Thread: 2004 RS6 What should I look for

2004 RS6 What should I look for

I am sending this from western Canada - I currently drive a 2004 S4, and I am in the process of buying a 2004 RS6.
    I read the great stories on this car and the horror stories.
    The car I am looking at had the DRC replaced, the cam belt has been done and the brakes/rotors.

The mileage is under 80K (kms)

I did read yesterday about the temperature levels, that could indicate problems with the torque converters.

Other posts indicate the transmissions are weak, what do I look for, or is it inevitable that it will need replacing?

Thank you

Timing belt needs to be done around 75k miles. You'll have a really tough time logging temp levels (ross-tech.com), but yes when the TC slips (and usually throws CEL) the trans fluid heats up, cooking the trans for lack of description. Trans are on the weaker side, and if car is tuned for power they can go south quick. VIN numbers above 905500 seem to hold up better as there was a manufacturing update made around this time. There is a little oil cooler pipe that can cost you a few thousand, many other repairs can too, so make sure you know a good shop or can wrench. Find one that's been owned by an enthusiast where the needed repairs and upkeep have been done.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Let's start with what are the last 6 numbers of the VIN? As it's a 2004, I'm guessing above 905500? If so, you've got the newer TC seal, and shouldn't need to worry about the TC overheat/lockup and trans-thrashing (at least for that particular common problem)

Look for service records. The car is 10 years old and only has 80,000km?
    When was the timing belt done, and did they replace the water pump, idler pulleys, etc... with that?
    Look for oil leaks on rear of engine, at the trans output shaft, and from the valve covers
    Has regular tune-up type maintenance been completed?

DRC was replaced - with what?

Rotors/pads were replaced - with OE? You'll want to toss those Textar pads before they groove up perfectly good rotors. DIY will run ~$325 for pads all around

Best place I found to start was:
    1) Copy of maintenance records
    if those look good,
    2) Take it to an Audi dealership, have them perform a pre-purchase inspection - should take ~1.5-2 hours, and will cost time * labor rate (usually no more than $200US)

Devil's in the details!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

^^^...and all that too!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Erik - great info THANKYOU
    The VIN I am seeing has last 6 digits of 901526
    In regards to the DRC the cause refers to 43A8 Recall - by Audi dealer and for correction to problem they say Completed and replaced all 4 struts.
    Cam belt was done at 38K
    Owner supplied brake pads and rotors and are not OE - he upgraded them.

Thank you for the valid info - VIN last 6 numbers I see are 901526

Quote Originally Posted by KBAN View Post
    Erik - great info THANKYOU
    The VIN I am seeing has last 6 digits of 901526
    In regards to the DRC the cause refers to 43A8 Recall - by Audi dealer and for correction to problem they say Completed and replaced all 4 struts.
    Cam belt was done at 38K
    Owner supplied brake pads and rotors and are not OE - he upgraded them.
    No worries, glad I could help some

Did Audi allocate different VINs for '04 Canadaian RS6's? What's the build date? My 905530 had a build date of 10/03 and seems to be okay.

When the DRC service was performed under recall, they just replaced hardware and recharged it - you still have DRC, and it will fail again. Be ready to spend $2-3k on parts, plus installation, to go to a good coilover or adjustable coilover suspension.

When the cam belt (timing belt) service was done, check out the parts list - did they replace the cam tensioner pulleys, water pump, idler pulleys as well? If not, half-ass job, and just asking for your water pump to seize up on you.

Rotors/pads upgrade - what rotors and pads did he upgrade to? JHM 2-piece rotors (cryo treated?), Zimmerman? Hawk HPS/HPC pads, EBC redstuff/yellowstuff, etc...?

Sounds like previous owner was something of an enthusiast, should be able to tell you every nut and bolt he touched and what replacements he put in...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Did Audi allocate different VINs for '04 Canadaian RS6's? What's the build date? My 905530 had a build date of 10/03 and seems to be okay.

O_E
    Yes, the VINs for Canadian RS6 are different and don't fall into the range of the US VINs of 904xxx - 905xxx
    There are a very few outliers with the US VINs - there are only a couple that have 903xxx and obviously the other unicorns (RS600, RS6 Avants, etc)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thank you for the valid info - VIN last 6 numbers I see are 901526

mine is 901510 & was built 03/04 & also came with the JHM front rotors from p/o. So far
    solid, I would go for it
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Good to hear, so this one I am looking at is a little later than yours.
    Have you had any other issues/problems with yours?

Thank you

Erik - rotors are stock Audi and pads are Stop Tec

DRC was done with the factory upgrade - dealer said they addressed the original failure, and should not be a problem again. If it does fail again will dealer cover cost?

Erik - rotors are stock Audi and pads are Stop Tec

DRC was done with the factory upgrade - dealer said they addressed the original failure, and should not be a problem again. If it does fail again will dealer cover cost?
    Good on rotors, no opinion on pads since I don't have any experience with Stoptech. Personally, I'm particular to Hawk ceramics due to low dust/noise.

If/when the DRC fails again, dealer will not cover cost (at least here in the US, your laws may vary). 905530 had the original FR strut replaced under warranty, then the recall done in 2009/2010?, then failed again in 2011 or 2012 and previous owner replaced DRC with KWV3's at his own cost.

O_E

Good to hear, so this one I am looking at is a little later than yours.
    Have you had any other issues/problems with yours?

Thank you
    KBAN
    No major issues
    did you pull the trigger yet?
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Yes I did buy the car

Welcome aboard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	15546