Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have waited to post about my beast's demise...

I have waited to post about my beast's demise...

But it looks like I am just waiting for a phone call from the adjuster on Monday with the number. In case you guys missed it, the Detroit area, along with some areas of Long Island got record rainfall last week from the same storms. I made the mistake of working past 7pm in one of the areas that got over 5 inches of rain (in just the afternoon hours!). I barely made it off campus, waited it out for a while at a restaurant, then was 50 meters from making it out whole when a car in front of me stopped progressing through a big puddle and I was honking for like 20 seconds then cars started coming from the opposite direction, wave/wake washes over the hood, car coughs (never died though) lurches and in hindsight had its dying day right then. The picture in this article pretty much sums up what it was like in the area I was in. http://www.startribune.com/nation/270898541.html

Took days to get a tow because of all the carnage around here. Got it to the Audi dealer mid last week, finally got a "storm coordinator" insurance adjuster assigned late last week, and by Friday Audi had their estimate. $18K+ for a top end rebuild and $30K+ for an engine/block. (There were other things that got toasted that day that were in the estimate, one of my xenon's took on water and both fog lights were broke).

I actually had my car lightly for sale, on here only, but that doesn't change my sadness with regards to the terms I'll go out on with the car.
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26890-Rs6-for-sale

I'll try to let you know how/if it gets salvaged around here, because my interior was near perfect (and I had RNS-E).

I don't think my wife will let me do the salvage thing, kind of like Papa Doc. I think I am going to get a Volt, which for me basically pays for itself because I am 30 miles roundtrip to work and work lets me charge for free. The Volt will then let me, in the spring, by wife's admission get a third car of whatever I choose (likely a classic or something I can take apart and try my first material engine work on).

Part of me, based on how bummed I have been the last couple days, wishes the engine can be rebuilt. How much do you think I could do this for, outside an Audi quote? The one xenon is $750, the two fogs are $250 a piece, and then I figured I'd have $1000 bucks of fluid and tune up items while an engine was out (O2's and such). Who knows, maybe the insurance company will try to source a used engine, Audi said many of the insurance companies have been trying to get them to do that against their wishes (on the 20+ hydrolocked cars they got from that day). Because our engines are so bulletproof, I wouldn't mind one from Shokan. What are the hours to putting in an engine? As background, my Audi dealer (I use them and the indy and me) has always been extremely fair on time and they have an R8, RS tech and their hourly is only $20 more per hour than my indy.

SORRY FOR LONG POST, SAD COUPLE DAYS...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-Eng...214656&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Au...247adb&vxp=mtr
    There are also Foglamps on Ebay for less than $50 a pair used. You can also easily find a headlamp for a couple hundred dollars used at the most.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

But how many hours of labor is it to install that used engine for instance and take parts from my old one, etc.? I gotta think I am looking at like 24 hours of labor right, maybe 40 (a whole week's worth of labor)?

Probably go conservative and say 40hrs. But that last link is for a factory rebuilt block so it is virtually new.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Despite the tech's ability and the dealership's ability, I think they were leery of going short block.

Bummer..Wish you luck in getting everything worked out as you need
    210K miles rolled

Sad news. Sorry to hear. It's a nominal week to perform a quality R&R of a long block for a long block. Lots of work for sure. The one link to the $4,500.00 motor is Aaron's auction. I purchased the tranny he pulled out of the car. He's a solid person to deal with.

As for rebuilding, it's not that difficult to overhaul an engine - even a fancier one like ours.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I have a pair of headlights up for grabs, the mounting bolts were snapped when the girlfriend hit a pothole, but I'd be happy to see it go into someone's rebuild. Check the F/S section, the Xenons fire up perfectly.

Buy it back from insurance (don't let them F*** you on the total buyout offer!) and get it back on the road! You've got the world's best RS6 forum behind you!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I'm probably going to take the offer. I don't have the stomach to do the salvage right now nor does my wife. I think it's more patience for both of us, having a rental car for a long time, not knowing how it will go, when it will be done. Some people have already reached out about what the salvage number to buy is, I'll make sure I get it from the adjuster. It sounds like the guys at the dealer might actually go in on it too and fix it on their own time to flip/have for a while, there are some real car nut techs there (lots of B5 S4's and such).

Sorry to hear of the loss! One less RS6 roaming the streets.

At least buy it back and flip it to one of us or another RS6 enthusiast to make an extra few hundred dollars and makes someone here very happy. I'd buy it from you for $500 or more over your cost but I have my projects to deal with right now already.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Really sorry to hear about this and certainly understand your situation. I had my car since new, babied it for 10+ years, made it hard to say goodbye today as I removed all of the personal items and sent it off to it's next home. You won't want to hear this, but your car was one I was eyeing as a possible replacement for mine. That said, I have to wait for a while to let the memory fade before venturing into another RS6. I figured that I don't have the ability to do the work myself nor the time to figure out how to get someone else to do it, so salvage title and repair ultimately was not an option for me. There are good folks on this board who are likely to make you an offer to keep it as salvage and sell to them, as I did, and at least you know you car won't end up in the crusher.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

(Papadoc) Yea we are in exactly the same boat is what it sounds like.

Everyone else, I am going to get the salvage number today and then I need some firm responses from people if they are interested in the car at that price. Whoever bought it, I'd made sure I got you all the stuff (folders of receipts and such) after you bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Really sorry to hear about this and certainly understand your situation. I had my car since new, babied it for 10+ years, made it hard to say goodbye today as I removed all of the personal items and sent it off to it's next home. You won't want to hear this, but your car was one I was eyeing as a possible replacement for mine. That said, I have to wait for a while to let the memory fade before venturing into another RS6. I figured that I don't have the ability to do the work myself nor the time to figure out how to get someone else to do it, so salvage title and repair ultimately was not an option for me. There are good folks on this board who are likely to make you an offer to keep it as salvage and sell to them, as I did, and at least you know you car won't end up in the crusher.
    DMB sorry you had to go out like this. All the best with your new ride...
    Papadoc you should check out KMartens car which is currently for sale: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...S6-76-5K-miles I have seen the car and it's a very nice example with all maintenance done.
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

OK. I got the salvage number from my insurance co. What are people willing to pay, please PM me ASAP.... The RS6/R8 tech is also interested in the car at the dealer so he is in the mix, and then if he doesn't do it another tech is second in line. To summarize situation, you are looking at a low 70K mile car (can't remember exact mileage) with brand new tires (Conti DW) and completely refinished wheels with all service completely up to date. Gray on silver, RNS-E, milltek, Oct, Hotchkiss, etc. etc. etc.

What is needed is an engine build likely due to a rod (never 100% diagnosed because the insurance company didn't want to waste a bunch of money diagnosing). I will give the buyer all my receipts bolstering the timing belt changes, strut, bushings, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, tires & wheels, and tons of other service. (Not that some of this maintenance matters anymore due to the rebuild need.)

What about Vast performance in Ferndale? He works on my RS6 and S4. Call me if you have any questions or need contact information.

I called them once and ended up using Munk's if I didn't use the dealer or do it myself.

I am headed there this eve if you want I can ask him for you. I know he is trying to keep his business small and under the radar.

Ask him if he wants to buy the car or fix the car?