Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break Pads

Break Pads

What is the cheapest site to get OEM break pads? Anyone know who the OEM company is ? I noticed a squeak coming from the front when I break and the front wheels have what could be break dust on them. Thanks as always!

Do not buy OEM Brake Pads. They will kill your rotors as they wear down, best to upgrade.

Stoptech Street are a good choice and less dust.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Make sure you get brake pads

Hawk HPS, good price, low dust, long life, decent braking. The level up Hawk Ceramics have been liked by some I believe. People also seem to like EBC Yellow.

Been running the Hawks for years, on this and previous car. Not much grab around town, but they do fairly well when heated up...

Oh yes, the squeaking is the metal post in the OEM pad eating into your rotor.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks. I was told that there should be a monitoring device that goes off if the brakes need to be replaced but I will still take a look and see why the squeaking is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by vas160s View Post
    Thanks. I was told that there should be a monitoring device that goes off if the brakes need to be replaced but I will still take a look and see why the squeaking is going on.
    The pins that act as the monitoring device in stock pads don't work for some reason, they just dig grooves into your rotors.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Selling front EBC Yellows, slightly worn for $100 shipped. With wear sensor leads.

-- (i currently have 3 EBC sets: 2 Yellow (1 set currently on car), 1 set BlueStuff with new Rotors, waiting for installation). And rear Yellows on order. Plus others.

My car had Ferodo. Dreadful waste of money. Textar is OEM supplier. Good for OE....but it's still relative.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    The pins that act as the monitoring device in stock pads don't work for some reason, they just dig grooves into your rotors.
    This brings up an interesting point... how far do stock pads safely wear before there is a risk of exposing pins and grooving rotors? I have stock pads now, but rotors are in very nice shape. I have two aftermarket replacement sets, Hawk HPS, which I have run on other cars; and TRW set I got for $44 but seem like nice material. I only bought the TRWs because I ran a set on my BMW with great luck.

I would not go past halfway on stock pads unless they have changed them.

With the cost of rotors I would not want to press my luck.....

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    I would not go past halfway on stock pads unless they have changed them.

With the cost of rotors I would not want to press my luck.....
    Interesting. This is ridiculous. I will take my car's brakes apart tomorrow to check their status.

I have had GMs before, where the rivets could be exposed about 50 miles after the wear indicators hit, and that was bull.

I had squealing when I got the car with stock pads. Looked and found grooves in my rotors, small though. Took apart and both pins were showing and contacting the rotor, not light on dash to indicate brake wear. Assume it's just a faulty system, no codes shown either, not sure anyone has ever had a worn down brake pad indicator...

I had squealing when I got the car with stock pads. Looked and found grooves in my rotors, small though. Took apart and both pins were showing and contacting the rotor, not light on dash to indicate brake wear. Assume it's just a faulty system, no codes shown either, not sure anyone has ever had a worn down brake pad indicator...
    How about with aftermarket brakes? Are their wear sensors garbage too? On GMs and BMWs, it's just a piece of pad material with a thin wire in it. When it wears down to that point, the wire is worn through. and it trips the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb View Post
    How about with aftermarket brakes? Are their wear sensors garbage too? On GMs and BMWs, it's just a piece of pad material with a thin wire in it. When it wears down to that point, the wire is worn through. and it trips the message.
    From what I can tell the computer/ecu doesn't put a warning up regardless. Has anyone ever had a worn brake pad warning? The Hawk HPS has sensor plugins, I think, otherwise you can just bypass it and keep an eye on you pads.

i am sure the warning sensor does work, it's just that you never get to it because of the rivets which start f*****g up your rotors and obviously you'll replace the pads before the wear sensor hits in, but the sensor does work, i had it on when i put the Hawks and it does light up in the dashboard...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

That's funny, I was expecting a pad wear light to come on the car, as with so many other German cars that have a light for everything. My front brakes have been squealing for some time; it's been hard to discern whether it's improper lubrication or whether they're actually due for replacement. There's still a bit of meat on the pads, but my rotors are toast so I need to replace them this time regardless. Now to decide whether to go for Frozen rotors or JHM 2pc...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

So the place it took it to advised that I need front rotors and pads. They quoted about $1060. Is this a fair price? Where could I source the rotors if needed and is there diff brands? Thanks guys!!!

Depends on what rotors are used

Quote Originally Posted by vas160s View Post
    So the place it took it to advised that I need front rotors and pads. They quoted about $1060. Is this a fair price? Where could I source the rotors if needed and is there diff brands? Thanks guys!!!
    Pricing seems ok, just keep in mind you have a variety of rotors (Zimmerman, Audi, Frozen, JHM), and even greater variety of pads. I'd want to know exactly what they are using, better to research and bring your own rotors and pads.

Edit; I'd probably lean towards the Frozen company for extra long life. Not sure anyone here has confirmed if they use Zim or OE rotors, let us know if you talk with them.

Look what I found, http://www.zeckhausen.com/Audi/RS6.htm

Last edited by lswing; September 16th, 2014 at 16:29.

This should be In bold somewhere......