Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighting the heat

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    What's wrong with having your laptop right there monitoring through VAGCOM...just keep looking down while driving fast, what could go wrong?
    ^ I reckon I could duct tape the notebook to the dash for an Arkansas heads up display. ;0

The gauge will allow me to set a high temp alarm- could be helpful during the track adventures. I think it would provide some mental peace that things are okay with the visual. Oh- and did I mention- I get to play with colors..

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...ure-gauge.aspx
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^ I reckon I could duct tape the notebook to the dash for an Arkansas heads up display. ;0

The gauge will allow me to set a high temp alarm- could be helpful during the track adventures. I think it would provide some mental peace that things are okay with the visual. Oh- and did I mention- I get to play with colors..

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/elite...ure-gauge.aspx
    Fancy, me want...

Good idea with the warning for high temp. Please let us know how the wiring in goes.

I thought the Arkansas heads up display was yur buddy with his head out the sunroof...maybe that's Tennessee....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

so LS, should i just ditch the trans/oil cooler idea for now, and put the money towards Water/Meth and a tune?

^That is where I would put the $ for the best bang. Test and make sure the OEM stuff is working properly. A tune will stress and highlight the weak links.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^That is where I would put the $ for the best bang. Test and make sure the OEM stuff is working properly. A tune will stress and highlight the weak links.
    Sounds like a plan then, thanks for all the help guys. One last question will those rotors work on our car from that link I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    A note on heat....I drove home today....90 degrees....made the climb from 4200 feet to 7500 over the course of 20 minutes, in and out of the boost running 70 -100. A/C/ on. Aux rad delete. Noticed the power starting to go and saw the temp to the high side of H. Not sure if it's the aux rad delete or something else. Guess I could run them side by side to see. Any ideas?
    Curious on the follow up. Any findings or further issues?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Curious on the follow up. Any findings or further issues?
    Haven't had a problem since. I did put the Eurocharged tune on Thing 2 and WOW what a difference. On Thing 3 during the track day had the same thing happen after running hard for 7-8 laps. Temp gets high and the power drops. Had to cool her for a lap then go back at it. I'm guessing that's just the nature of the beast.

Almost sounds like the t-stat isn't properly working. My car just started running borderline hot. Verified via a scanner. Fan is kicking on a bit soon. Gauge reads as it did before, but now 15F hotter.
    Same issue on #2 (customer car). Gauge also reads normal, however. Assumed to not have cooling issues..... has all 3 rads.

I don't buy into "nature of the beast" idea. I think it's indicative of root issues that need tending. I have A and B car that seems to back this up. However, taking it a step further with track time isn't practical-- at least for now. I plan to track my car hopefully later this year.

Also liking the Eurocharge tune (vs Revo tune on my car). Thinking I may need to consider changing. Nice smooth power.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Well things just keep getting better, the aux fan that is supposed to come on with A/C took a dump, shop said the fan and fan control are shot, so my question is can I put a normal electric fan on there like a flex-a-lite fan or something to that effect. Because I really don't wanna pay 750 bucks for a fan and controller unless I really have to. If putting a normal fan on there is a bad idea I'll just go with oem stuff but wanted to run it by everyone first before doing anything.

Which fan? the large one or the smaller one?

The large one has the controller built into the connector mounted to the lock carrier.

The smaller one has the controller mounted remotely under the driver's side frame rail.

Is there any back story to what caused all this? The harness for all this stuff could be the issue.

The HVAC head unit could also be the cause. VAG-COM should be throwing faults if this is the issue.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

It's the smaller one, and not much of a story, noticed the other day ac wasn't blowing cold when I wasn't driving, opened the good and saw smaller fan wasn't going, took it to the shop and he called me said fan and controller are done. So we're trying to think of options other then paying so much for a fan and controller.

Price is not so bad.....

N/M

2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

That still hurts a little when I look at it, just to see that an electric fan cost 3 something lol.

Fan and controller and not the green t-stat switch?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Fan and controller and not the green t-stat switch?
    would that cause both of them to seem as if they weren't working? and is that a easy part to get to?

My son's A6 4.2 ran hot...A/C ran hot....replaced this switch and all was well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-VW-Cool...15932a&vxp=mtr

Why would any mechanic assume that the controller AND the fan are bad? In my business, dual failure items are extremely rare. I would guess that the sender that told the controller to tell the fan to turn on failed. The switch is on the left aft bank. Not sure how to get to it on the RS as my engine was out when I did mine. The A6 wasn't bad.

Start with the simple stuff....and work your way up to "remove engine" BTW...this is a very common fault in a 4.2

Ok would love to start there, can anyone tell me how to swap it out? Is it easy to get to?

There are a couple of threads about this I believe, search for "Coolant temp sensor".. I switched out mine, it's not difficult. It's made much easier if you remove the airbox. It can be done with the airbox in (I did it), but I would srecimmend just removing it as it saves a lot of headache. Shouldn't take more than a half hour or so.

One thing to note, when my was going out the coolant temp gauge in the instrument cluster started to intermittently not work.. Has this happened with your car?
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.