Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighting the heat

Quote Originally Posted by SA RS6 View Post
    ok i need a little more help, im trying to pick the oil cooler to run, i thought about the Mishimoto 10 row oil cooler, but now im thinking that it may be to small. So what does everyone think? would that be good enough? or should i get something wider, more rows? this is the one i was looking at getting-

http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMOC.../dp/B007ZG28LQ

thanks in advanced for all the help!
    Why the focus on the oil cooler? Excessive oil temps? Planning track days?

Judging from the pics, it may be smaller than the OE oil cooler. The production dimensions appear to be for the box it comes in.

I'd be concerned about flow. Pressure drop. BTU heat rejection rates (if anyone even publishes that info) for X-chassis size. Personally, wouldn't go with any other than Setrab. Have one on my other car- 25yrs no issues so far. It's huge and use a t-stat control to prevent over-cooling. Which our cars I believe already have.

Better oil will also help reduce oil temps. Noticed 10F drop or so in my other cars.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

This is always a Hot topic for the summer. Was actually going to bring this up.

Had the worst turbo heat induced soak the other day in my 2+yrs of seat time. Spent too much time in town (busy coffee drive thru), stuck at stop lights, then time to go. Put my foot down to the kick down point in 2nd gear......and waited......and waited...and waited. Couldn't even get past a couple of lazy body on frame types (truck/SUV's). About 3-5 seconds later the power finally decides to show up. Off it goes, but still apparently ingesting lots of hot air. Massive heat soak issues.

Need water spray!

AND after a YEAR trying to get someone at DO to finalize my wholesale account, finally it's done- not a moment too soon. They have a new sales manager, very nice fellah. It's apparent the business is rapidly growing, trying to keep up with demand. A tricky balance, which I understand.

And thanks to Lswing, who's been the front runner on this forum in helping sort the in's and out's.

Couldn't think of a better solution for performance and protection. Time to put an order in!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Yea the reason for the focus on the oil cooler is just due to heat, sometimes my oil temps get up to just a hair below 250 and that's just normal driving around sometimes, I just wanna be able to play around or daily drive without having to worry. Just trying to take care of some of the heat soak, that's why I'm also doing water/meth.

1-series Setrab STD Oil Cooler
    HP range Part Number Width (in) Height (in) ∆P (psi) btu/hr range
    100-150 50-119-7612 8.27 5.75 2.2/2.6 13,000-17,500
    160-190 50-125-7612 8.27 7.60 2.1/2.4 17,000-22,000
    170-230 50-134-7612 8.27 10.39 1.0/1.5 21,000-27,000
    175-275 50-144-7612 8.27 13.53 1.0/1.3 26,000-35,000
    300-400 50-150-7612 8.27 15.31 0.9/1.2 29,000-40,000
    325-425 50-160-7612 8.27 18.31 0.6/1.1 33,000-45,000
    600+ 50-172-7612 8.27 22.13 0.8/1.0 40,000-60,000

i was thinking of getting the 50-160-7612, would that be a good one to go for? i think its a 60 row.

Yea the reason for the focus on the oil cooler is just due to heat, sometimes my oil temps get up to just a hair below 250 and that's just normal driving around sometimes, I just wanna be able to play around or daily drive without having to worry. Just trying to take care of some of the heat soak, that's why I'm also doing water/meth.
    Could you just lower the t-stat/spring in the filter sandwich plate during the times you anticipate the need for more cooling?
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

i didn't know that could be done, another reason i was gonna have him do the oil cooler is because hes going to put a better trans cooler on the car for me, so i figured why not do a better oil cooler too while hes in there.

I was just going to follow these guys, seem to know what they are doing...you could get estimated measurements from the pictures. I think they sent me numbers a few years back, try asking them.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...Cooler-Fitment
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post

Had the worst turbo heat induced soak the other day in my 2+yrs of seat time. Spent too much time in town (busy coffee drive thru), stuck at stop lights, then time to go. Put my foot down to the kick down point in 2nd gear......and waited......and waited...and waited. Couldn't even get past a couple of lazy body on frame types (truck/SUV's). About 3-5 seconds later the power finally decides to show up. Off it goes, but still apparently ingesting lots of hot air. Massive heat soak issues.

Need water spray!

AND after a YEAR trying to get someone at DO to finalize my wholesale account, finally it's done- not a moment too soon. They have a new sales manager, very nice fellah. It's apparent the business is rapidly growing, trying to keep up with demand. A tricky balance, which I understand.

And thanks to Lswing, who's been the front runner on this forum in helping sort the in's and out's.

Couldn't think of a better solution for performance and protection. Time to put an order in!
    Thanks G2, glad to hear you got on board with DO. The kit has been solid for a few years now, quality and pricing seems good.

I've been getting some heat soak for sure here in TX when it's 100 out. Car registers about 110-120, and just like you mentioned, push the gas and wait a bit, although not as bad as you describe. I'll attribute that to a good w/m spray making the difference.

Hoping to do some more data logging in the next month or so with medium and max spray levels. Might be at the local drag strip, so there will be race gas involved, what a shame.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I was just going to follow these guys, seem to know what they are doing...you could get estimated measurements from the pictures. I think they sent me numbers a few years back, try asking them.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21...Cooler-Fitment
    that is where i got the idea lol. i did ask them he told me that he didnt remember the specs on it, but they could make it for me if i bring the car to them...

Need water spray!

Cheers, G2/Gary

Repost???
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

dont wanna start another thread about something ive asked before so ill do it here, i just stumbled across the fact that older Gallardo rotors are the exact same as ours, so i was wonder if these will work

http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Rea...08_p_5534.html

would be a costly upgrade to start, but when it comes time to do a full brake job all you gotta do is buy the ring which is 585 for the pair. sorry to side track just wondering

...hes going to put a better trans cooler on the car for me, so i figured why not do a better oil cooler too while hes in there.
    What kind of trans cooler are you having installed?
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    What kind of trans cooler are you having installed?
    running this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70255

was told by my shop that it should be big enough, and they work great they have installed a few on other cars. what do you think?

running this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70255

was told by my shop that it should be big enough, and they work great they have installed a few on other cars. what do you think?
    Hmmm, I would think it's not much more space than what's already on the car. And the height would block airflow to the radiator.

I remember being a bit suspicious about some info/quotes you posted from that shop earlier. You sure you trust them to add the parts on, work on the car? Just seems a bit off to be recommending such cheap parts. Do they know you already have a trans cooler?

I know it's good to save money, but I'd be looking to get high quality radiators that won't leak and get the job done for years. I found a company a while back that had pre-made one's for around $300 each, size seemed like it would be a good fit, wide and not too tall.

I had looked into adding another trans cooler inline, and mounting it down behind one of the IC's. Figured heat soak would defeat it though, and no reason to mess with the lines. Not the best idea in the long run I thought...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Be-Cool-Radiat...oductId=893135

I'm interested in pursuing options if helpful. At the moment, I'm thinking about putting a transmission temp gauge into the cluster pod. I've not monitored the temps previously- and the real-time info may help prevent a catastrophic issue.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    I'm interested in pursuing options if helpful. At the moment, I'm thinking about putting a transmission temp gauge into the cluster pod. I've not monitored the temps previously- and the real-time info may help prevent a catastrophic issue.
    What's wrong with having your laptop right there monitoring through VAGCOM...just keep looking down while driving fast, what could go wrong?

I did some temp monitoring when trying to troubleshoot the bad temp sensor, another nice feature. Temps were fine on a 75 degree day....do you get those in Texas?