Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 6 speed software?

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    I haven't found anyone yet. I'd imagine the Raven car is on a repair plate but I'm trying to get in touch with them. If Cali says it's ok MA will allow it.
    korben007, or something like that, has a 6-speed in CA, maybe he'll chime in sometime, sounds like a good shop he was working with.

Seems like the most reliable is just to send your ECU to AMD in WA and get everything properly sorted, although inspection varies by county there, so maybe they don't have to deal with it.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    korben007, or something like that, has a 6-speed in CA, maybe he'll chime in sometime, sounds like a good shop he was working with.

Seems like the most reliable is just to send your ECU to AMD in WA and get everything properly sorted, although inspection varies by county there, so maybe they don't have to deal with it.
    His, korbens, car is registered in Nevada.The issue is not the software. The software is all sorted out. The problem is a visual inspection has shown that the car is a manual transmission. I can't get the flag lifted because that's how it's in the computer. So anybody else the looks of the car will also see the manual transmission.

And I should clarify…

Originally I thought that the software was the problem. That is why the post is titled as such. Subsequently the state of Massachusetts has told me that the software is fine but the noncertified configuration, the transmission swap, is the problem.

A helpful resource may be NMA (National Motorist Association), they have a lot of legal information. There is a program where the Mass RMV will pull the flag on your car under certain circumstances you may also be able to get a financial hardship pass (because the cost to make the vehicle comply is unreasonable and you cannot afford it) which will lift the flag for a year which at the end of you would have to reapply.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcrc86 View Post
    A helpful resource may be NMA (National Motorist Association), they have a lot of legal information. There is a program where the Mass RMV will pull the flag on your car under certain circumstances you may also be able to get a financial hardship pass (because the cost to make the vehicle comply is unreasonable and you cannot afford it) which will lift the flag for a year which at the end of you would have to reapply.
    they say the hardship won't apply because it's not something that's broken it's something that I tampered with.

they say the hardship won't apply because it's not something that's broken it's something that I tampered with.
    Did the RMV tell you this or the MAC?

Seems like you could argue that a 6-speed was your only option. Realistically it's more reliable and repairable than the auto box. There are plenty of other Audi's and car types that people swap from auto to manual, maybe dig around on Quattroworld or Audizine. Best of luck!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/d...Module%204.pdf
    I cannot find anything that says you can't install a 6 speed, the MAC may be acting in a grey area by denying you because no emissions systems are altered by installing a manual. I mean then is it illegal to change the gearing in an automatic, or to put a different model auto box in the car? I think the term "non certified configuration" was meant more for somebody installing different engines into a vehicle (like putting a V8 into a car that came stock with a four cylinder).And I agree with Iswings above comment. I for example have gone through 2 transmissions in 2.5 years and less than 10,000 miles. Both ZF and Audi do not give adequate warranties for the transmission which is arguably faulty. So what does the state expect me to do, Continue to buy faulty transmissions every few years because the states attorney general has failed to make the manufacturers accountable for putting a transmission that belongs in an X5 in a 450h.p RS6?

http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/d...Module%204.pdf
    Ok here it is! I don't see how that applies at all to your case.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dep/ser...s/310cmr60.pdf
    sorry that last link was incorrect. Here is the DEP rule for no certified configuration.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dep/ser...s/310cmr60.pdf
    sorry that last link was incorrect. Here is the DEP rule for no certified configuration.
    It is also an EPA and CARB rule so technically it applies to all cars in the United States. Of course some states are more diligent about pursuing.

The only restrictions I could find regarding transmissions in that Regulation was regarding kit cars.

And DQ factor for a financial hardship extension is specifically only if the Emission Control System was tampered with. By definition the transmission is not the emission control system.

Tranny is emissions control. It sounds stupid but technically the transmission and the tested transmission program in the car's computer reflects a certified configuration that's been tested by the EPA. If you change a transmission, it changes the RPMs, the load on the engine, etc. In this case we know that it's changed for the better. But barring testing by the EPA this is only hearsay. My theory doesn't mean shit to them.

so then the wheels and rear differentials are also emissions control systems? It would be so convenient to be a lawyer.

so then the wheels and rear differentials are also emissions control systems? It would be so convenient to be a lawyer.
    According to the state of California differentials are in fact considered admissions control devices. I thought the same thing about the wheels.

Well I still have my autocratic so worse comes to worse I'll put it back in to pass inspection lol

Have you read the mass code of regulations on this. Might give you some additional information.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/mas...egulation.html

Look around in the Variance and Appeals sections 310 cmr 7.50-7.52.