - Kevin Schwantz, 500GP World Champion
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    RS6 Goodwood Green
    S4 Triple Black Cab
    350Z Nismo . . . gone
    Boxster . . . gones
    CBR1000F, 900RR, ZX7R, ZX6R, GSX-R600 . . . gone

Dark Night-

I think the problem with the breaks is fluid (boiling temp too low) and cracking pads due to over heating. Atleast that has been my experience so far. Going in Thur for new rotors and pads.
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

I'm still waiting to see if my brakes are quieter. I was supposed to get my car back Friday, but the dealer called at 5pm saying that even though they found the problem with the steering wheel, Audi told them to keep it so they can determine the best method for the repair. :mad: We are now going on two weeks.

One week for them to determine the problem, and another for the repair. Pretty depressing.

Originally posted by Johfra
    One week for them to determine the problem, and another for the repair. Pretty depressing.
    Join the club. I'm in Week 5 of waiting for parts from Germany, i.e. the sophisticated pulley which acts as the engine crank flywheel. My owner's advocate says there is no full complement of parts for the RS6 in the US, which I find to be puzzling and ridiculous at the same time. How could Audi, whether it's Audi of America or Audi AG, think that not having a full parts supply in the US was even an option? Isn't this a major market? Don't they want to sell performance cars here in the future? Don't they realize numerous new performance cars are coming out of Detroit soon, where waiting for parts won't be a problem and formerly-loyal-but-increasingly-frustrated Audiphiles like me will be showing keen interest if Audi doesn't get its parts act together soon -- like yesterday?

Or am I expecting too much? Some have said that Mercedes, too, does not stock all parts in the US for its performance (AMG) cars; does anyone know? What about BMW? Porsche?

My owner's advocate says there is no full complement of parts for the RS6 in the US, which I find to be puzzling and ridiculous at the same time. How could Audi, whether it's Audi of America or Audi AG, think that not having a full parts supply in the US was even an option? Isn't this a major market?
    Sounds like the same problem with a certain world leader and his lack of plans for rebuilding and managing the post-game in an oil ...

Oops. Sorry, I know we're not supposed to get political here. The similarities were too great to resist. LOL

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Finnus, I like your analogy! Almost makes me wish an election was coming up & I'd get to vote for someone who would improve Audi's current parts procedures, since they obviously don't deliver the goods to US customers in a timely manner. Now that Gephardt is out of the Presidential race, d'ya think he'd be interested?!

Seriously, the more I think about it, there IS an election -- every day. It's called the free market, i.e. I can elect to get another car today, tomorrow, whenever. But I'd need to sell the RS6 to do that, and who's gonna buy it while it's undriveable & waiting for parts?

So, I am really stuck, paying over $200 a month to insure a car I can't use, losing another several hundred each month in depreciation, waiting for gas to turn bad from aging in a car that was brought in for bad gas issues, etc. Any suggestions from anyone aside from a lemon lawsuit, which I am beginning to look into? Also, still hoping to find out whether other German automakers keep some parts only in Germany for high performance cars.

Make no mistake, I love my RS6. It's not having it that makes me angry, and having no idea when it'll be done makes me even angrier. Why hang on to an asset that makes you angry?

JAXRS6, Compared to your experience, mine doesn't sound so bad. I picked it up last night (9 days at the dealer) with the steering column problem fixed. I agree that my frustration was with not being able to drive it as well, but I sure racked up a ton of mileage on the A4 rental they gave me.

Although my insurance for the car is less than $100/month, my car payment is quite a bit higher. I asked the dealer about some sort of compensation since I was paying for something that I didn't have, and they told me to contact Audi directly and that they knew other drivers with similar repair lengths had gotten Audi to pick up part or a whole payment depending upon the length of the repair.

I'm calling today to find out. I think it's the main number for Audi. 800-822-2834

It's worth a call.

Parts are in -- HOORAY!!!

Dealer called this morning to say that both the main engine crank pulley (necessary to get the car running again) and a valve (BPV? -- not as critical but still needed) have arrived!!! I hope to pick up the car tomorrow.

Ironically, the dealer's call came less than an hour after I had phoned my attorney about a possible lemon law suit in Michigan. That effort has been called off for now but could come up again. I may start an off topic thread on what I learned about lemon laws, if there isn't one already.

I have a correction and a question. The correction stems from my earlier posts saying I took the car in on 12/22. Well, it was 12/29. I incorrectly recalled that it was the Monday before Christmas, but it was actually the Monday before New Year's. I apologize for the error. So I'm now in my 4th week of being RS6less, not 5th, and 3 of those weeks have been made easier by the dealer providing an ML 350 (Mercedes' compact SUV) as my loaner.

THE QUESTION IS FOR JOHFRA: Where do you insure your RS6 for less than $100/month? I pay $225/mo to Chubb for a $1,000 deductible, probably because I got a minor speeding ticket about two years ago...but sure would be nice to explore a less expensive alternative. At the time of my purchase last August, my existing insurer -- Citzens, which is regional in the upper Midwest -- wouldn't even insure the RS6 because it's such an unusual high-performance vehicle.

JAX you have a PM.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead