Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough start, flashing CEL, here are the codes...

Rough start, flashing CEL, here are the codes...

Started up after a few days of sitting, get this, low on fuel is the only that I can notice from the outside. Any ideas, should I clear and start again?

Address 01: Engine Labels: 077-907-558-BCY.lbl
    Part No: 4D1 907 558 D
    Component: 4.2l V8/5VT G03 0003
    Coding: 0006752
    Shop #: WSC 00066 444 45211
    VCID: 2F6310F9BD2A496632D-515A

3 Faults Found:
    16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 001 -
    16692 - Cylinder 8
    P0308 - 001 - Misfire Detected
    16690 - Cylinder 6
    P0306 - 001 - Misfire Detected
    Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 4B0-820-043-MY2.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 820 043 AR
    Component: 4B0820043AR A6-Klimavoll
    VCID: 6AD5C1ED1648EC4E253-2586

1 Fault Found:
    01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
    49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

It's been sitting on the trickle charger a lot recently, could this have put too much back into the system? Basically drive around town once a week right now, garage the rest of the time. Smelled a bit funny after startup, exhaust didn't smell right, kinda burnt, for some reason; crappy gas or just whatever collected in bottom of tank not burning as clean?

Fuel filter outside of tank replaced last year.

Found one thread leading to MAF connectors being replaced for the fix.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Added fuel, restarted, serious clicking noise from engine, front area it seems. WTH?

No CEL yet, just let it run for 30 seconds.

It was just fine when I parked last week, been driving hardly at all the last few months.

Edit; It's been clicking lightly on startup for a while now, and maybe when running, never seemed like much though. Been reading some of the threads on Cam Tensioners and such?

recently I had a "cylinder 8 misfire" after car sat for about a week, cleared up after running it for a while.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    recently I had a "cylinder 8 misfire" after car sat for about a week, cleared up after running it for a while.
    Was it clicking there there was a rabid squirrel stuck in there? Seriously been fine and tuned up good from what I can tell. It's still lumpy, but didn't throw a code after a minute of running the second time after adding fuel. The noise is very concerning, something is off...looking around for my list of shops in Austin.

Here's some video/audio....heavy clicking from drivers side.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    The noise is very concerning, something is off...looking around for my list of shops in Austin.
    subsequent to the misfire, dealer had to replace the brake master cylinder. service writer made a comment to me that the tech thought he heard an odd (engine) noise, nothing came of it and the car has been running strong. i'll stick my ear in the engine bay tonite though, and report if i hear anything ...
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

My car did that once and it turned out to be soft set carbon buildup on the intake valves. Poor fuel quality was the cause, I believe. I went out of town for a week and left the car at the airport parking when I got back it started right up but cel flashing and a p0304, p0305 then a random/multiple cylinder p0300 logged. Thought maybe the injectors or coils were the cause initially but swapping them to different cylinders disproved that theory.

I ran a can of seafoam through the brake booster hose into the intake manifold then took to the freeway right after and all was well again.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Here's some video/audio....heavy clicking from drivers side.

sounds like an exhaust leak??

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    My car did that once and it turned out to be soft set carbon buildup on the intake valves. Poor fuel quality was the cause, I believe. I went out of town for a week and left the car at the airport parking when I got back it started right up but cel flashing and a p0304, p0305 then a random/multiple cylinder p0300 logged. Thought maybe the injectors or coils were the cause initially but swapping them to different cylinders disproved that theory.

I ran a can of seafoam through the brake booster hose into the intake manifold then took to the freeway right after and all was well again.
    Intersting, it's been sitting a lot recently, and although 93 octane I've filled at a few random stations.

The ticking seems more of an internal click than a ticking exhaust to me, it's fairly loud.

My cam tension rattle sounded different from your noise. I've had misfire codes in the past that new coil packs resolved. You might change your coil packs around and see if the codes follow the coil pack.

Oil level okay I assume.

Good luck finding an inexpensive resolution.

Less than .03 worth.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    My cam tension rattle sounded different from your noise. I've had misfire codes in the past that new coil packs resolved. You might change your coil packs around and see if the codes follow the coil pack.

Oil level okay I assume.

Good luck finding an inexpensive resolution.

Less than .03 worth.
    Oil level is good. Tried revving it to 2,500 some, didn't hear loud clicking until it settled back down to high idle at ~900.

Maybe unrelated, but pumped brakes twice while car was off and could hear wheezing air, solid pedal with no wheezing on third.

Now no codes or CEL, hmmmm

By inexpensive you mean under $1,000 right?
    Last edited by lswing; September 23rd, 2014 at 01:04.

In my old 'hot rodding' days, that sound signified a blown exhaust manifold gasket or a spark plug that wasn't totally seated. Peel your air cleaner housing off, separate the MAF's from it if you already haven't performed this simple mod, and insert MAF's in to the down pipes all hooked up. Then use an engine stethascope to see if you can pin point the exact location of the noise. If you don't have the scope, use a 3/8"dia hose to your ear. Works well to isolate location. Check your plugs to ensure they are hand torque tight. It's quite noisy 4 feet away, so it should be easy to isolate I would think.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    In my old 'hot rodding' days, that sound signified a blown exhaust manifold gasket or a spark plug that wasn't totally seated. Peel your air cleaner housing off, separate the MAF's from it if you already haven't performed this simple mod, and insert MAF's in to the down pipes all hooked up. Then use an engine stethascope to see if you can pin point the exact location of the noise. If you don't have the scope, use a 3/8"dia hose to your ear. Works well to isolate location. Check your plugs to ensure they are hand torque tight. It's quite noisy 4 feet away, so it should be easy to isolate I would think.
    Thanks Bigglez. Oddly enough I was musing about why I'm smelling more gas/oil in the garage, like the engine is leaking before exhaust. With my screwy back I'm mostly a keyboard mechanic, so I'll add this to the list when she goes in for diagnostic.

Why don't you drive her for a week and beat on her a bit? It's surprising how many problems a car that sits accrues. "Men and ships rot in port.....and RS6's too"

i'd start by checking the spark plugs and coils if they weren't done recently, also check the wiring at the cilinders' coils where the misfiring has been logged, i had a similar issue caused initially by a bad spark plug, then by a loose plug connector and shortly after fixing it the coil died, that took me a week to troubleshoot it as they all came in a row and didn't know exactly where to look for it...

also log the camshaft adjuster measuring blocks in vcds and check if they're both working properly...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Why don't you drive her for a week and beat on her a bit? It's surprising how many problems a car that sits accrues. "Men and ships rot in port.....and RS6's too"
    I've been worried that it's been sitting so much. Driven about 10 miles every 7-10 days for the last 3 months. Basically just hot as hell and I've been working from home, so no real need to put miles on. IF it didn't smell funny then I might do that, but there is an odd burnt oil/unburnt gas smell that just wasn't there before, maybe just imagination....

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    i'd start by checking the spark plugs and coils if they weren't done recently, also check the wiring at the cilinders' coils where the misfiring has been logged, i had a similar issue caused initially by a bad spark plug, then by a loose plug connector and shortly after fixing it the coil died, that took me a week to troubleshoot it as they all came in a row and didn't know exactly where to look for it...

also log the camshaft adjuster measuring blocks in vcds and check if they're both working properly...
    Sounds good. Plugs and packs have been on for xxxx miles, plugs looked good last time checked. Block numbers to log, and can this be done while at idle.

I'm wondering why the hell the code won't pop back up right away, even though it's still rough and noisy; shouldn't a code like misfire show up right away? Possible damage being caused by said misfire?