Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 6 speed software?

Suggestions for 6 speed software?

My car has been turned down yet again by the state of Massachusetts for an inspection sticker. I was flagged some time ago because my OBDII wouldn't communicate. So I had to go to one of the MA Motorist Assistance Centers instead of a regular inspection station. Got the software fixed and then the readiness monitors were not supported. That is fixed now and they still won't pass me because the guy said "there was stuff there that is not there now". I don't know what the fuck that means. He suggested I take it to Audi for a flash. Anyone have any ideas? Also, if you want it please make me an offer. Don't bother if you live in MA tho.

AMD, in Washington. Not sure if that will get you through inspection but heard nothing but good about their 6-speed tune and work. Maybe just ship them ECU?

Who did your current tune?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

AMD in Woodinville, WA or EPL in CT
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'd try EPL first because they're closest: http://www.eplabs.net/
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    My car has been turned down yet again by the state of Massachusetts for an inspection sticker. I was flagged some time ago because my OBDII wouldn't communicate. So I had to go to one of the MA Motorist Assistance Centers instead of a regular inspection station. Got the software fixed and then the readiness monitors were not supported. That is fixed now and they still won't pass me because the guy said "there was stuff there that is not there now". I don't know what the fuck that means. He suggested I take it to Audi for a flash. Anyone have any ideas? Also, if you want it please make me an offer. Don't bother if you live in MA tho.
    That's frustrating, John. To answer your email of a while back (sorry) - my conversion is still in a holding pattern waiting on more free time on my part.
    I assume your car won't pass inspection with the unmodified ECU with the ABS and TC broken?

For what it's worth (not much) my Miata failed for a loud exhaust in 2011 or 2012 and I've been driving around with an R sticker ever since. I don't put many miles on it though. I'm probably pushing my luck on that one.

You can probably get it to pass with the right ABS module. I had this same issue here in CT with my old car. I had one of the following: either a CEL, with functioning ABS and TC OR NO CEL, but nonfunctioning ABS and TC. It will pass emissions with the latter. After it passed, I put the stock ABS module back in, which got my ABS & TC working, but got my CEL back. As long as you don't have a CEL, I think it should pass. It's pain to code these back and forth, especially if you didn't record what you had to start with.
    2013 Audi S8

It seems now that the state of MA (which now follows CA CARB rules) is trying to figure out if putting a 6 speed in a car that was never sold here with a 6-speed is OK. They are asking the MA DEP to decide. The funny thing is that the 6-speed is lower in emissions and all of the readiness and everything else is 100% working and stock. Stoopid. We'll see if I can make my case. I have spent hours and hours reading Cali CARB rules. Any attorneys here want to volunteer their email address or phone number if I need to bounce some questions off you?

I think if you had not been sent to the MAC they would never have noticed the 6 speed. The states computer will automatically flag you if your readiness monitors have been altered via a tune. As long readiness monitors are unaltered you should pass. Even if you go in with ABS and TC lights on the massachusetts states computer won't fail you, the tech would have to notice and manually fail you. Are you sure it's because its a six speed the computer is flagging you?

Yes. Non certified configuration. The issue is that now Massachusetts scans cars and compares the readings with every other like vehicle in the state that has been through the inspection. They have a vehicle database. So even if your readiness monitors and codes are okay you can pick up on other things like flashes, cleared codes, etc. If he picks up on anything they might flag you. Either way I'm real jammed up right now.
    Last edited by UrS6; December 18th, 2014 at 23:05. Reason: Adding

Hmm this is not good. There must be a way to trick the TCU into thinking the automatic is still functioning

Quote Originally Posted by sbcrc86 View Post
    Hmm this is not good. There must be a way to trick the TCU into thinking the automatic is still functioning
    if only I could trick the MA DEP!

Did you say who tuned this? Couldn't some of the problem just be errors that one of the top 6-speed tuners could clear up? I would think if they're passing in all other states there would be a way. Is it true the Massholes banned happy hour?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

who are the top tuners?

move to RI

Quote Originally Posted by sbcrc86 View Post
    who are the top tuners?
    Listed earlier, both AMD and EPL have perfect records from what I've heard. Multiple 6-speeds in CA also, not sure on their tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Listed earlier, both AMD and EPL have perfect records from what I've heard. Multiple 6-speeds in CA also, not sure on their tunes.
    Who has a 6 speed in California? I'd like to talk to them and see if they had any trouble.

the tune doesn't matter now. The car was flagged for a manual transmission and they are saying you need to change back to an automatic for a sticker

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Who has a 6 speed in California? I'd like to talk to them and see if they had any trouble.

the tune doesn't matter now. The car was flagged for a manual transmission and they are saying you need to change back to an automatic for a sticker
    It's on the other thread just a few down, 6-speed CA

I haven't found anyone yet. I'd imagine the Raven car is on a repair plate but I'm trying to get in touch with them. If Cali says it's ok MA will allow it.