Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's replaced cam adjusters, full engine pull or service position possible?

Who's replaced cam adjusters, full engine pull or service position possible?

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with the replacement, specifically passenger side cam adjuster which is harder to get to. How tough was it to accomplish if possible in service position, 20-30 hours?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Can't be that many hours. Would certainly believe the work can be done from above without having to remove the head itself. Would also believe it could be performed without putting the front clip into service position. So, fighting with the valve cover for a couple of hours as part of the R&R plus time to do the cam work. Skilled mechanic a full day?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Can't be that many hours. Would certainly believe the work can be done from above without having to remove the head itself. Would also believe it could be performed without putting the front clip into service position. So, fighting with the valve cover for a couple of hours as part of the R&R plus time to do the cam work. Skilled mechanic a full day?
    Thanks, I'll ship you my car next time

Confirmed that it should be around 10-15 hours like A6 4.2L, just a few more things to deal with. Correction, it's drivers side so no coolant hose to deal with like on passenger side. Cam adjuster is brutal at $820, yikes. Leaving the other one alone and hoping it lasts a while, or at least until my timing belt is due in 15k....

Anything else we should mess with while the front is open?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

it is $634 on ecstuning, i've looked for it and they have the best price i could find....but i don't think it can be done without service position...the passenger side is a bitch, not sure if engine pull is required, but thank God mine is also driver side....
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

I have 2 perfect cam adjusters from 5 8k mile engine. I would do both with new timing belt

+1- Bite bullet- Do timing job and both.
    210K miles rolled

You guys are killing me (but I appreciate the input)...gonna roll the dice on this one, here's my thinking.

Timing belt was done 17k ago, along with usual parts, not sure of belt brand or upper rollers, but think they got them looking at paperwork.

Shop wants another 3-6 hours to do pass cam adjuster as it requires removing the coolant hose and a few other things.

With my low driving of 3-5k per year it should hold for a while, should, better, hope so, probably will....

Well that was ugly, gory details below. Plastic foot gone and sheared into bits, chain rubbing on metal guide where plastic foot was. Parts of plastic fished out of cylinder head, oy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camTensioner1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	15547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camTensioner2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	15548

Yuck. That will produce some rattling for sure. Yuck
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

At least no major damage and it appears you will have it back up soon- Congrats!
    210K miles rolled

The other side is not far behind

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The other side is not far behind
    Other side getting replaced now too, arghh! Another ~$1,200.

Assuming these are trashed more due to the hot running Revo tune for years. But also at 98,640k miles so she's been around...

you should do an oil change as well as bits of plastic are now floating through the engine....i am not sure if it is the mileage that got them to break down, mine and a friend's of mine are both at around 147k miles still on original cam adjusters, i think it has more to do maybe with oil and running temperatures, as you said...

btw - the guides can be replaced separately, i saw a thread on audizine...

so there is no engine pull for neither of the cams?

Dhall - "I have 2 perfect cam adjusters from 5 8k mile engine. I would do both with new timing belt" - do you wanna sell it? i might be interested.

Drivers side no pull, they had it open and apart in an afternoon. Pass hoping not, they mentioned coolant pipe in the way, few other things. Hoping another 4-6 hours to replace pass side.

From what I saw it's wear on the plastic, heat and stress. Good point on the oil. Well ripping this thing apart every 6 months keeps the oil fresh at least...

That coolant pipe can be bent out of the way.

They should have this in service position with the timing belt off. At least run over there and feel all the rollers. Replace the top 2 just to be safe because your 75k is not clear on replacing those.

Mik....i had no idea these were so $$$. I have to keep them because i own 3 of these contraptions and live in hot AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Drivers side no pull, they had it open and apart in an afternoon. Pass hoping not, they mentioned coolant pipe in the way, few other things. Hoping another 4-6 hours to replace pass side.

From what I saw it's wear on the plastic, heat and stress. Good point on the oil. Well ripping this thing apart every 6 months keeps the oil fresh at least...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Cam adjuster is brutal at $820, yikes.
    $250 skins new....

Half that used....

China pops

No thanks

yeah, but that's China made....wouldn't really want to take a chance with it...don't know what to say about it...