Thread: Turn Key Manual Transmission Installation

Turn Key Manual Transmission Installation

I have seen mention from time to time in different posts of someone who does manual transmission conversions and maybe the same one offers a complete conversion kit. Anyone have input one either having someone covert the car or a DIY complete kit ?

Even though the auto trans only has 12,000 miles on it I need to give the car some more sport. I purchased it already chipped at 515 but will probably bump it up a bit more. Only a weekend car not a DD so an auto for traffic is not required.

Regards,
    Rick

Define "Turn Key".

Do you mean "Here is my RS6, I will be back with a $8-10K check in 7 days" kinda thing?
    Do you mean "Hey Scotty, I need a diesel O1E and associated equipment and ship it to my house. Hey AMD in Redmond, WA, I need my RS6 ECU tuned for 6 speed and, and, and and ship it next day air back to my house"

Inquiring minds want to know...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

There isn't a '6spd Kit'. There is a '6spd Swap Kit' which includes items such as adapter plate, starter, & custom flywheel. To date all those converting have needed to include their own tranny, axles, drive shaft, shifter linkage, clutch, slave cylinder, brake booster, ECU tune, etc. I believe I saw a post some time back where board member 'SteveKen' would perform the 'swap' for a set price. You can contact him about performing things.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; October 10th, 2014 at 02:31. Reason: Typo
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Ben916, yes to both. If there is someone that can pull together the parts and install them for a for a fee I consider that turn key. If no one is doing that then the next best thing is to have someone assemble a "swap kit" and I would do the install in our shop. I have the capabilities and facility to do the swap. I also understand that someone that has preformed this swap before can move though the job with far greater efficiency. I look to this to be a destination project not a journey project. I have other builds that fall under the "its the journey not the destination" category. Let see how things transpire.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by essexmetal View Post
    Ben916, yes to both. If there is someone that can pull together the parts and install them for a for a fee I consider that turn key. If no one is doing that then the next best thing is to have someone assemble a "swap kit" and I would do the install in our shop. I have the capabilities and facility to do the swap. I also understand that someone that has preformed this swap before can move though the job with far greater efficiency. I look to this to be a destination project not a journey project. I have other builds that fall under the "its the journey not the destination" category. Let see how things transpire.
    Rick
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...light=swap+kit

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22...light=swap+kit

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...light=swap+kit
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

If you have the gift of forethought, and you have EVERYTHING you need to do the swap, it can be done in a weekend. The problem is, you never know what you will find once you start digging in. Mine ended up being about a weekend, a week of nights and another weekend, because I changed my mind about turbos and wastegates, etc...I would plan on not having the car for a week or so, provided you get no big surprises...
    2013 Audi S8

Send it on over to me with $10k deposit.

I'll have it done in 3-4 weeks a refund of up to $2k depending on what incidentals were needed during the install.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide