Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this goodbye to the forum?

Is this goodbye to the forum?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ouch .jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	15405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ouch 2.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	15406

My 19 yo son managed to run my car off the road into a chain link fence, the pictures tell the story. Was fooling around, hit a curb on an onramp and bounced right into this fence. CSAA had us take it to a local shop that does very good but very expensive work. Right intercooler is toast, but no damage to the engine. They included an amazing quote of $1500 to replace the clear bra. Minus that, the estimate came to $17,200! Of course CSAA does not want to pay this. They are offering me $15,750 which includes the deductible, and if I choose to keep the car and get it repaired, $13,000. I bought the car in March 2004 new, have put 141,00 miles on it, and while it has a rebuilt trans, I have the TC code popping up while still under warranty for the repair. Car has been filled with BND fluids for most of its life, has 19" Euro titanium wheels, APR exhaust, APR ECU tune, and interior is excellent. Wifey wants to just call it quits and take the settlement, which frankly is better than I would have guessed. This was my daily driver until last November, and I've had a great 10 years with it. I think I could take it to another local shop I have used and get the repairs done closer to the settlement amount, but would then have a salvage title. So, I am looking to my friends on this board to weigh in, and if nothing else, alert you to a good salvage vehicle should you need some parts from a babied beast.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

They only offering you 15,750 for your totaled rs6. Should be at least 22k to 25k.
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Damn.

This would be an easy fix. Look at what the member did with the deer hit.

That said, buy back the car from insurance and i will take it. If you dont wish to fix it.

Bummer- I hope you manage to keep it alive and continue to be on-board the Crazy Train.
    210K miles rolled

Tell them to stuff their offer of <$16k and let you know what they're really willing to pay you - even with the mileage, your offer should be no lower than 22k. Remind them about the one-owner, documented maintenance, etc... I hate how they pull the offer numbers from any RS available on the market - sure I can pick one up for 14k, but then I'm going to be putting another 10 into it to get it back into the maintenance schedule, not to mention how badly it may have been abused over the years being out of proper maintenance... :| That really grinds my gears!
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

If you give it to the ins. co., be sure to take off those wheels first.

I have a set you can swap them out with.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Ugh, bummer, hope it works out well, very nice RS6 you had there, perfect.

I might title this thread "Is this goodbye to my 19 year old"...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I might title this thread "Is this goodbye to my 19 year old"...
    I told him we're getting a Yaris for him to drive as punishment.

Thanks, all, I'm going to start the process of hanging on to the car and having it repaired. The quote from the body shop included over $13,000 in parts, and in going over much of the estimate, they must have obtained numbers from a local dealer as they are at least 20-25% more than ECS. I have another shop that we've used that I will likely move the car to if the first won't negotiate the price with me. The one additional cost I have to figure in is what I will need to do to keep the wife happy with this decision!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Yaris, haha, that's brutal...poor kid. Well glad he's ok, too bad it's a spendy/tough car to fix, but great to hear you'll be sticking with it. I'm thinking the boy will be doing lots of free work for you and the wife, maybe that will help.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Crap I just noticed the tow truck in your initial picture.

Hopefully that was just to pull it out of the grass and back onto the road.

Flatbed is the proper transport method for quattro.

If it was towed with two wheels up and two on the ground, I'm not sure if there's any rule of thumb on what happens or if there are any speed or distance limits.

Tell the shop you need the numbers lowered and you must keep the vehicle. Take the clear bra off the estimate

Start to research another shop.

Beg the wife.

Kick the kid and give him some chores to do.

Beg the wife.

Fight the 15700

Beg the wife.

Call me for a check if the above falls through

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post

Thanks, all, I'm going to start the process of hanging on to the car and having it repaired. The quote from the body shop included over $13,000 in parts, and in going over much of the estimate, they must have obtained numbers from a local dealer as they are at least 20-25% more than ECS. I have another shop that we've used that I will likely move the car to if the first won't negotiate the price with me. The one additional cost I have to figure in is what I will need to do to keep the wife happy with this decision!

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Egad. That's WAY to nice after a chump move like this in dad's baby. You should get him a used Lada or an old Chevette that needs weekly effort to keep running.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yuck, this hurts to see.

As for settlement amounts...this is what I got after a small battle for mine with ~88k miles at the time. Not sure what that works out to in CA money and near double the mileage.

The final agreed ACV was $19250. But that was after sending them a spreadsheet comparing ALL RS6's currently for sale on autotrader/cars.com and KBB/Napa valuations. They agreed to do a "dealer value estimate" because I pushed for it to be considered a specialty vehicle which averaged into the above agreed ACV.
    Buyback amount was equal to salvage value of $3900.

I spent days building a spreadsheet to determine, if I did most of the work myself, could I make the numbers work. I also want to mention that when my car was returned to me the repair shop had left a new estimate on the dash which was about half the original $15k estimate they provided my insurance company. I'll have to go back and look at the paper work but it was the exact same repairs line by line; maybe lower labor costs or something hmmm. Turns out the estimates had some incorrect part numbers and a few items that I decided did not need to be replaced but that's another story.

Anyway, knowing what I know now about these cars and if mine had been in the state yours appears to be in from the pics I probably would let this one go.

Sorry, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post

Anyway, knowing what I know now about these cars and if mine had been in the state yours appears to be in from the pics I probably would let this one go.
    Also, BEFORE letting it go -> Get the APR ECU and other goodies...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Especially those wheels. Keep me in mind if you want to get rid of them.

In all seriousness, bethridg has a point on cutting your losses. Be sure to do a thorough examination of any potential frame damage.

Ben

No worries....I will take the whole thing off papadoc's hands if he lets it go.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post

Also, there is the RS6 on here that just got the timing belt/waterpump done and is selling for $15.5, if it is worth it buy your car back and buy his also?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Friend of mine just bought a brand new yaris, he found a turbo kit from Garrett to take it over 200hp, as it sits now though we call it his growler when you step on the gas all it does is get loud and keeps sitting still.

Seriously though if this gets parted out can I buy the gas tank? One of my fuel pumps isn't holding a perfect seal and my mechanic thinks it may be a bad tank at this point.