Thread: I went from timing belt maint to dropping the engine...

I went from timing belt maint to dropping the engine...

It was time for that 90k maintenance, so I brought it to the shop and originally had just planned on doing the reg maint, but something new came up before this. It recently has gotten pretty cold over here in Germany and when I start my car, I hear a whining noise. It stops once it's heated up. Upon starting the job, I decided to drop the engine, because 1. EGT sensors and 2. gasket leaks 3. checked on everything else since I found so many problems, just from starting a timing belt job. The only thing that I haven't order and I'm not quite sure is a problem is the power steering pump (could this be the whining noise?) I'm in the back with the mechanic and he's saying, that it might be the power steering pump that's causing the whining. I have no idea. It could be 100 different things, but some input from the experts here would be greatly appreciated. (o2 sensors are good)

On a side note, I noticed that a lot of random ass screws and nuts are missing from various locations, so I'm having all those replaced, along with some of the wiring and tubing that is showing a lot of fraying. Is there anything else you guys would suggest doing while everything is already dropped and ripped apart? I was thinking of gutting the cats?

Sincerely,

A concerned RS6 citizen
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

The power steering pump can definitely whine. Check the power steering hose that runs the driver side as this would be a good time to replace it while engine out.

Rear main seal- I would replace if it hasn't been done previously
    210K miles rolled

Also check your serpentine belt tensioner.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

already did that and got a new one JSRS6 and MaxRS6 seal is done, but the hose? I looked everywhere online and I've seen that to be a few problems with other cars, but no one for sure talking about it on ours. It could be fluid, foam...anything. I just pray that when everything is done, that it's gone..I use to have a page bookmarked for gutting the cats. Anyone have it by off chance?
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Looking at the PITA $ of another 15-20 hours to change out my cam tensioners, I would consider that. Try and source the part for less than $800, ECS has them listed for $635 each if that is true. See my current thread on the debacle, but with plastic exploding inside the engine I'd be prone to replace these at 90k. I had complete drivers side failure at 98k. She's been driven hard and tuned hot, but still resided in a cool climate at least.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

the whining noise is the steering pump, 99%, it would probably take you over this winter if it goes away once it warms up...EGT's, see a thread here on the forum where it explains how can they be fixed without removing the engine or the EGT itself...

where have you taken the car? typical German mechanics have a very conservative way of doing things, meaning they go by the book and only and when it comes to these cars is good to have an open mind, so get as much info as you can from this forum and guide him through, will save you money and time in the end.

Cam tensioners aren't such a common issue on the RS6 C5, yeah, at the moment lswing has a broken one and I do too, however his car is 90k miles while mine is 147k, so mileage is not and indicator and if you have no noise from them i'd say you're good, of course if an extra $1200 for them isn't a showstopper then go ahead and replace it.

Also use the search feature as there are a few threads, i started one as well, with things to do when engine is being pulled out, who ever has an RS6 C5 had at least 1 engine pull, 1 replaced gearbox, 1 replaced DRC and so on
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

If the whining noise goes away after 30 secs to 1 minute after you start the engine it's probably the SAI which runs until the exhaust warms up. You should be able to feel the big black cylinder vibrating when the SAI is on (it's on the left side as you look into the engine bay).
    Daytona C5 RS6 Avant - MRC Stage 1+ remap, MRC Air Filters, Custom Exhaust (no rear mufflers), Wagner Intercoolers, Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers and H&R Rollbars.

Theh bearing on the idler pulley can whine and sound like a bad pump also....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I do research the forms and I see what everyone else has posted, i just wanted to double check for something new that people might have thought of. Bigglezworth I think you might by right on that one. I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh and about the EGT sensors, I know I've dealt with them for some time. I just don't want to keep erasing the code, or coding them out in my tunes. I've had the sensors forever, just never put them in.